• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs only, "You know you're in love when"

Koocoomoo

MBTI Type
iNFp
Enneagram
4w3?
You know you're in love when ____________________________

-fill in the blank

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
when the person I love thinks I hate her.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
When I find myself never letting his calls go to voice mail.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I can't stop thinking about all the things we could do, or be doing.

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
when he's the first one with whom I want to share my new randomly clever thought, connection or witticism

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
you tell someone you love them.

That's how long it usually takes me to realize it.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
When a third party mentions that I'm probably in love.

EDIT: Or rather, I talk about the object of my interest so much and with such enthusiasm that the third party finally goes "Poppy! You're in love!" And I go...nooo...well, ok, maybe.

Last edited:

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
When I no longer feel the need to ask myself if I'm in love or not.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
... I'm being accused of talking like an assassin. Also what Ragingkatsuki said.

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I find myself never letting his calls go to voice mail.

This. Or, since I usually fall for other introverts, when I actually pick up the phone myself and I am not currently on fire.

when he's the first one with whom I want to share my new randomly clever thought, connection or witticism

This too. Although probably universal and not strictly an NT thing.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...when the person I love has become my favorite piece of furniture.

corey_vann

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8sx
When I realize that the reason that I can't stop thinking about her isn't because I want to destroy her, but because I can't wait to see her again. :hi:

When I actually care how she feels, and how what or the way I say something might affect her. :hug:

And even when what I say does make her cry, I power through it till we find the light at the end of the tunnel. :doh:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Because they have flooded my mind and I want to talk to them about every goofy thought I've had since 7am, and that I'm smiling on the inside... (and possibly on the outside too)

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
...when the person I love has become my favorite piece of furniture.

I hope you mean in the "I love to cuddle with them" way and not the "I just made them into a lampshade" way :laugh:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Maybe he like to lap dance his partners, he is fluffy after all :)

Aren't you wolfie RAR

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
In order to decide if one is in love, one must have a clear definition of love. Otherwise, one would not know if a given experience classifies as love, hate, passion, and so on. Yet, in trying to establish a clear and possibly universal definition of love, one will inevitably run into problems, for I don't think such a universal defnition exists. What we're left with, then, is something along the lines expressed in Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, where Anna says, "if there are as many minds as there are men, then there are as many types of love as there are hearts." Thus, it is to be noted that in this vein love is a platonic concept. If love is a platonic concept, and there is no universal definition and clear-cut criterion of love to check off, then each will have his or her own definition, conception, and criterion. Still, in establishing a definition, it is important to take into account that love typically refers to a relationship of some kind. It could be a relationship between humans, as in the case where a man loves a women and the women the man, we can say the two are in love. Alternatively, it could characterize a relationship between humans and objects/abstract ideas, as in this man loves chess or theory. Still more, one could love one's self as is the case for a narcissist. So, I think one can have a rough estimation of love as form, but inevitably the 'stuff' of love--that is, the content--will vary considerably for different humans. Another issue, which makes expounding on love a difficult task, is the issue of finding thoughts that express feelings in a meritable way. Indeed, I know many who can never find the proper words to clearly communicate their feelings, and this causes them frustration at times. I myself have no such problem, for I am not capable of experiencing a feeling that cannot otherwise be effectively expressed through thought. Thus, for me the letter is more important than the spirit, and only when the birth of a thought, "I am in love" surfaces, which clearly denotes the experience (love), will I know that I am in love. Thus, from personal experience I think, and by extension what you may feel, is the following. (1) Love_DEF_the spiritualization of passion(s) (2) In terms of ontology, and to answer the main question of this thread, you know you're in love when the thought "I love X" comes into being.

I anticipate criticism. First, that one can think one's in love and not be. Second, that one can be in love without knowing it. In the former case, there is a good chance one does not have a clear definition of love, and thus their personal definition is not descriptive of their actual experience (perhaps it was not really love they experienced) but all this means is that they lacked a clear definition of love to begin with. In the latter case, which supposes it's possible to be in love and not know it--well I don't know because all I know is thought. So perhaps an NF (or someone else) can explore this as a possibility. I suppose also that this is really at the crux of this thread, as the question you raise is one asking for evidence--signs if you will--that indicate that one is in love. This opens up a range of questions involving definitions, concepts, reasoning, personality, and so forth. But I stick to my fundamental point, that I can only be sure that I am in love when my love has become a conscious thought. Thus, for me knowing I'm in love is a question of ontology. Anything besides that is a muddle, where lines between love, lust, passion, happiness and so on are thin. And I know one thing for sure: that I don't like playing chess on a board where there is not a sharp contrast between the different colored squares. Thus, I have answered the question as straightforward as I'm able, and I'll let the feelers (or whoever) delve into the wishywashy stuff, often a question of conscience rather than logic, which I dare not get into.