• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do any other NTs(INTPs) act this way?

Unique

I enjoy sharing my discoveries/interests, but often I feel as though I bore people with them. I'd rather not annoy anyone with my chatter, in fact I'm self-conscious about it. But often times the urge to share some tidbit of information, some odd detail of an equally odd interest, becomes difficult to contain.
I go off on tangents usually, often themed, like recently: mountaineering has been my theme. And so I learn about people, techniques, famous climbs, future plans. And I share these ideas with people I know well, and to a lesser extent with others. I feel like the detail I go into might be considered "obsessive", however it doesn't feel so in the least to me. And I become concerned that my talk is oppressive, but honestly I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't share my thoughts. The mere idea is depressing.

After writing this down I'm not sure where its going, or what the topic of discussion is precisely. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it an odd trait for someone of the INTP persuasion?

My parents get sick of it the most, dad has no interest mum usually thinks I'm trying to argue with her... still doesn't understand the concept of debate for knowledge seeking :doh:

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
I enjoy sharing my discoveries/interests, but often I feel as though I bore people with them. I'd rather not annoy anyone with my chatter, in fact I'm self-conscious about it. But often times the urge to share some tidbit of information, some odd detail of an equally odd interest, becomes difficult to contain.
I go off on tangents usually, often themed, like recently: mountaineering has been my theme. And so I learn about people, techniques, famous climbs, future plans. And I share these ideas with people I know well, and to a lesser extent with others. I feel like the detail I go into might be considered "obsessive", however it doesn't feel so in the least to me. And I become concerned that my talk is oppressive, but honestly I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't share my thoughts. The mere idea is depressing.

After writing this down I'm not sure where its going, or what the topic of discussion is precisely. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it an odd trait for someone of the INTP persuasion?

Being an INTP who needs to develop more extroversion, I learned that there's an anti-social side to this behavior. Kinda gives the impression that I'm a know-it-all and it could irk people off.

What I do now these days is that I refrain from telling people what I know when not needed, but still, I force extrovert myself to show people my idiosyncrasies (not necessarily the know-it-all part of me). Consequently, intuitives get to notice me more. That's just when I start talking.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I tend to hide most of it, except on the rare occasion when I find someone who's somewhat interested.

Speaking of ramblings, I strongly suspect Marjorie from America's Next Top Model Cycle 11 is INTP (a little fidgety/nervous, but you get the point):

[YOUTUBE="pD4SsbRkado"]America's Next Top Model Interview - Marjorie[/YOUTUBE]

<3 She moves her arms a LOT, my god. But yeah, that's a somewhat typical ramble I guess. I have a tendency to speak even faster than she does (but I prefer fast speakers, otherwise I get bored and zone out).

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ

For the most part, it doesn't bother me. I enjoy listening and watching the body language when someone is going off on a tangent, i am truly fascinated with it. I possibly will not have a clue what you are talking about so i will ask questions. I like it. If what you speak of bores me though, i'll just tell you.

Don't worry about what others think (lol, i am laughing at myself for saying that). Those little snippets of information are really interesting to know so share them with others who are just curious by nature. :)

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Huh...what's better than an NTP sharing their interests/thoughts? Such amazing things going on in there, I could listen for hours on end even if it's not something I would normally be interested in hearing; the way they explain makes it more intriguing. INTPs tend to make me laugh unintentionally and ENTPs make me laugh intentionally, with their offbeat humor and general observations. I especially like their more philosophical ramblings.

Speaking of ramblings, I strongly suspect Marjorie from America's Next Top Model Cycle 11 is INTP (a little fidgety/nervous, but you get the point):

[YOUTUBE="pD4SsbRkado"]America's Next Top Model Interview - Marjorie[/YOUTUBE]

Wobble-wobble-chicken-arms.

INTP home schooled model, huh?
How did this happen? I'd need to see how she reacts outside of an interview.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd say Marge was an xNFP - she spent a fair amount of time in the series crying. I'd think E but she may be an I type SERIOUSLY over compensating...

The fitgetting thing is classic NP - I've seen ENFP's twitch this much too (but also ENTPS)... She lack the seriousness of thought

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've never heard an INFP ramble like that before.

ENFP.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Definitely! I'll read some really cool fact and want to share it with someone but then I realize that most people probably don't care. Or I'll mention it to someone and they'll say something like, "Hmm. Cool. So, how have you been?"

There should be a 24-hour hotline where you can call and talk to other people of a similar type about such things.

I'll take that job gladly, if you're willing to compromise to 8 hours a day and it pays well:alttongue:

Seriously, I love learning new things and enjoy sharing, though I admit that on really abstract and mathematical things I won't be more than a sounding board, as I won't be able to keep up with you..but I'm willing to listen :D

Btw, this is also why a lot of people blog :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll take that job gladly, if you're willing to compromise to 8 hours a day and it pays well:alttongue:

Seriously, I love learning new things and enjoy sharing, though I admit that on really abstract and mathematical things I won't be more than a sounding board, as I won't be able to keep up with you..but I'm willing to listen :D

Btw, this is also why a lot of people blog :D

For the love of god, I just can not uphold a blog of any kind for longer than a week.. Even if it is in my interest zone!

