• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] The world is flat....?

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Tinker, yeu has an abnormal brain, I must confinscate it and use it to power my creations, twin monsters I have named Frank and Stein. I figure I should only need to give them half a brain each since yeu're having such big thoughts.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Kat

I have an abnormal brain do I, my former boss who was not Mr creative used to rip the piss out of my whacked outness.

Email exchange the other day (what thought was, was in my head by this point, he has the IQ of about 160 - don't know which scale - but basically bright)....

He hadn't picked up on an earlier question I had sent him on the subject....

Me .... "Now do you think you think in sounds?"
Him .... "That kind of question stops me in my tracks...!...
I have no idea and I would have to think about it for days to answer it."
Me: ...."Sorry, I did throw you the question earlier"
Him:... "the Ulesses quote"
Me:... yes...

EOM's

Finally about an hour late...

Him:..."Did you know tha U is the most unfinished book that people start Reading then give up."

I took that as a compliamnet, although I'm a bit worried about the people giving up bit... :)

I think every one need a whole brain to give Fran and Moster a brain each.. you can hunt for someone to inhabit monster, I can be frank.... :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"The world is flat."
"Dude, what about rocks and stuff?"

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Rocks are flat too, wolfie. They just APPEAR otherwise as we're mistakingly defining them using 3 dimensional mathematics, whereas if we'd just defined them using 2 dimensional maths, we wouldn't have this problem at all.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rocks are flat too, wolfie. They just APPEAR otherwise as we're mistakingly defining them using 3 dimensional mathematics, whereas if we'd just defined them using 2 dimensional maths, we wouldn't have this problem at all.

Marry me! :wubbie:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The very idea that we can overcome delusion itself, perhaps? At some level, if we look past all the delusions, there's nothing left. It's really just an exercise in continually tearing them down and rebuilding them with more complexity based on what we've learned from past experience to see if we can make more comfortable delusions.

In other words, life isn't about destroying illusion. It's about learning to create the illusions that comfort us the most. Ironically, one of the more comforting ones is failing to be aware of this fact.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
what will be obsolete in the future? science and religion being perceived as mutually exclusive.

maybe.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Right now we can measure thought, we have no idea what thought looks like as a construct.... (sorry thoughts are my big thing this week) :D

According to MBTI/Jung thoughts vary depending on the type of the person. For example Ne seems quantum mechanical in nature. It's something like an electron shell with a wide variety of possibilities. Ti on the other hand is dogmatically linear in nature. That is my viewpoint right now anyway. Perhaps I will be corrected of my foolishness in the future. ;)

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
The world was not believed to be flat, it's a bad myth.

It's been easy to prove the world's round for thousands of years, it's not even hard to tell with the concept of the horizon.

I'm not sure where the myth came from, but rest assured that columbus was NOT afraid of sailing off the 'edge of the world' =3

First of all, assumptions are usually not explicitly stated. So, it's not that there was lots of articles and writings on walls in caves and taverns that said, "we believe the world is flat!," but that at a point in history it went without being said. Only when one learns that the world is a sphere is one then conscious of the former assumption that the world is flat.

Second, that Columbus was not afraid of sailing off the edge of the world does not make the claim that at one point in history people assumed the world was flat false. It only means that you haven't gone back far enough in history. Even a few thousand years may not be enough, depending on one's standards. But if you keep going back, there is a point at which this was true. Why? Because if one goes back far enough eventually technologies are so primitive that there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. Let's remember that even if boats are sailing towards an island and tribes on the island see that at a further distance they saw only the peak of the ship, while as it got closer they saw it's entirety, such an observation still requires a ship. Then we can go back to before ships/vessels were made, which is sometime before Christ (that's already two thousand years), and so on. The point is: eventually there is a point in human history where it was assumed by default that the world is flat because (1) it intuitively seemed that way (2) there were no technologies and scientific methods of measurement known to man to suggest otherwise.

S

Sniffles

From what I've read, no educated persion since the 3rd century B.C. thought the world was flat.