• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do any other NTs(INTPs) act this way?

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I feel like that. We're pretty bizarre to the Sensors, often.

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
I enjoy sharing my discoveries/interests, but often I feel as though I bore people with them. I'd rather not annoy anyone with my chatter, in fact I'm self-conscious about it. But often times the urge to share some tidbit of information, some odd detail of an equally odd interest, becomes difficult to contain.
I go off on tangents usually, often themed, like recently: mountaineering has been my theme. And so I learn about people, techniques, famous climbs, future plans. And I share these ideas with people I know well, and to a lesser extent with others. I feel like the detail I go into might be considered "obsessive", however it doesn't feel so in the least to me. And I become concerned that my talk is oppressive, but honestly I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't share my thoughts. The mere idea is depressing.

After writing this down I'm not sure where its going, or what the topic of discussion is precisely. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it an odd trait for someone of the INTP persuasion?

Yep. I can manage to relate any conversation I'm having back to my current topic of interest.

Dizzy

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I have the same thing, e.g. with work. Because i love the work I do I want to share my accomplishments at the end of the week. I am afraid that I bore friend (with less ambitions) with my stories and often I choose not to talk about it all...
But sometimes I meet people who are very willingly to listen, and then I can't stop, I just love talking about it!

Goatman455

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I enjoy sharing my discoveries/interests, but often I feel as though I bore people with them. I'd rather not annoy anyone with my chatter, in fact I'm self-conscious about it. But often times the urge to share some tidbit of information, some odd detail of an equally odd interest, becomes difficult to contain.
I go off on tangents usually, often themed, like recently: mountaineering has been my theme. And so I learn about people, techniques, famous climbs, future plans. And I share these ideas with people I know well, and to a lesser extent with others. I feel like the detail I go into might be considered "obsessive", however it doesn't feel so in the least to me. And I become concerned that my talk is oppressive, but honestly I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't share my thoughts. The mere idea is depressing.

After writing this down I'm not sure where its going, or what the topic of discussion is precisely. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it an odd trait for someone of the INTP persuasion?

I am not an NT (ENFP here) but I do the same thing. Sounds like you are a very nice and considerate person and you should not be ashamed of that. My suggestion is to look at people and see their reactions. If they seem bored or annoyed quickly change the subject, if not, keep going with your interests.

Importantly though, be yourself, you don't have to stop talking about what you want to talk about because other people MAY not like it, just say it, I think people will respect you more when you do.

I also have a similar "themed" interest thing that I can get into. One minute it's Civil War, next minute Submarine Combat, next minute Space Travel, you name it, it's ridiculous, and certainly I feel the same way when I start talking about these specific interests, I am just thinking as I talk "Is anyone really going to give a damn" but it is hard not to be enthusiastic at the time because my brain is so wrapped up in these things, and I desire to share that knowledge and enthusiasm with other people.

You just need to find the balance between sharing this stuff for yourself, and considering other people in whether they want to hear it. I am sure your friends or even other people will be interested. INTPs are usually incredibly smart and good with language. Find the people who enjoy hearing it and talk to them about it.

Oh and keep the conversations two way, when other people feel they are contributing their interest level will naturally increase with regards to what you are talking about, or just your ideas in general.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah sometimes I try to keep talking about my interests/thoughts to the minimum. I have to get to know someone well to get to the point where I bring things up at random, but i constantly think about that stuff, and there's no turning it off. Because not everyone is interested in what I'm in and I tend to ramble on and on when someone gets me started. My mind also finds a way of connecting my interests to everything going on. It's hard to find people who are interested in exactly the same stuff as me.

People have gotten annoyed with me in the past but if it comes up in a convo, I get into annoying ramble mode. I can get somewhat pedantic when it comes to the topics I'm knowledgable about too. With topics that I'm not knowledgable about/interested in, I am not too good with holding a conversation about those though. Sometimes, it gets ruined for me when people tell me to shut up and stop talking about some of the things in life I'm passionate about so if someone wouldn't be interested, I keep my mouth shut about it.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i am totally aware of the feeling my interests will bore the everliving fuck out of the people around me... generally the urge to share what i find is subverted, which leaves me with nothing to say a lot of the time... when i get started i can revert to the topic if my thought wasn't complete, but i generally find it ever so much easier to shut the fuck up... i can get grumpy about it when i am close to someone and i am excited about something... like, i could be hanging at a party or something and someone will mention something or say they wonder why something is the way it is, and i'll end up on some long explaination in which i can almost see their eyes roll into the backs of their heads... sometimes people are super excited to hear shit, but 95% of the time they want to talk about something i find pointless... i try to be a good sport, and feign interest... even if i'm not enthused by what their talking about, i generally care enough about people to not make them feel the way i often do... it can be rather isolating at times...