I much prefer direct feedback. :)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
<3 She moves her arms a LOT, my god. But yeah, that's a somewhat typical ramble I guess. I have a tendency to speak even faster than she does (but I prefer fast speakers, otherwise I get bored and zone out).
Yes, she tends to move her arms when she speaks; very "mental," type of person.

Wobble-wobble-chicken-arms.

INTP home schooled model, huh?
How did this happen? I'd need to see how she reacts outside of an interview.
You know, just the usual -- modeling scout goes to the bookstore to find and "ordinary" girl, sees her and says "Hey, do you want to model?"

She is more composed outside of interviews, but still somewhat fidgety in new situations.

I'd say Marge was an xNFP - she spent a fair amount of time in the series crying. I'd think E but she may be an I type SERIOUSLY over compensating...

The fitgetting thing is classic NP - I've seen ENFP's twitch this much too (but also ENTPS)... She lack the seriousness of thought
Lol, no. Where do you pull your typings out of? It's called nerves, everyone has them, not just Fs. Especially when you are on a show like that; I know someone that was on a cycle and they said the whole thing was very grueling. She has them more than others because she is used to being alone and is nervous around other people. And E...you've got to be kidding. She was the most introverted person on the show.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Lol, no. Where do you pull your typings out of? It's called nerves, everyone has them, not just Fs. Especially when you are on a show like that; I know someone that was on a cycle and they said the whole thing was very grueling. She has them more than others because she is used to being alone and is nervous around other people. And E...you've got to be kidding. She was the most introverted person on the show.

Nothing she did on the show was T typed at all, and she came over very F type the whole way through... I aprecaite she was under presure but really nothing T in their at all. T women under stress tend to get REALLY stoic - the lass with the stary mary eyes from an easlier season who was sent home for being old was possibly a T type.... Remember NT women are not common...

As I said previously I thought she may be an over compensating I - because I reconned she was an I at the back of it, but E types can also do that... and given she just rambelled on and on (even and I under pressure would struggle), she may just be an E under stress, an ENFP I know does exactly that.

I do think that this forum seems to over claim N' types and awful lot when they are guessing people (I do think that Marge is an N), but N is not all common.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nothing she did on the show was T typed at all, and she came over very F type the whole way through... I aprecaite she was under presure but really nothing T in their at all. T women under stress tend to get REALLY stoic - the lass with the stary mary eyes from an easlier season who was sent home for being old was possibly a T type.... Remember NT women are not common...
Does she seem more feeling than analytical to you? It seemed she "mentalized" everything first, before feeling.

I do think that this forum seems to over claim N' types and awful lot when they are guessing people (I do think that Marge is an N), but N is not all common.

I agree with that. But it's kind of irrelevant since we both agree that she is at least xNxP.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Does she seem more feeling than analytical to you? It seemed she "mentalized" everything first, before feeling.

I agree with that. But it's kind of irrelevant since we both agree that she is at least xNxP.

Gooodnes yes, NT's are stoic under fire, NTs are liable to get very withdrawn go inside themselves and try and solve the problem, they wont discuss it untill they have returned their equilibrium. I have a NT mate who didn't smile at her husband for 6 weeks because she was doing that type of stuff... So wouldn't be normal behavious.

Naima might have been a T type - took them until the 11th episode to get her out from behind the repression... :D

PS - at that age NT's are really uncomfortble with huggy stuff (unless with intimate partners)... they tend to back away or freeze up. Marge was snuggly

PPS - I did think she had something wrong with her... something was WAY out of balance... can't say what gave me that impression, cos it's been a while since I saw it... but possibly some form of instability there

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gooodnes yes, NT's are stoic under fire, NTs are liable to get very withdrawn go inside themselves and try and solve the problem, they wont discuss it untill they have returned their equilibrium. I have a NT mate who didn't smile at her husband for 6 weeks because she was doing that type of stuff... So wouldn't be normal behavious.
Can't say that most NTs give me a stoic vibe, other than INTJs. I've mentioned before that INTPs seem much more unsettled vs. a type like INTJ. An INFJ probably comes off as more stoic than your average ENTP, for example.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Can't say that most NTs give me a stoic vibe, other than INTJs. I've mentioned before that INTPs seem much more unsettled vs. a type like INTJ. An INFJ probably comes off as more stoic than your average ENTP, for example.

Under stress NTs do, NTs are prone to retreating into their heads.... even the E's ..... It happens under extreme stress.. if theyare able to process the issue they will talk...

