• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Do ENTPs Often Lie or Stretch the Truth?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I also notice a common thread of ENTP's thinking that they are the best.

Why is this? Aren't they objectively logical enough to deduce that they are not?

I will never be able to answer to the wisdom of an infp

Qre:us

I also notice a common thread of ENTP's thinking that they are the best.

Best implies a comparison. So it would depend on who we're comparing ourselves to:

Why is this? Aren't they objectively logical enough to deduce that they are not?

Then we objectively, logically, conclude, that yes, we are the best.

(bonus points if you saw the relevance to the OP in ^) ;)

G

Ginkgo

I will never be able to answer to the wisdom of an infp

Hah, I knew I'd make you squirm.

Yes, I did see the silliness in my post before I clicked "enter", but I decided to go with it anyway just to see what you would say.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Hah, I knew I'd make you squirm.

Yes, I did see the silliness in my post before I clicked "enter", but I decided to go with it anyway just to see what you would say.

You're the boss boss

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Sometimes the spectacular thing is true. We tend to become involved in bizarre situations because we take a lot of risks.

Sometimes I just want to joke. I always clear up the confusion after I've gotten the (hilarious) reaction I wanted. Also, sometimes people can't spot joking, so I can see this being confused for lying.

But I'd actually say I'm the opposite of a liar. I tell the truth even when I probably shouldn't, and this causes problems sometimes.

Exactly. I have got in trouble so many times for telling the truth.:happy:

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
For you, I'd say...mmm....
beavis-and-butt-head.jpg

Since I'm being nice, you can be BOTH of them.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpl4bGC6Ec"][YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpl4bGC6Ec"][/YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTl2wwnx44"][YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTl2wwnx44"][/YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Take his advise and go to college... muhaha

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have a problems with ENTP's exxagerating unless it indirectly harms others. For example, speak negatively about someone in such exxagerated tone, influencing other peoples opinion negatively towards that someone unjustly.

I always have a problem with lying, because it doesn't solve anything.

My brother has periods of seemingly frustration in which he just goes out of control. But there are also days in which he is more composed. I'm not sure what to think of it in the grand picture. But I do label him as an unhealthy ENTP. Other ENTP's I know, although exxagerating, are at least aware of repurcussions and thus composed when they need to be.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I definatly stretch the truth. I like to make my stories funnier. I often take two seperate funny stories were I was in similar situations and put them together to make an even funnier story.

Lie though? Never tbh. Never outright lie. I don't think you will ever get the full truth out of me - because a) I'm not always sure what it is and b) I don't like telling anybody everything means I can suprise people! But lying is so uneffective. I can never remember all the details. I find it easier to tell a vague half truth that vaguelly fits and then leave the other person to fill it in so that they can't trip me up later.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Give P types licence and they all veer into all sorts of directions.

OP issues
I exaggerate for effect - making a point etc... usualy based on fact but bigger. I can be forgetful and not realising I'm being inncaurate (I don't call this lieing). I'm not a particualrly dishonest, I'm pretty open and pretty straight really. I do big lies - ususally to people in authority about every 12 years or so - I always get found out, but I've learned that if that is the frequency I do it, then dont' sweat - other people are much worse.

I dont' lie in normal life because I'm really obviously not telling the truth. I find the concept of telling lies in day to day life bizzar - how can anyone not get tripped up.

My N spots a lie a mile away.

There is always lieing to yourself, but that requires you to be aware you are doing it.... Which I think is difficult to report on. Over estimating your abilities and the likes.

I tend not to lie deliberately I find truth easier to deal with, more efficient and straight forward

I'm more likely to get kicked for being bluntly truthful

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I think the point to make is that entps might not believe in the concept of observable reality/truth (and even less Truth) to begin with.
I tend to use multiple views of situations at different levels as one might use tools, so I can see how that trait could turn into a tendency to lie.

In general, when people argue about how entps stretch facts when they argue i view this perspective as a sign of the main difference between entps and most other type: the fact that for us switching perspective is not only effortless but natural, and that most people see it as an effort and therefor transfer that feeling onto us, assuming we 'expand energy to achieve some endgoal' when it's simply how we function.

entps are probably the closest type to the 'natural positivist', we naturally assume that one theory can replace and be as good to describe something as another internally and externally coherent theory.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Gah! I knew there was something I was missing in my posts earlier I was trying to think of...

