• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] In praise of Ps

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The thing is that I'm actually quite punctual, really. I guess that may just be my small P, though I'm actually Moderate P so I should capitalize it, but I just don't.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The thing is that I'm actually quite punctual, really. I guess that may just be my small P, though I'm actually Moderate P so I should capitalize it, but I just don't.

Yea, heard it often that especially intps got a small p. Anything I can do for you, cold towel, a beer ? :D

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'll take the towel, but hold the beer. As prudish as it sounds, I find all alcoholic beverages to taste absolutely terrible, probably because they share the ingredient of alcohol. At least that means I'm not going to become a raving alcoholic!

I offer you this awesome song in return:
YouTube - Why is the Rum Gone? - Remix

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Don't worry about "achievements". The book is great so far. It's an older book (the author is deceased) - originally written in 1938 I believe, but I'm loving it. It's called "If You Want to Write" by Brenda Ueland. Check it out!!! It won't disappoint!!! She's either INTP or INFP from my estim...guestimation.

I've read this one too -- just pulled it off my shelf. Good mix of inspiration and a focus on persistence. She has a chapter on the latter. I like the discussion of a lot of philosophical issues surrounding writing -- more a question of what kind of writer you want to be and not just how to write. That's neat. It was a very interesting read particularly because of the time in which it was written. She had some very progressive ideas even if her language was reflective of the time in which she lived. She was trying to inspire people across the gender and class barriers of that time. For example, in the beginning, she talks about everyone having the ability to write....noblemen and servant girls :0

Also see the chapter titled, "Why Women Who Do Too Much Housework Should Neglect It For Their Writing". How lovely.

It is a real testament to the book though that nearly a century later (demonstrating my vague P ness here), the book still speaks rather well to aspiring writers.

Also a great book for writing inspiration is Bird by Bird by Anne Lammott. Very fun and has great suggestions and writing tips. This one remains my favorite. Oh goodness, this reminded me of the weirdest thing that happened a few years ago. I had gone to hear Anne Lammott read from her book at my grad school. In the Q&A section, a woman screamed out AL's MBTI type and just started telling her all about the type...I don't remember what it was but I do remember thinking what a strange thing to do. Now, here I am, on an MBTI site trying to figure out what AL's type may be... :rofl1: I still won't scream it out at her at a future reading though. :doh:

Also fun for more practical advice for the novel genre is The Plot Thickens by Noah Lukeman.

P.S. I think Ueland may be an ENFP/J because she seems to really depend on and get a lot out of interactions with the students in her class for the book - classic ENFP/ENFJ observations. Sure, she presents several well thought through arguments in the book. Yet, the force of her words are very much still in the inspiration she provides. She's also remarkably funny and notices the strangest things about people she refers to --

Quote:
"There were many funny people, one of them a pretty married girl with fine, clear, sleepy eyes and a drawn and a sideways look."
Footnote: "So many funny people seem to drawl and be lazy"
Page 96-97.

Another:
"One of the class was Mrs. B. She had written for many years...She was an interesting and competent person, although something about the rather severe, rational, get-down-to-business look through her pince-nez made me feel that it might be a little hard to do much for her"

:biggrin:
Don't both the above, particularly the first quote, sound just like an ENFP making weird connections....

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'd take Pness over Jness anyday.
I'm actually extremely productive, on my own time, and that's what I see of most Ps.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
You know what? I find that when I start behaving like a J, being responsible, putting my duties first and pleasure second, those J's who've been lecturing me to be more like that can't actually handle it when I am.

They're used to me being super flexible and you know, when they suddenly call me up cos they've reached a part of some plan or routine where they need my input or help, I'll drop everything and screw up my routine... oh wait, no, it doesn't screw anything up cos I don't have a routine, do I? I just spend all my time sitting on my backside, don't I? Waiting for people to call me to invite me to dinner parties and whatever other social function they want me to liven up for them or voluntary job they want me to do or whatever else.

It's not like I've got two kids here that I'm trying to homeschool, and a household finance situation that's spiralled completely out of control because I've just regarded money as no object and just a tool to enable me to be there, wherever there is, for whatever friends decide they want me there at any given moment.

And then I decide enough is enough, my prime responsibility and duty is to my kids, and I establish an educational routine and stick to it, and I don't allow interruptions to it because the kids then lose their focus and it's hard to get them back into it. And I ration my spare time and the money I can spend during it, suddenly there isn't an endless pot of gold flowing into my car fuel tank for running around visiting and stuff. And I'm making sure I buy my groceries at the market because it's half the price of the supermarkets so makes a big difference in getting my finances on track. So I can't just do my shopping "whenever" at the 24 hour store, but I have to be in town when the market's open.

