• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Praise: Error 404

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Do you find that you just can't quite figure out the praise thing?

Either you're not giving enough praise or your giving too much, you fail to see why curing cancer is such a big deal (all I did was follow a logical process) but wonder why people don't bow down when you declare "I have solved it, I shall call this new invention The Wheel!!".

I mean what's the deal with praise? Did someone just make it so you just can't win?

:)

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
The only time too much praise is an issue, is if it makes people beleive you are insincere, and no one wants that. Even if it makes people cringe to the souls of the feet - telling them they have done well keeps them wanting to do well.

Why the big deal, people like to feel they are contributing and are apprecaited.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The only time too much praise is an issue, is if it makes people beleive you are insenser, and no one wants that. Even if it makes people cringe to the souls of the feet - telling them they have done well keeps them wanting to do well.

Why the big deal, people like to feel they are contributing and are apprecaited.
Yeah but then you get positive feedback and negative feedback people, people who are paranoid, people who are needy and end up being enabled...

Praise is just too hard a subject. The fulcrums keep changing!!

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
telling people they did well even if they are grumpy and morose - never hurts... I fixed da spelling.

Don't over do it, but do it....

It pays dividend, in my last team we bigged people up as part of the normal routeen, and everyone loved it. The team took pride in what they were doing and many commented on how possitive the praise was.

Don't get me wrong, the team was run by two T types, they got their fair share of on the job feedback, but we also looked for praise opportunitites and shared it at the team meeting. It makes people feel good about themselvs and bond with the group

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
telling people they did well even if they are grumpy and morose - never hurts... I fixed da spelling.

Don't over do it, but do it....

It pays dividend, in my last team we bigged people up as part of the normal routeen, and everyone loved it. The team took pride in what they were doing and many commented on how possitive the praise was.

Don't get me wrong, the team was run by two T types, they got their fair share of on the job feedback, but we also looked for praise opportunitites and shared it at the team meeting. It makes people feel good about themselvs and bond with the group
Hmm... there are people though who prefer negative feedback..

If I say to them "that's a good job, I like that" they respond something like "no it isn't, stop kissing up!!". Some days I can't win.

Other days I don't try...

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hmm... there are people though who prefer negative feedback..

If I say to them "that's a good job, I like that" they respond something like "no it isn't, stop kissing up!!". Some days I can't win.

Other days I don't try...

People need both, but they especally need possitive feedback.

Saying good job/of saying your senior manager thought that was grear (especally important), of great to have done that, or what ever it is you are praising them for

often provokes and uncomfortable reaction but keep saying it... even if folk flinch a bit, it's important for their self esteem and the team's moral.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
People need both, but they especally need possitive feedback.

Saying good job/of saying your senior manager thought that was grear (especally important), of great to have done that, or what ever it is you are praising them for

often provokes and uncomfortable reaction but keep saying it... even if folk flinch a bit, it's important for their self esteem and the team's moral.
I think my particular problem is that I flinch...

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think my particular problem is that I flinch...

Ok that is your learning curve, it gets better.

Which would you rather be on the receiving end of, grumpy negative man, or you're great and doing well.....

Bottom line is if people know you don't hold back on the good stuff, they are much more willing to work on the bad stuff and develop themselves....

The praise ought to be done in public if possible, but not in order to make a show of people... If you can become a team of people who are open to saying what is good about each others contributions, things rocket up the performance scale... people strech further towards their goals

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ok that is your learning curve, it gets better.

Which would you rather be on the receiving end of, grumpy negative man, or you're great and doing well.....

Bottom line is if people know you don't hold back on the good stuff, they are much more willing to work on the bad stuff and develop themselves....

The praise ought to be done in public if possible, but not in order to make a show of people... If you can become a team of people who are open to saying what is good about each others contributions, things rocket up the performance scale... people strech further towards their goals
Errm... honestly?

The grumpy negative one. I'm less paranoid then.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Find ways to do it, even the grumpy need a little love.... :D Don't make it too cheesy.... Ideally make it a regular slot at your team meetings - this weeks wins... and then involve as many sucesses, bi and small... and clap

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
In management classes we were told that for every negative comment given there should be seven positive comments to create a positive teamwork atmosphere. Something about when people feel better about themselves, they perform better.

Apparently people want to be praised for stuff they should be doing anyway. I never really knew that or worked that way, but yeah, since doing that I have noticed a difference in some people. Not all, but some people work well with this.

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
I heard about praise along with doing favors (true favors-- no reciprocation expected) as part of an evolutionary cycle. By doing favors, even emotional ones such as giving praise, you are in effect saying that you wish for this person to live longer and pass on their positive traits. In a holistic view of health, this becomes more important-- praise causes greater productivity and all that. It's not like calling someone exceptional or giving them a prize for being the best, it's just a way of saying that they deserve to be kept in the community.

404 Not Found

MBTI Type
INtP
Super!

This is super! I saw this thread at the bottom of another page and after reading what you people wrote I'm totally not surprised now that I picked this nic.
:smile::hi: