• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Fi, the beautiful curse

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Not too long ago, maybe a year, a friend of mine from this site who you all are familiar with in some way and who is famous for his controversially elevated opinion of his type was explaining to me a theory which ranked the NT types according to their impartiality.

Since I haven't consulted with him about this thread I won't discuss what his theory way specifically but suffice to say that he chastised Fi using NTs for having an even more partial form of F.

At the time I thought it was a little silly but I'm starting to warm up to the idea.

Fi operates in me as a sort of on/off switch that makes me either support and idea or oppose it. It is reponsible, I think, for the clear disparity in quality between my criticisms. When I am forced to criticize something which my Fi is indifferent or positive towards, it takes a force of will far greater than when Fi opposes the subject.

While I have often deceived myself as to the reason for this phenomenon that could very easily be classed as morality(and may likely be deceiving myself even now), I am confident enough now to say that it is simply the partial reaction of my Fi which aligns me to a cause and not any higher, idealist cause.

However pessimistic this may sound, in the end I believe that Fi's aggregate benefit to me through motivation will be greater than it's negative effects.

So yeah, Fi makes me dumb but it makes me happy also.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Fi operates in me as a sort of on/off switch that makes me either support and idea or oppose it. It is reponsible, I think, for the clear disparity in quality between my criticisms. When I am forced to criticize something which my Fi is indifferent or positive towards, it takes a force of will far greater than when Fi opposes the subject.

I've recently stopped working with an ENTJ and he ws pretty ruthless about penetrating an idea - and making sure it was rock solid before it progressed. This was really helpful but could be hugely destructive if people on the receiving end were not pretty robust (and at times he tok it way too far to the point of distructiveness).

Question for you - he use to do it with people too. If he met someone he formed an opinion of them in about 15 seconds and he would totally write people off - as not worthy of being known... do you do that shit too?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Fi isn't any more partial than any other function I my opinion.

Actually I'm one of the least partial people I know. I have my preferences but I can be very diplomatic, because quite frankly that's just how I view the world. I can empathize with either side, so I don't usually pick teams ever, really.

I'm partial to impartiality. With that I can agree.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
For me, Fi is usually used to simply relate to others in my life.

Though, there are some times where Fi is partial to an idea. But it usually only goes so far as to make me find any way to make that idea work. If it can't, Fi backs off and said idea is written off.

Ti and Te can dead set on certain methods or ideas as well. All in all, I agree with Sytpg that Fi isn't really the exception. I think partiality is just another thing that isn't necessarily connected to functions. At least not as much as it is to individual experience and value-sets. I could be wrong though.

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
My most recent example of using Fi:

I saw a toddler in a stroller on the bus. He was reaching his hand out to me, and I gave him a high five. Adorable. Then he gets irritated that I go back to reading my book, and so pushes over my crutches so that they land on my broken foot and starts wailing. I remember why I hate children.

I think that this is Fi, which is busted up by some Se and then ignored in favor of Ni for simple self-preservation. It's really no wonder I don't think that Fi is that great.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I seem to distrust Fi as a dominant cognative function. Even though I have seen people (Say INFP's) that seem to be handling themselves very well with it. But the whole grasp and understanding I get from Fi is that it can really go all over the place. And it's natural that for an INTP this is not a prefered reaction. Still, as I don't really feel I understand Fi in all it's complexities, I hold my conclusion in reserve.

But from personal experience I do find Fi to be fairly important is a last resort. Ultimatly not putting too much weight on it. But using it to be able to stand in life stronger and better. Without relying on it.

Without Fi, I would have been a broken, screwed up person. Probably. :p

Fi is the happymaker. (But in dominance seems to often be the sadmaker. *shrug*)

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Fi is the happymaker. (But in dominance seems to often be the sadmaker. *shrug*)

If I let tert. Fi get out of hand it certainly does become the sadmaker, sometimes the judgmental jerk-offmaker too. :laugh: