• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Jay-Z and Bill Maher: ENTJ/ENTP conversational dynamic = hilarious

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ever notice the bizarre "I don't quite trust you but I don't fully understand you so I'm gonna remain aloof" dynamic between ENTJs and ENTPs when they talk to each other?
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWvpRt01LUY"]ENTP Interviews ENTJ[/YOUTUBE]

It's interesting how the type that differs only by the last letter interacts...it's like, "You're almost doing it right...and yet, somehow you seem to succeed anyway...hmm..."

You can tell Jay-Z (the ENTJ) is exercising a fair amount of discipline in not responding to Maher's (ENTP) subtle probing. Maher pushes and pushes the line to see how much he can get away with for the sake of humorous effect, and Jay-Z makes very quick calculations to respond with precisely the right image.

You can also tell Jay-Z doesn't quite feel like Maher is taking him seriously at times and that bugs him because ENTJs, above all else, hate being trifled with...and yet ENTPs love trifling because we love to poke people until they break. (And when ENTJs break, they REALLY BREAK!) But this smart ENTJ knows exactly how to manipulate his public image and you can see him almost take offense for half a second from some subtle implication and then back off and respond smoothly and calculatedly. Always so methodical.

Jaguar, this reminds me of me and you. :laugh:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi

I don't know either of these guys... but if I had to spot tpe I'd have said Jay-Z was the ENTP and the interview the J type....

The reason I'd say that ws that Jay had an element of shyness and made people laugh easily.

Didn't finding it funny though.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Ever notice the bizarre "I don't quite trust you but I don't fully understand you so I'm gonna remain aloof" dynamic between ENTJs and ENTPs when they talk to each other?
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWvpRt01LUY"]ENTP Interviews ENTJ[/YOUTUBE]

It's interesting how the type that differs only by the last letter interacts...it's like, "You're almost doing it right...and yet, somehow you seem to succeed anyway...hmm..."

You can tell Jay-Z (the ENTJ) is exercising a fair amount of discipline in not responding to Maher's (ENTP) subtle probing. Maher pushes and pushes the line to see how much he can get away with for the sake of humorous effect, and Jay-Z makes very quick calculations to respond with precisely the right image.

You can also tell Jay-Z doesn't quite feel like Maher is taking him seriously at times and that bugs him because ENTJs, above all else, hate being trifled with...and yet ENTPs love trifling because we love to poke people until they break. (And when ENTJs break, they REALLY BREAK!) But this smart ENTJ knows exactly how to manipulate his public image and you can see him almost take offense for half a second from some subtle implication and then back off and respond smoothly and calculatedly. Always so methodical.

Jaguar, this reminds me of me and you. :laugh:

I love Jay-Z, but I kind of tolerate Maher. :D

I did think that the interview was awkward. But I was pretty impressed with how Jay-Z handled it... made me like him more! He's so charismatic, how can you not love him?

[edit] Hmm, wait... Jay-Z is the ENTP? I am really bad at typing people...

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Hi

I don't know either of these guys... but if I had to spot tpe I'd have said Jay-Z was the ENTP and the interview the J type....

The reason I'd say that ws that Jay had an element of shyness and made people laugh easily.

I think the same thing about Jay-Z. The part when Jay-Z subtly threw the pot thing out there (even though he doesn't smoke pot) seemed like something I would have done. I would have seen that interviewer was trying to provoke me, but I would have been diplomatic about it while still showing him that I was paying attention.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Also ... Jay-Z seems more aware of / concerned with the audience's reaction than Bill Maher.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi

I don't even know where to start in responding to this. :doh:

Suffice it to say Bill Maher is almost a caricature of an ENTP...he's not even remotely J.

I think the same thing about Jay-Z. The part when Jay-Z subtly threw the pot thing out there (even though he doesn't smoke pot) seemed like something I would have done. I would have seen that interviewer was trying to provoke me, but I would have been diplomatic about it while still showing him that I was paying attention.