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Yeah sometimes I try to keep talking about my interests/thoughts to the minimum. I have to get to know someone well to get to the point where I bring things up at random, but i constantly think about that stuff, and there's no turning it off. Because not everyone is interested in what I'm in and I tend to ramble on and on when someone gets me started. My mind also finds a way of connecting my interests to everything going on. It's hard to find people who are interested in exactly the same stuff as me.

People have gotten annoyed with me in the past but if it comes up in a convo, I get into annoying ramble mode. I can get somewhat pedantic when it comes to the topics I'm knowledgable about too. With topics that I'm not knowledgable about/interested in, I am not too good with holding a conversation about those though. Sometimes, it gets ruined for me when people tell me to shut up and stop talking about some of the things in life I'm passionate about so if someone wouldn't be interested, I keep my mouth shut about it.

I'm imaging having Ni and Ti strong and being 5w4 , fascinating ....actually trying to being unique make you avoid reality.
But still there is a social living being trying to be self-awarness

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm imaging having Ni and Ti strong and being 5w4 , fascinating ....actually trying to being unique make you avoid reality.
But still there is a social living being trying to be self-awarness

It's somewhat anxiety I guess and living in the world of my head. Being an odd and strange fluffy scaly creature. But "trying" I'd prefer I'd think I'm not a pretentious ninnymonster. My 4-fix would prefer not to think it but then again, image triad.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
It's somewhat anxiety I guess and living in the world of my head. Being an odd and strange fluffy scaly creature. But "trying" I'd prefer I'd think I'm not a pretentious ninnymonster. My 4-fix would prefer not to think it but then again, image triad.

Well... life is short , at some point you just have to choose what to believe . Knowledge need to be shared in any kind of expression.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have to say that I adore the enthusiasm some INTPs have for subjects that are close to their hearts. Even if I'm not that interested in whatever topic my bf is wanting to elaborate about (clears throat... Star Trek) or I find it difficult to not let my mind wander (higher mathematics), I love when he's enthusiastic about things. I find it endearing.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Unless the discussion serves a purpose as in sharing knowledge that is relevant to the topic, it's unlikely that I will open up about something that matters to me. I keep those things for myself and I feel no need for my passions to be heard by all.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like to share everything I know, even if I do not know it that well. :wubbie:

But if I do know something very well, I cannot shut up. I know a lot of people are not interested in what I like, but that is the exact reason I set out to learn about what other people like as well as pursue my own interests. Just so I can talk and communicate with them more. It is a technique I picked up from a few extroverts I know, and it does produce results. So I now have a wide range of topics I can engage in.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I typically feel out whether people around me are interested in what I'm saying and don't really persist on a topic if it's not something they're interested in talking about.

If they just pretend to be interested and I keep talking, that's then their issue. It's a two-way street. And vice versa, I usually listen for a bit to things I'm not much interested without complaint, since relationships involve different people who have different interests. Any conversation can be a learning experience. But I did learn to "feel things out" and be aware of how people are receiving what I'm saying.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I have to say that I adore the enthusiasm some INTPs have for subjects that are close to their hearts. Even if I'm not that interested in whatever topic my bf is wanting to elaborate about (clears throat... Star Trek) or I find it difficult to not let my mind wander (higher mathematics), I love when he's enthusiastic about things. I find it endearing.

It's very rare for intps showing emotions but when they do they have a childish aura or whatever xd.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Unless the discussion serves a purpose as in sharing knowledge that is relevant to the topic, it's unlikely that I will open up about something that matters to me. I keep those things for myself and I feel no need for my passions to be heard by all.

My bad ... Pretty sure 5w4 want to share/create something "unique" . They think more as an artist.