• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Fe and Fi, the NT version

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nah, it makes you human..and attractive ;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here's what I've seen.

ENTP, tertiary Fe:

1. An attempt to use charm to get out of trouble.
2. Concern with how others are seeing them (I know THAT one all too well).
3. A fondness for eliciting shock or strong reactions in people. Possibly a tendency to be a clown/comedian.

Question: do you think ESTPs do this with tertiary Fe as well? I'm curious because I think I may have mistyped someone I know when I didn't understand as much about MBTI. I thought this person was an F because of certain personality traits, but now I'm thinking could be a T with strongly developed F function...

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Mmm, I like my Fi. Obviously it's selective, but if I trust the person, it's always nice to love :) Fe? Cool to make new friends, but quite hard to sustain for a long period of time without becoming self-conscious.

bLAze

Mmm, I like my Fi. Obviously it's selective, but if I trust the person, it's always nice to love :) Fe? Cool to make new friends, but quite hard to sustain for a long period of time without becoming self-conscious.

Same.
I don't tell people shit about my emotions because I suppress them.

But then I ended up crying to a girl and it felt great. Just like anything else for an ENTJ, all or nothing. Full emotion or no emotion. Go figure!

Once a feeler has my trust, the Fi comes out. Which is why I think T's need F's, and visa versa :)

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
^ Ehhhh that isn't quite what Fe does. It's far more methodical than that.

Also, Fi will apply ethical analysis to everything the same way Ti does without any particular goal in mind. Neither can help it.

How do you mean by methodical? I'll happily adjust my ideas if you can show me that they are incomplete/just plain wrong, but I'm not sure what you are driving at here.

As for Fi, I confess that I was speaking from the view point of tertiary Fi. So basicly, my own experiences. A more prominant Fi function may well moralise on issues of no particular prominance, but I know I don't!

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Fe defines ethics according to the environment. What is right and wrong depends upon what ethical/social standards are observed and practiced by the community group. Fe adapts its conception of ethics to the emotional texture of its environment; this is why strong Fe users are so attuned to the emotional needs of others--the validation comes from without, not from within. To Fe, there is no such thing as "ethics in a vacuum" because we cannot make an external judgment until some external goal or context has been defined.

Aaah. I think I'm getting it now.

People have been saying Fe defines ethics according to social conventions... this is misleading because it makes it sound like Fe users don't make their own decisions about morality and just follow what everybody else thinks. A better way of putting it simply, though still an over-generalization, is that Fe is morally relative and Fi is morally absolute. Yes? So Fe users define what is moral by what helps or harms somewhone, and Fi users define morality as an intrinsic quality that just is.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm glad some ENTJ's weighed in.

I always worry when I see other's descriptions of us.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
INTJ, tertiary Fi:

1. Emotional breakdown. Withdraws into self and dwells on the emotion until it's resolved, even at the expense of external goals.
2. Personal integrity. Will refuse to do anything that goes against their personal code of ethics, even if it benefits them (and insistence on going along with it even if it hurts them). May withdrawn from others or push them away without admitting the reason if more important parts of this code are not shared by these others.
3. Faith. A tendency to have faith in the rationality and good intentions of others until given reason to suspect otherwise.

Yup. Especially at the expense of external goals. Of everything, really, it just kind of takes you over.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes indeed.... Actually I'm still not 100% sure I buy that I moralise depedant on group value, but I guess I grew up with a strain of religion - which may act in that way beyond my consiouness.

good explanation

I don't think that Fe is as much oriented towards society's values, but more the group you're in's values and the overall "Feel" of the group, and trying to maintain what would be ideal as a mood (or you could do the opposite to "attack" people). People good with Fe would also know exactly what to do to maintain an individual's good mood or the group's positive mood (or again, the opposite).

Fe is like a cloud hanging over the group or individual. Someone proficient in Fe can see the color of the cloud, which would change based on the mood. Thus, they would know how to maintain it's good color. People with Fe would be good at seeing the surface emotions of someone (or again the group), and read them and know what to do based on that.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How do you mean by methodical? I'll happily adjust my ideas if you can show me that they are incomplete/just plain wrong, but I'm not sure what you are driving at here.

As for Fi, I confess that I was speaking from the view point of tertiary Fi. So basicly, my own experiences. A more prominant Fi function may well moralise on issues of no particular prominance, but I know I don't!

Your Te and Fi descriptions were pretty good, but you described Fe as a sort of random, aimless "let's just have fun!" kind of function when that's really much more applicable to Se/Ne.

Fe aims to foster emotional connections between people for the purpose of organizing others into purposeful goals. Fe users do tend to make an effort to be personally and emotionally involved with others, but it's less because "hey this is FUN!" (you see that in EFPs a whole lot) and more because they feel it's their moral duty to actively make plans to help others.