Fact stretching and exaggerations during debates.

Thanks eck and tinkerbell for the reminder.

By now I'm sure people have noticed when I argue, my 'examples' are often blown way out of proportion and grossly exaggerated. This isn't something that I'm doing to try to lie, nor does it mean I'm expending energy to do so.

I do so simply because a 'normal' example rarely fully shows the conceptualized thinking pattern, I automatically break things down into the line of reasoning, and then think of a better way to explain that same line of reasoning amplified to gross proportions to be obvious and easy to see. "That's not the same thing!" doesn't matter if yeu got to the same location by the same form of reasoning. Circumstances mean nothing, if someone was driving drunk... and got caught... they should be punished for the act. If someone was driving drunk and KILLED someone, they should still be punished the same severity for the same act; the circumstances should not matter, the fact that it was reckless endangerment of life is whot matters, whether life was actually lost or not is not the question at hand, but whether it was placed in a position where it could've been lost.

Of course, then our prisons we be overflowing. The point though, is that the intent, and the action and the reasoning is whot's important, not the circumstances. I find it stupid that if someone trips and accidentally kills someone by trying to grab onto the first thing in reach, and they knock someone over, breaking their hip, and that person dies... that they can be punished with manslaughter... for tripping and having reflexes. Whereas someone can actively try to harm someone, but because they failed, they could be sentenced to less, merely because of circumstances.

Or my favorite example...

Yeu are at a fancy dinner, and pick up the wrong fork since yeu had 3 of them to choose from. Yeu look silly.

Different circumstance, yeu're being held hostage at that fancy dinner, and someone who's insane demands that yeu pick the right fork; yeu choose the wrong one, and someone is killed for yeur incorrect decision.

The same reasoning, the same action, the same issues... but circumstances changed the end result.

The point is, even though the latter example was blown WAY out of proportion... the same situation occured. There was no difference on the individual's level. It was far easier to see the absurdity of blaming them for their ignorance, and pressuring them with a punishment if they made error or asked a question, which enforced that they remained ignorant. They were not allowed to ask for the answer or admit they didn't know, and were punished for it. The point remains valid, even though it's obviously blown waaaaaaaay out of proportion and just looks silly.

But being able to change the circumstances to the level of absurdity, is whot shows yeu the truth behind things. If the SAME line of reasoning is absurd, with a change of perspective, then it probably is flawed.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Everybody lies. Show me someone who claims to never lie and I will show your a liar.

I'm sucked back into wasting time here again. What do I have to do to get banned?

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Everybody lies. Show me someone who claims to never lie and I will show your a liar.

I'm sucked back into wasting time here again. What do I have to do to get banned?

I never lie. I omit key details, I imply certain likely scenarios which may not be true, I use sarcasm frequently and so on... but I never directly say something that is false. There's far too many other tools which work FAR better, and don't have the same risks associated with them.

My favorite example of this:

A vase is broken in the house, yeu're asked if yeu broke it. Yeu reply by stating that yeu were gone most of the afternoon so it would've been difficult for yeu to've broken it, however, yeu think yeur sister was in the house at some point during the day so maybe they know something about it, so yeu say they should ask her.

This excludes the fact that yeu were home for 5 minutes in the afternoon when yeu broke the vase, it excludes that yeu know yeur sister was at the store when it happened, and it implies a likely scenario that yeu know isn't true, however yeu never once said anything that was false, and if yeu get caught and called on it, yeu can fall back to stating that every word yeu said was true, and it was their fault for jumping to conclusions. Yeu never SAID that yeur sister did it, yeu just IMPLIED she did. Yeu never SAID yeu didn't break it, yeu just said it would've been difficult (and it was difficult, but yeu did do it). Every single thing was factual, yeu didn't lie.

This is my key method of 'lying'. By using the truth. It works so much better than just making something up. And I never have to actually state a falsehood.

As lying requires stating something yeu know to be not true as fact, I never lie. And am not a liar. So there.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Kat - lies of omission are still lies.... LOL (psssst - you'll still rot in hell for all eternity for not telling the truth :) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D