That's a learned skill. ENTJs specifically learn to imitate Ne/Se responses in situations where they're advantageous...this is very important for entertainers who have an image to keep up...Jay is much too calculated and externally goal-oriented for a P. There's always an end game and a broader strategic goal. Are you a fan of Jay-Z? I would think his ENTJness would be quite evident.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, that's cool. He's basically the evil overlord of the hip hop empire. That's him in a nutshell :)

For a more natural Pe-style hip hop entertainer/mogul, you can look at Diddy (oddly enough, he took the P out of his name because it was apparently "getting between him and his fans"); I think he's a clear ESTP.

I can't think of a famous ENTP rapper off the top of my head, though. (Maybe Del tha Funky Homosapien?)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you a fan of Jay-Z? I would think his ENTJness would be quite evident.

It is. The idea of Jay-Z as ENTP is laughable. ENTPs and ENTJs don't have much in common, IMO. I'm a big fan and he is ENTJ all the way...

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't even know where to start in responding to this. :doh:

Suffice it to say Bill Maher is almost a caricature of an ENTP...he's not even remotely J.

I'm not from the US, and I haven't a clue who either of these are - but sat through the 10 min and observed.... I certainly wouldn't say Jay was a J type at all from this reel, infact his method of recallings songs etc very P typed IMO.... He's an entrepreneurial, slightly bashful, has warmth etc

You're seeing through eyes which have recognition of both of them, i'm basing it on the 10 min reel

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Most ENTPs have a charm that I don't see in Bill Maher. I don't have an opinion on his type, but I know I don't see myself in him. Maybe because I'm a woman? Maybe because he's in character? Or maybe he's just one of those ENTPs that doesn't charm me.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Most ENTPs have a charm that I don't see in Bill Maher. I don't have an opinion on his type, but I know I don't see myself in him. Maybe because I'm a woman? Maybe because he's in character? Or maybe he's just one of those ENTPs that doesn't charm me.

He's just a jackass :coffee: I've been watching his show for a long time now with my mother, and he's just not a likable person. He's very cruel and the way he delivers his jokes is more... ouch, than funny

I think he's an ENTJ...

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
He's just a jackass :coffee: I've been watching his show for a long time now with my mother, and he's just not a likable person. He's very cruel and the way he delivers his jokes is more... ouch, than funny

Missing Fe, maybe.

ENTP + a pinch of Fe = playful, subtle, naughty

ENTP - Fe = need to stfu?

:huh:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Yeah he just doesn't really put much stock in Fe or Si...he's kind of an unbalanced ENTP. But it's definitely there.

I think he's an ENTJ...

He's just an ENTP with poor Fe, but I'll forgive you because I'm always glad to see new ENTP women showing up on the forum!

Adorable avatar, by the way. Welcome, welcome.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm not from the US, and I haven't a clue who either of these are - but sat through the 10 min and observed.... I certainly wouldn't say Jay was a J type at all from this reel, infact his method of recallings songs etc very P typed IMO.... He's an entrepreneurial, slightly bashful, has warmth etc

You're seeing through eyes which have recognition of both of them, i'm basing it on the 10 min reel

The thing about focus threw me though. I don't know anyone who would describe ENTPs as focused. And I don't know much about this guy, so if his focus is enough of a thing to bring up in an interview, he probably is an ENTJ (despite seeming P-ish here).

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Whaa I wanna watch ;_;

Stupid video card being dead won't lemme watch youtube videos >.<

Meh.

Well just pretend I had an opinion here. A really strong one. With a long rant to back it up. Without any facts, just strong opinions displayed as facts. Oh and some witty humour. Something to do with sock puppets. Yeah, that'll do.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Everything you have to say about it is completely wrong.

[insert supporting evidence here]

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
^ Everything you have to say about it is completely wrong.

[insert supporting evidence here]

*Refutes evidence with overly eloquent speech and an emphasis for the dramatic with many sensationalistic overly exaggerated examples*