As for Ti, it will solve puzzles and such for fun, yes, but I find that this is much more common for NTPs than STPs, because Ne plays a big role in the desire to complete hypothetical patterns. STPs seem to enjoy more hands-on, physical puzzles like electronics or cars, etc.

Remember that Fe is the dominant function of EFJs, meaning people who place it as one of the top two functions are going to be less sporadic/random and much more focused on external world organization.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Your Te and Fi descriptions were pretty good, but you described Fe as a sort of random, aimless "let's just have fun!" kind of function when that's really much more applicable to Se/Ne.

Fe aims to foster emotional connections between people for the purpose of organizing others into purposeful goals. Fe users do tend to make an effort to be personally and emotionally involved with others, but it's less because "hey this is FUN!" (you see that in EFPs a whole lot) and more because they feel it's their moral duty to actively make plans to help others.

As for Ti, it will solve puzzles and such for fun, yes, but I find that this is much more common for NTPs than STPs, because Ne plays a big role in the desire to complete hypothetical patterns. STPs seem to enjoy more hands-on, physical puzzles like electronics or cars, etc.

Remember that Fe is the dominant function of EFJs, meaning people who place it as one of the top two functions are going to be less sporadic/random and much more focused on external world organization.

Thank you, that was interesting. I'm not entirely surprised that I understand Te-Fi best, seeing as they are my own functions.

I think it is worth remembering that functions rairly act on there own. Your description of STPs makes complete sense to me, as it is their Se function that provides the information that the Ti function uses, so they are liable to focus in on physical logical systems systems, such as the electronics you mentioned. NTPs gather through Ne, and so like abstraction.

I guess that idea also applies to the main question of Fi and Fe. I think the results are liable to be influenced by the percieving function used in conjunction. The descriptions of Fi/Fe I've seen above certainly seem to work when Si is used, but I'm not sure about other combinations.

I'm an Fi user myself, but I focus it through Ni, which is probably why I see most moral problems in shades of grey. Many of them probably have no answer, as the information required cannot be known. Is a war justified? Will it do more harm than good? Maybe, but it is impossible to know before hand. You just have to make a judegment call and hope you are right. I'd be inclined to say that the decision either way only becomes immoral if your reasons are not based around that judegment, such as cowardice or greed. In short it's not the actions that dictate morality but rather the intentions.

How would an Se or Ne user react? Would the Se user weigh physical suffering/distruction more prominantly than a metaphysical loss of pride or soveriegnty? Would they care much who the king is as long as they keep order and let them live their lives? And an Ne user? I'm sure yu could answer that question better than me.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know someone who does this too! I'm not sure, but I think she's INFP. The things that bother her are benign and easily avoidable, so I don't have a problem with not mentioning them. But then part of me thinks, if they're so benign, why bother asking people not to talk about them? But I guess they matter to her? :unsure:

Hmm... I had a friend who did this with stuff she didn't like.
She's ESFP I believe.

From an INfP perspective I don't see myself doing that with the snake thing.

The snake can be a metaphor as an example of how I use my Fi. Say I'm with some friends and they all are passing around this really huge snake or something I may not like or agree with *A statement/opinion perhaps. The snake could stand for whatever*

I'd simply not care if they want to hold the snake as long as they don't force me to hold the snake. People can express their views and opinions in front of me no matter how much I dislike or disagree, who am I to try to inforce my opinion on someone? That's my opinion not their's.
"Each their own".
Fi defines ethics according to the self. What is right and wrong is a function of private and personal values, and does not depend at all upon any validation from other people or any external factors at all. Introverted functions operate "in a vacuum"; that is, an Fi user is concerned with what is inherently ethical as defined by his own internal value set, and this is very very unlikely to change.

"What do I know in my heart is right regardless of what anyone else says?"
Fi is more likely to declare its enemies evil or amoral.

Fe defines ethics according to the environment. What is right and wrong depends upon what ethical/social standards are observed and practiced by the community group. Fe adapts its conception of ethics to the emotional texture of its environment; this is why strong Fe users are so attuned to the emotional needs of others--the validation comes from without, not from within. To Fe, there is no such thing as "ethics in a vacuum" because we cannot make an external judgment until some external goal or context has been defined.

An Fe user moving from one culture to another would have an easier time adapting his etiquette standards to fit the new surroundings--Fi would almost never do this, as it doesn't value any external validation for its moral belief system.

Really like that Fe description :O. I've misunderstood Fe as well prior to MBTI as well Sofmarhof.

I don't like to consider people amoral or evil though just cause they see something in a different way from my viewpoint *from the Fi statement*.

That Fi description I personally agree with though :). Specifically the parts Underlined. Your very good at this stuff SW.

Hope I'm not interrupting anything and that this is helpful in some way from an Fi perspective :). If not heh, carry on. Simply tried to provide another perspective. *wondering if shall delete as if afraid I might be intruding/not adding much*