• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do any other NTs(INTPs) act this way?

Nizy

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I enjoy sharing my discoveries/interests, but often I feel as though I bore people with them. I'd rather not annoy anyone with my chatter, in fact I'm self-conscious about it. But often times the urge to share some tidbit of information, some odd detail of an equally odd interest, becomes difficult to contain.
I go off on tangents usually, often themed, like recently: mountaineering has been my theme. And so I learn about people, techniques, famous climbs, future plans. And I share these ideas with people I know well, and to a lesser extent with others. I feel like the detail I go into might be considered "obsessive", however it doesn't feel so in the least to me. And I become concerned that my talk is oppressive, but honestly I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't share my thoughts. The mere idea is depressing.

After writing this down I'm not sure where its going, or what the topic of discussion is precisely. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it an odd trait for someone of the INTP persuasion?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
ALL THE TIME...

This is what おたくfriends are useful for. They make great buddies to share obsessions with.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Yes, definitely. And my closest friends (bless their hearts) don't share in very many of my interests.

Which is why I am on the internet at this very moment.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Definitely! I'll read some really cool fact and want to share it with someone but then I realize that most people probably don't care. Or I'll mention it to someone and they'll say something like, "Hmm. Cool. So, how have you been?"

There should be a 24-hour hotline where you can call and talk to other people of a similar type about such things.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hahah... my INTP ex is like that. He goes off on really long tangents about his interests. I feel bad that he doesn't have a good listener to talk to. They're either not interested or really argumentative (when he doesn't want to argue, he just wants to talk). So I've taken it upon myself to listen to his tangents from time to time... It's not really any of my interests either, but I guess that's one of the obligations a "good friend" has to give from time to time. :p But goodness, I hope he finds someone that shares his interests soon.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All my friends with whom I had those links with are currently so bogged down in their own troubles now they always bring me down when I run to them excited. It's like I'm sitting on an island of (moderate) success and no one to share my quirks with. It's terrible!!!! :cry:

But I'm not an INTP or an NT for that matter so that makes it even harder. Especially when it comes to talking about taking over the world and stuff like that...

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Hahah... my INTP ex is like that. He goes off on really long tangents about his interests. I feel bad that he doesn't have a good listener to talk to. They're either not interested or really argumentative (when he doesn't want to argue, he just wants to talk). So I've taken it upon myself to listen to his tangents from time to time... It's not really any of my interests either, but I guess that's one of the obligations a "good friend" has to give from time to time. :p But goodness, I hope he finds someone that shares his interests soon.
Has he developed the ability to pace back and forth in the oddest of places all whilst talking to himself?

That ability always helped me.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has he developed the ability to pace back and forth in the oddest of places all whilst talking to himself?

That ability always helped me.

:laugh: No, but I'll definitely suggest it to him. I'm gonna guess he'll just give me a blank stare: :mellow: ... and then secretly try it some time.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Oh, man. Me, for sure. More so when I was a kid/teen. My mother was always such a good listener--I don't know how she did it, looking back. She never once acted bored.

The internet really is perfect for finding kindred spirits. So is college/grad school.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I enjoy sharing my discoveries/interests, but often I feel as though I bore people with them. I'd rather not annoy anyone with my chatter, in fact I'm self-conscious about it. But often times the urge to share some tidbit of information, some odd detail of an equally odd interest, becomes difficult to contain.
I go off on tangents usually, often themed, like recently: mountaineering has been my theme. And so I learn about people, techniques, famous climbs, future plans. And I share these ideas with people I know well, and to a lesser extent with others. I feel like the detail I go into might be considered "obsessive", however it doesn't feel so in the least to me. And I become concerned that my talk is oppressive, but honestly I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't share my thoughts. The mere idea is depressing.

After writing this down I'm not sure where its going, or what the topic of discussion is precisely. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it an odd trait for someone of the INTP persuasion?

Oh yeah definitely, I get that all the time. What's even worse is when in a conversation I make connections towards, or metaphors with seemingly unrelated subjects, and my sensor friends just give me a blank stare and tell me I'm crazy.

:laugh: No, but I'll definitely suggest it to him. I'm gonna guess he'll just give me a blank stare: :mellow: ... and then secretly try it some time.

Yes... Yes he will.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Definitely! I'll read some really cool fact and want to share it with someone but then I realize that most people probably don't care. Or I'll mention it to someone and they'll say something like, "Hmm. Cool. So, how have you been?"

I hate it when they give you the polite the blow-off.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Holy crap, I can totally relate. Most of my friends think I'm elusive and/or mysterious because I don't talk much about my life or interests. But really, I am just sparing them what I feel will be a complete snoozefest. When I start to ramble about things in depth... good lord, watch out - because I can really go in depth about many things, and from my experience, people tend to like things more topical and/or superficial.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
Holy crap, I can totally relate. Most of my friends think I'm elusive and/or mysterious because I don't talk much about my life or interests. But really, I am just sparing them what I feel will be a complete snoozefest. When I start to ramble about things in depth... good lord, watch out - because I can really go in depth about many things, and from my experience, people tend to like things more topical and/or superficial.

Truth be told! I know that people will think I'm boring, so I don't tell them anything. Maybe that's why my coworkers don't really talk to me... but still think I'm great?:huh:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All the time. Procrastinating on the internet doesn't seem to work for me irl. I can talk to people about all kinds of things. But when it comes to my interests, it often doesn't interest people or it is met with feigned interest. Which is extremely annoying. To the point of me almost never bothering sharing my interests.

People I know that would be genuinly interested I have no trouble sharing them with.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I could obsessively talk your ear off about every damned obscure topic ever. In fact, I often do this when I meet another INTP and we connect on a certain topic of shared interest.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I send people the longest damned replies in PM's. In real life I will gab forever if there is a slight hint that the person may be into the same obscure interest.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Huh...what's better than an NTP sharing their interests/thoughts? Such amazing things going on in there, I could listen for hours on end even if it's not something I would normally be interested in hearing; the way they explain makes it more intriguing. INTPs tend to make me laugh unintentionally and ENTPs make me laugh intentionally, with their offbeat humor and general observations. I especially like their more philosophical ramblings.

Speaking of ramblings, I strongly suspect Marjorie from America's Next Top Model Cycle 11 is INTP (a little fidgety/nervous, but you get the point):

[YOUTUBE="pD4SsbRkado"]America's Next Top Model Interview - Marjorie[/YOUTUBE]

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
yea, i've always been a little afraid i talk people to death...
hasn't happened so far, though :)
other NT is a good listener for that kind of things, believe me.