Was it Ellise (?sp) in the first cycle was probably a T type maybe an NT - she got mad in the video rather than crying... It takes a lot to push NTs there...

She wouldn't have been a J type at all.... way too chaotic...

I'm not totally convinced she was an I type she may have been E under pressure. I'd think I types even under extreem pressure couldn't talk/ramble that much.

So definate F type from me, i'm between camps on te I/E....

ring the bell

to the OP.. I do feel that way quite frequently. I'm not always in touch with social cues of what to talk about and what not to talk about. I have tons of little tidbits popping into and out of my head constantly. I can't tell you how many times in my life I've had really odd looks from people when we might be talking about pleasentries and I come out with my views on some obscure movie I assume everyone has seen (and I'm freaking excited about it in that moment), because a general mood of the conversation reminded me of a character or something. I have no explanation for why in that particular moment somethign seems so incredibly intriguing. It just does. Because of the crazy looks from people who don't quite get me, it makes me a bit more aware when I'm around new people. I'm a bit more reserved and uncomfortable. I probably make myself more uncomfortable because I'm having to put so much effort into being aware. I wonder how evident that is, now that I'm thinking about it, to the people I'm around.

Of course, I have the types of friends, like my ENFJ BBBFF, who encourage me to say whatever is on my mind. We lived together for years and would spend hours and hours almost daily just bantering and throwing ideas back and forth at each other. That was an incredible experience and I'm glad that I had that sort of relationship with another person. It would definitly be the ideal to find more people in my every day life who are encouraging of those types of exchanges and of my natural randomness. I certainly value it in others!

I guess the big thing for me is that I wish I didn't have to have that weird awkwardness there all the time with people I don't know well. I guess I'm a bit more socially aware than I care to be. I'm envious of the people who are able to just be graceful in all of their interactions and if they aren't, they don't really care anyway.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well I don't talk at all like that girl in the video. She seems WAY too manic. I mean, I get nervous energy that may make my voice jitter, but she has nervous energy that just carries her on and on and on. I say either ENTP or ENFP.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Under stress NTs do, NTs are prone to retreating into their heads.... even the E's ..... It happens under extreme stress.. if theyare able to process the issue they will talk...

Was it Ellise (?sp) in the first cycle was probably a T type maybe an NT - she got mad in the video rather than crying... It takes a lot to push NTs there...

Yes, Elise is INTJ (as well as Ukrainian Elina, from Cycle 11). I already had her pegged as a clear example of INTJ, and I believe it was Economica that asked her to take the MBTI on her blog, and it came out INTJ. But I think it's pushing it to believe that all NTs behave the same way under stress, these are four very distinct types here...

Well I don't talk at all like that girl in the video. She seems WAY too manic. I mean, I get nervous energy that may make my voice jitter, but she has nervous energy that just carries her on and on and on. I say either ENTP or ENFP.

Okay, one INTP says it's like them, one says it's not. So 1-1.

She's not an extravert, for sure. She kept to herself the whole show, except to talk with another IxFx contestant, Analeigh. Most people didn't know her well and the other contestants after the show remarked that she seemed to have a wall up.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, Elise is INTJ (as well as Ukrainian Elina, from Cycle 11). I already had her pegged as a clear example of INTJ, and I believe it was Economica that asked her to take the MBTI on her blog, and it came out INTJ. But I think it's pushing it to believe that all NTs behave the same way under stress, these are four very distinct types here...

Okay, one INTP says it's like them, one says it's not. So 1-1

She's not an extravert, for sure. She kept to herself the whole show, except to talk with another IxFx contestant, Analeigh. Most people didn't know her well and the other contestants after the show remarked that she seemed to have a wall up.

Elina's J type swampped the poor girl...

I agree that it can't be over generalised but I know a hell of a lot of NT's (skewed to men but that goes). NT's go into their head... it's how they work... they don't cry buckets... there is a thread on here (which might be ENTPs - have a look). But NTs are uncomfortable with emotions - quite a few struggle to cry at parents funerals and that type of thing, tears are a BIG thing let along complete emotional meltdowns all the time.

Have you posted it to the NF's and see what they think? I am really, really sure she is an F.....

In fairness to your third paragraph, possibly because she was being treated badly by the other girls who were jelous as hell of her..

PS - why do you think she is a T type?

Nizy

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Okay, one INTP says it's like them, one says it's not. So 1-1.

That is definitely not the way I talk when I'm interested in something. In fact I cant see myself acting the way she is, there's just too much manic energy there. Usually I speak calmly and rationally even when I am talking about a subject I'm interested in.

The other day at work I asked my co-worker(who has some medical experience), out of the blue, "With unlimited resources what would be the best way to stop bleeding." I had cut myself just before and the question just popped into my head.

I'm sure that isn't in the same spirit as the long winded discussions about obscure subjects, but its probably related.