But these people who've been telling me I should organise myself and get into a routine with the kids, well even when I've told them over and over that this is what I'm trying to do, and how much hard work it is, and how little spare time I have now and how tight money is... well, they don't stop fucking calling me and expecting me to still say yes to everything at the drop of a hat. No, because that would mean breaking THEIR routine, wouldn't it? So they keep inviting and expecting, and then take it personally when I say "no, sorry, I haven't the time or money". What? Sub hasn't time or money? But Sub ALWAYS has time and money, he always has had before, and as we know, in the world of J's, what was before, is and always will be, because CHANGE is EVIL!

So like, they wanted ME to change, except not in a way that meant THEY had to change the way they interact with me, and not make so many demands on my time and resources. And not give me fucking guilt trips just because I say no thanks, I'm totally pooped from working hard this week and I haven't had a moment to myself, so I can't come to your party or visit you or have you over to visit, because I've got to get some down time now. Oh no, I must be fobbing them off, I must be making excuses, because I ALWAYS have time, don't I? I'm the ubiquitous magician who can be in many places at once and who just makes things happen and appear out of nothing and nowhere, without it taking any toll whatsoever on my own life or health. At least, that's what they've assumed when they've been taking advantage of my flexibility all those years.

Bastards.

/rant

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You know what? I find that when I start behaving like a J, being responsible, putting my duties first and pleasure second, those J's who've been lecturing me to be more like that can't actually handle it when I am.

They're used to me being super flexible and you know, when they suddenly call me up cos they've reached a part of some plan or routine where they need my input or help, I'll drop everything and screw up my routine... oh wait, no, it doesn't screw anything up cos I don't have a routine, do I? I just spend all my time sitting on my backside, don't I? Waiting for people to call me to invite me to dinner parties and whatever other social function they want me to liven up for them or voluntary job they want me to do or whatever else.

It's not like I've got two kids here that I'm trying to homeschool, and a household finance situation that's spiralled completely out of control because I've just regarded money as no object and just a tool to enable me to be there, wherever there is, for whatever friends decide they want me there at any given moment.

And then I decide enough is enough, my prime responsibility and duty is to my kids, and I establish an educational routine and stick to it, and I don't allow interruptions to it because the kids then lose their focus and it's hard to get them back into it. And I ration my spare time and the money I can spend during it, suddenly there isn't an endless pot of gold flowing into my car fuel tank for running around visiting and stuff. And I'm making sure I buy my groceries at the market because it's half the price of the supermarkets so makes a big difference in getting my finances on track. So I can't just do my shopping "whenever" at the 24 hour store, but I have to be in town when the market's open.

But these people who've been telling me I should organise myself and get into a routine with the kids, well even when I've told them over and over that this is what I'm trying to do, and how much hard work it is, and how little spare time I have now and how tight money is... well, they don't stop fucking calling me and expecting me to still say yes to everything at the drop of a hat. No, because that would mean breaking THEIR routine, wouldn't it? So they keep inviting and expecting, and then take it personally when I say "no, sorry, I haven't the time or money". What? Sub hasn't time or money? But Sub ALWAYS has time and money, he always has had before, and as we know, in the world of J's, what was before, is and always will be, because CHANGE is EVIL!

So like, they wanted ME to change, except not in a way that meant THEY had to change the way they interact with me, and not make so many demands on my time and resources. And not give me fucking guilt trips just because I say no thanks, I'm totally pooped from working hard this week and I haven't had a moment to myself, so I can't come to your party or visit you or have you over to visit, because I've got to get some down time now. Oh no, I must be fobbing them off, I must be making excuses, because I ALWAYS have time, don't I? I'm the ubiquitous magician who can be in many places at once and who just makes things happen and appear out of nothing and nowhere, without it taking any toll whatsoever on my own life or health. At least, that's what they've assumed when they've been taking advantage of my flexibility all those years.

Bastards.

/rant

One Word: Blog.
Make one.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What I hear, substitute, is that you're angry about your friends showing disrespect for your human limitations. Your humanity deserves respect; unfortunately, all I can do from here is validate your universal human psychological need, and encourage you to explain that need to your friends who are violating it. Most people are just thoughtless and self-centered (not malicious), and they typically respond well to having such things explained to them calmly and without apparent rancor, since they really want to be liked by you. However, it can be hard for them to really get the problem unless it's put in such clear, explicit terms, since they generally think of themselves as being nice people who wouldn't do something so mean.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
One Word: Blog.
Make one.

two words: got one. see that link in my sig there? and every fucker I know reads it, so if I put that there, I'd never hear the end of it!

