• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Jay-Z and Bill Maher: ENTJ/ENTP conversational dynamic = hilarious

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
picture.php

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Regarding ENTP rappers, with the exception of that Del guy, they're all boring. So I'll focus on him and forget the others.

Jaguar

Jay-Z is always late for his commitments, and our interview was no different.

UGO: Why are rappers always late?

Jay-Z: We got to put our words together. It takes a minute. This s*** don't come out of the oven like this, baby boy.

UGO: How much did you prepare and rehearse for this big Madison Square Garden concert?

Jay-Z: Not long. I like to leave that feeling that you can mess up any second. When I did MTV Unplugged, we rehearsed Saturday, then recorded on Sunday. As far as the preparation for the show, getting the people there took longer than any rehearsal. I hadn't rehearsed with R. Kelly, I did two rehearsals with Mary and I didn't rehearse with Beyonce.

UGO: In the beginning of the film, it says "A Shawn Carter Film," yet you didn't actually direct it.

Jay-Z: It's my voice, my shot selection, the tone and the feeling of the movie is me. That's basically it. Nothing special.
UGO: Did you know you were going to do this movie when you started recording the album?

Jay-Z: We knew it was special, but we didn't know we were going to do this when we recorded. The filming of the recording of the CD was supposed to come out as a DVD. Then we shot the Garden because we wanted that to come out as a DVD. But then, when we started, we knew it was more than a DVD. This is a journey for a kid from Brooklyn to play the biggest stage in the world. It was inspirational because of where I come from and the fact that I couldn't get a deal in the beginning. It just became this thing.

When Letterman asked Jay what he and Beyonce do at home when they’re alone, he replied, “Eat.”

Jay settled into the couch and was his usual shy, short on words self,

Jay-Z’s Uncomfortably Funny Letterman Interview - ANIMAL

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
^^^ :nice:

To people who know more about Jay-Z than I do: Why do you think it's unlikely the ENTJ-ness is the facade? Why assume that's his actual self?

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
Del is an ENFP :)

ENTP's
Immortal Technique
Doom (Or at least XNTP)
Aesop Rock
Murs
Guru
Kool Keith
KRS- One

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Just weighing in to agree that Jay-Z is ENTJ and Maher is ENTP. Jay doesn't seem extremely extraverted, but the NTJ is pretty obvious to me based on his persona and music. I don't think that the bolded quotes in the interview Jaguar posted are definite P (or I, necessarily) indicators.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Just weighing in to agree that Jay-Z is ENTJ and Maher is ENTP. Jay doesn't seem extremely extraverted, but the NTJ is pretty obvious to me based on his persona and music. I don't think that the bolded quotes in the interview Jaguar posted are definite P (or I, necessarily) indicators.

What? ENTJs are always getting pissed at me for being late. :huh:

The J alone doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't be late, but I have never met a consistently late ENTJ.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
What? ENTJs are always getting pissed at me for being late. :huh:

The J alone doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't be late, but I have never met a consistently late ENTJ.

If he were a normal person, I'd probably agree. But he's a billionaire. He can be late, probably has an entourage, etc. And it also seems like sort of a status thing to just be able to show up whenever. It could be part of the image he wants to project.

Jaguar

Jay doesn't seem extremely extraverted,

That's because he's not even close to being an E of any type.
Jay-Z is so introverted, he actually makes my introverted brother look extroverted by comparison.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Jay-Z is so introverted, he actually makes my introverted brother look extroverted by comparison.

I'm not ruling out E, particularly if he's ENxx, who are well known for being spotty about how extroverted they appear (unlike ESxx).

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

If Jay Z is extraverted, then Bill Maher must scare him shitless.

Not only Jay Z's way of talking was very reserved, even his body language was painfully restrained. His hands were clenches together in a steel grip throughout the whole thing.

Jaguar

What happend to the coke dealer comment, Blah? Lol.
I guess you deleted it.

Negative_

Ever notice the bizarre "I don't quite trust you but I don't fully understand you so I'm gonna remain aloof" dynamic between ENTJs and ENTPs when they talk to each other?

It's interesting how the type that differs only by the last letter interacts...it's like, "You're almost doing it right...and yet, somehow you seem to succeed anyway...hmm..."

You can tell Jay-Z (the ENTJ) is exercising a fair amount of discipline in not responding to Maher's (ENTP) subtle probing. Maher pushes and pushes the line to see how much he can get away with for the sake of humorous effect, and Jay-Z makes very quick calculations to respond with precisely the right image.

You can also tell Jay-Z doesn't quite feel like Maher is taking him seriously at times and that bugs him because ENTJs, above all else, hate being trifled with...and yet ENTPs love trifling because we love to poke people until they break. (And when ENTJs break, they REALLY BREAK!) But this smart ENTJ knows exactly how to manipulate his public image and you can see him almost take offense for half a second from some subtle implication and then back off and respond smoothly and calculatedly. Always so methodical.

Jaguar, this reminds me of me and you. :laugh:

Quasi-identity - Wikisocion

Quasi-identity is an intertype relation between two people from opposing quadras who have similar, but not identical functions, and no suggestive influence over the other. Partners typically have a lot to say about the same kinds of topics (as do, typically, any members of a single "club"), and their conversations gravitate to these common spheres of interest, but they take entirely different approaches to every subject. They both take note of the same phenomena, but describe and analyze them in completely different terms that the other finds interesting, but completely unsatisfying. This is because the language and approach of one partner's leading function corresponds to the strong, but undervalued demonstrative function of the other. Each partner tends to be impressed with the other's skillful use of his leading function, which they perceive more as a "performance" (due to their own attitudes toward their demonstrative function) than a sincere and honest expression.

In closer interaction, partners' instincts are to want to correct the other person's approach and redefine the issues in completely different language. This leads to a feeling of being underappreciated by the other. Partners are easily drawn into quite personal conversations because of the sense that the other person can relate to them, but this psychological intimacy can easily disappear without a trace when aggravation about something the other person does finally boils over and partners allow themselves to express dissatisfaction with the other. This can lead to disappointment and a feeling of betrayal of trust or lack of loyalty when partners suddenly don't want to be around each other or maintain the relationship anymore because it drains them.

While generally sympathetic towards each other and sharing many of the same weaknesses, quasi-identicals are almost unable to offer meaningful assistance on a personal level, and quickly become annoyed with each other's expectations, if any.

edit: doesn't translate 100% since it's mostly about romantic relationships, but you can get the gist of it.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Honestly when you're a billionaire superstar, you can afford to be late. Nobody is going to talk shit.

Although I will grant that INTJ is possible, he's clearly xNTJ. ENxx types tend to appear less extroverted than ESxx...plus I would bet that someone who's reached his level of success has learned to balance his functions pretty well, so xNTJ is probably as close as we're going to get...hard to say whether he naturally puts more stock in Te or Ni.

And to whoever said "Why believe the ENTJ is his real personality?"--his public interview/surface persona doesn't look very ENTJ; we've already gone through that. He appears more ESxP in performances/interviews because that's calculated for effect. The underlying persona is xNTJ.