• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do NTJ use evidence more?

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
are NTJs more inductive while NTPs are more deductive?

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's the opposite, NTJs seem to be more deductive. Care to explain your theory?

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Agree with Lit. NTP seem much more inductive. Elaborate on your theory please!

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
My idea seem to usually form from the collection of evidence.

Once evidence rises enough to support an idea, I recognize it and focus on it.

Isn't that inductive?

Am I NTP?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think it's the opposite, NTJs seem to be more deductive. Care to explain your theory?

Logic is deductive reasoning which is highly abstract.

NTPs are Ti types. Ti is introverted and more in tune with the realm of mind and abstraction. NTJs are Te types. Te is extroverted and more in tune with the physical world than with the realm of mind. One who is more in tune with the realm of mind tends to rely on abstract reasoning more than experiences with the physical world.

Ti types are more in tune with the world of abstraction than with the physical world, therefore they tend to use deduction more than induction. Te types are more in tune with the physical world and therefore use induction more than deduction, as induction is grounded in experience and observation more than a mere abstract reasoning process.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

Isn't that inductive?

Am I NTP?

no that's deductive

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Hang on, let me find a study to support or deny your claim.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
It does seem to me that NiTe would lead one to move more from the general to the specific (deductive) whereas TiNe would lead one to move from the specific to the general (inductive).

Then again, it would not surprise me if NeTi moved from the general to the specific, and if TeNi moved from the specific to the general. Is it possible that intuition being primary or secondary to thinking could play a role?

EDIT: But wait...evidence...wouldn't "evidence" be used in both styles? Pardon me, my understanding of this is only rudimentary. Or are the rules and theorems presumably used in deductive reasoning, not considered evidence? Wait, yes, that must be it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP

Isn't that inductive?

Am I NTP?

It all depends on the argument you construct from that evidence.

poppy said:
It does seem to me that NiTe would lead one to move more from the general to the specific (deductive) whereas TiNe would lead one to move from the specific to the general (inductive).

That is actually not the difference between deductive and inductive arguments.

A deductive argument is one in which the conclusion is claimed to follow with absolute necessity from the premises. Any added premises (whether true or false) have no effect on this necessity.

An inductive argument is one in which the conclusion is claimed to follow from the premises only with probability. This probability is a matter of degree, and this degree can change in light of new facts added as premises.

Although it is usually the case that deductive arguments move from general to specific and inductive arguments move from specific to general, both deductive and inductive arguments can move in either direction.

Here is an example of an inductive argument that moves from general to specific:

Most dogs have four legs.
Fido is a dog.
Therefore, Fido has four legs.

An example of a deductive argument that moves from specific to general...

I have three dogs whose names are Fido, Rover, and Champ.
Fido has four legs.
Rover has four legs.
Champ has four legs.
Therefore, all of my dogs have four legs.

poppy said:
But wait...evidence...wouldn't "evidence" be used in both styles? Pardon me, my understanding of this is only rudimentary. Or are the rules and theorems presumably used in deductive reasoning, not considered evidence? Wait, yes, that must be it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Possibly, but "evidence" is usually intended to refer to the premises of an argument. Rules and theorems set forth general properties of certain types of arguments or premises.

Now, as far as the OP goes, as an NTP, I use whichever form of reasoning seems to be most appropriate in light of the evidence I have acquired. The enjoyment I get from using each type is about equal.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
^Thanks for clarifying :)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
This discussion is pointless. Intuition is inductive and Thinking is deductive. All NTs are both inductive and deductive. The type of reason that a person relies on more has to do more with individual preference than type.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
We both obviously use it a lot. I think the difference is that NTJ's will make a conclusion first and then find the evidence, even if we do adjust accordingly after the fact.