Anyway, I considered it pertinent to the topic at hand :D

SciVo, I know, it was just a rant. That's what EP's do before taking action ;)

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I feel ya...

edit: now, wait a minute, what did i just say? "feel"?
*enters identity crisis

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've read this one too -- just pulled it off my shelf. Good mix of inspiration and a focus on persistence. She has a chapter on the latter. I like the discussion of a lot of philosophical issues surrounding writing -- more a question of what kind of writer you want to be and not just how to write. That's neat. It was a very interesting read particularly because of the time in which it was written. She had some very progressive ideas even if her language was reflective of the time in which she lived. She was trying to inspire people across the gender and class barriers of that time. For example, in the beginning, she talks about everyone having the ability to write....noblemen and servant girls :0

Also see the chapter titled, "Why Women Who Do Too Much Housework Should Neglect It For Their Writing". How lovely.

It is a real testament to the book though that nearly a century later (demonstrating my vague P ness here), the book still speaks rather well to aspiring writers.

Also a great book for writing inspiration is Bird by Bird by Anne Lammott. Very fun and has great suggestions and writing tips. This one remains my favorite. Oh goodness, this reminded me of the weirdest thing that happened a few years ago. I had gone to hear Anne Lammott read from her book at my grad school. In the Q&A section, a woman screamed out AL's MBTI type and just started telling her all about the type...I don't remember what it was but I do remember thinking what a strange thing to do. Now, here I am, on an MBTI site trying to figure out what AL's type may be... :rofl1: I still won't scream it out at her at a future reading though. :doh:

Also fun for more practical advice for the novel genre is The Plot Thickens by Noah Lukeman.

P.S. I think Ueland may be an ENFP/J because she seems to really depend on and get a lot out of interactions with the students in her class for the book - classic ENFP/ENFJ observations. Sure, she presents several well thought through arguments in the book. Yet, the force of her words are very much still in the inspiration she provides. She's also remarkably funny and notices the strangest things about people she refers to --

Quote:
"There were many funny people, one of them a pretty married girl with fine, clear, sleepy eyes and a drawn and a sideways look."
Footnote: "So many funny people seem to drawl and be lazy"
Page 96-97.

Another:
"One of the class was Mrs. B. She had written for many years...She was an interesting and competent person, although something about the rather severe, rational, get-down-to-business look through her pince-nez made me feel that it might be a little hard to do much for her"

:biggrin:
Don't both the above, particularly the first quote, sound just like an ENFP making weird connections....

Interesting observations. I pegged her as an INTP/INFP because she makes several statements about the importance of "getting alone" in order to be creative. Sure, she held writing classes/workshops, but that was probably her source of income. She talks about the busy-ness, loudness, and rat race of the world and how it's so important to get away from that if you want to be creative. As an introvert, I relate to that in a BIG way. I don't see many extroverts wanting to avoid all of those things. This author really makes it a point to drive home the being alone idea. Also, I typed her as a P because she is so adament about "taking your time" and "letting things come at a slow pace". She is in no rush whatsoever and she makes it a point to tell the reader to slow down and not feel guilty about idleness (albeit "productive idleness" where one is brainstorming). As a P, I totally relate to this as well.

I typed her as a possible T because a lot of what she says is very logical. I do see some F in there too, so I wasn't too sure about the T/F.

But, that's just what was running through my head as I read her writing. :D

Twixt

MBTI Type
ISTP
That books been on my list for ages. I'll have to order it.

Hahaha. This is so P :nice:

...he always has had before, and as we know, in the world of J's, what was before, is and always will be, because CHANGE is EVIL!

Word.
If there's one thing I'd criticize about Js, its definitely the closemindedness. I used to find it ridiculous and thought of them as living within the constraints of cages/shells, if only psychologically imposed.
However, I found that Js can be open minded about someee things. SJs can be open-minded to those whom they consider professionals in their respective fields - they give the benefit of the doubt that the professional in question knows his shit. NTJs are interested in, and can be open to, more efficient ways of doing things, and expanding their knowledge/repertoire of skills. NFJs are open to the possibilities of human change.
At least, thats my two cents worth.

@ substitute - don't let the Js get you down and guilt trip you! Stick to your guns and they will eventually respect your perimeters, but you do need to explain things to them to smoothen things out. otherwise they will, as you said, take it personally. You probably want to calm down though. Js really (reaally) don't take well to change, esp. if its what they perceive to be negative to the way theyve been living their lives thus far.

PATIENCE ;) you'll get there.