• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Jay-Z and Bill Maher: ENTJ/ENTP conversational dynamic = hilarious

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
The thing about focus threw me though. I don't know anyone who would describe ENTPs as focused. And I don't know much about this guy, so if his focus is enough of a thing to bring up in an interview, he probably is an ENTJ (despite seeming P-ish here).

I'm not convinced, I can be focused to the point I forget to eat if I'm engrained on something. If I have a goal I work tierlessly towards it.

What I don't do is plan in a time linear way.

Hell I don't know who the guy is, he just didn't seem J typed at all - too much movment in his body - innability to sit still. playing the audience effortlessly aside from his chat to the interviewer... Even the lyrics to the songs - too many words in his earlier lyrics, thats not J liked.

Anyway it's really not important... You guys clearly know him better than I ever will/ever want too :D

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not convinced, I can be focused to the point I forget to eat if I'm engrained on something. If I have a goal I work tierlessly towards it.

What I don't do is plan in a time linear way.

Hell I don't know who the guy is, he just didn't seem J typed at all - too much movment in his body - innability to sit still. playing the audience effortlessly aside from his chat to the interviewer... Even the lyrics to the songs - too many words in his earlier lyrics, thats not J liked.

Anyway it's really not important... You guys clearly know him better than I ever will/ever want too :D

Ummm yeah as an entertainer he understands the necessity of coming off as an ESxP (the types most traditionally suited to entertainment) when necessary.

There's a reason he's a billionaire. As you've so clearly demonstrated for us, his act works. He fooled you.

EDIT: He also used to sell cocaine professionally (and he never got caught.) That line of work only puts up with Ne's carefree space cadet bullshit in movies.

In my experience, drug dealers are almost always either xSTP or xNTJ. One tends to be the foot soldier that either learns how to move up into middle distribution quickly or gets caught/killed, and the other tends to be the kingpin at the very top who makes the most money and never, ever, ever gets caught. He's profoundly NTJ.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
So are you saying you think he is a J type because he is a billionaire? :s

I didn't get an S vibe of him at all.... the act didn't work

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
*Refutes evidence with overly eloquent speech and an emphasis for the dramatic with many sensationalistic overly exaggerated examples*

*reads first sentence, loses interest, skims the rest while pretending to have paid attention, makes goofy non sequitur to ease boredom*

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So are you saying you think he is a J type because he is a billionaire? :s

I didn't get an S vibe of him at all.... the act didn't work

Se and Ne give very similar vibes, and both are very different from Te/Fe.

The general ExxP vibe is there, so apparently it did work.

And your first question is dumb enough not to warrant a response.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
*reads first sentence, loses interest, skims the rest while pretending to have paid attention, makes goofy non sequitur to ease boredom*

*Conters the non sequiter with a vast armada of fluffy marshmallow battleships carved from the living flesh of peeps forged in frankenstein's castle*

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

It's real real easy to find poor arguments in your opponents' positions when you're the one arbitrarily defining them for your opponent. Keep dreaming, champ.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I know several millionaires who are P's but I don't know any billionaires at all - so I'm at a loss...

It's a poor argument, thats all

You'll just have to trust us then. He's ENTJ.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes.

I don't really see how he comes off as P in the interview, anyhow. What exactly seems perceiving?

Its REALLY not a biggie, I don't care what he is, before this morning I'd never seen/heard of the guy.

He moves a lot in his chair - not quite fidget but toned down restlessness (J types are in my experience very static)

The focus of his attention is split (he is oober consious of the crowed behind him - this may of course be an act - it's the way it's done... J types I'd say focus in one direction, and then the other, p types split their field of vision if you like).

The sense of humour - dropping witticisim to the audience

Charm in a bashful unasumming way (J types in my experience - WAY more direct)

He commented of having too many words in his earlier lyrics thats not J liked

His innovation in order to write lyrics

Entreapenure - although to be honest the guys in the suits tend to do that for the artists so may be irrelevant..

I guess both J's and P's are focused on their thing to an obsessional level.

Just an oppinion, based on what I saw in the interview... mainly the movement, the bashfulness and split attention it has to be said.... So I'm sure you guys who have seen this person multiple times have a better handle on type...

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've always seen Maher as an ENTP. He's simply an extremely obnoxious ENTP. I don't know anything about Jay-Z, so I can't comment on his type.

It is. The idea of Jay-Z as ENTP is laughable. ENTPs and ENTJs don't have much in common, IMO. I'm a big fan and he is ENTJ all the way...

ENTP's and ENTJ's are different on the surface and similar underneath. ENTP's and ENTJ's have similar goals and motivations. More specifically both ENT types seek some sort of mastery over the world around them. However they have extremely different approaches to achieving their goals. ENTJ's rely more on efficiency, while ENTP's rely more on originality.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Its REALLY not a biggie, I don't care what he is, before this morning I'd never seen/heard of the guy.

He moves a lot in his chair - not quite fidget but toned down restlessness (J types are in my experience very static)

The focus of his attention is split (he is oober consious of the crowed behind him - this may of course be an act - it's the way it's done... J types I'd say focus in one direction, and then the other, p types split their field of vision if you like).

The sense of humour - dropping witticisim to the audience

Charm in a bashful unasumming way (J types in my experience - WAY more direct)

He commented of having too many words in his earlier lyrics thats not J liked

His innovation in order to write lyrics

Entreapenure - although to be honest the guys in the suits tend to do that for the artists so may be irrelevant..

I guess both J's and P's are focused on their thing to an obsessional level.

Just an oppinion, based on what I saw in the interview... mainly the movement, the bashfulness and split attention it has to be said.... So I'm sure you guys who have seen this person multiple times have a better handle on type...

I think most of what you mentioned can be attributed to the N factor. I think people sometimes forget that NJs are still Ns like NPs. Thus they are prone to being scattered, have a witty sense of humor, and can be very innovative. I'm known for my absentmindness and inventiveness, yet I'm still a J. I don't know what wordiness has to do with J/P, and entrepreneurship is an ENTJ specialty.

Jay-Z is all about business, the bottom line; he's no nonsense. He plays around so he doesn't come off as too stuffy and full of himself, but he is pretty serious. Listening to his songs it's clear he is Te dominant; it's all about organizing and arranging the environment in a way to get ahead. He's competitive, he wants to be on top and stay there, and we all know how much Te focuses on goals in the external environment. His Ni is used in thinking of ingenious ways to do this. Ne dominance is just not at all evident to anyone who knows him and/or his work in any fashion.

ENTP's and ENTJ's are different on the surface and similar underneath. ENTP's and ENTJ's have similar goals and motivations. More specifically both ENT types seek some sort of mastery over the world around them. However they have extremely different approaches to achieving their goals. ENTJ's rely more on efficiency, while ENTP's rely more on originality.

I basically agree and think that can be said for INTs as well, except in mastery of the inner world. However, I don't think they're similar underneath. ENTPs are more similar to ENFPs and ESTPs, than to ENTJs, but that's just my opinion.

I've always seen Maher as an ENTP. He's simply an extremely obnoxious ENTP.

Same. Maher=ENTP. The OP is correct, in my view.

Jaguar

Jaguar, this reminds me of me and you. :laugh:

I saw that interview on HBO.
You picked someone so opposite me in nature, it's ridiculous.

Jay-Z reminds me of a horse taking a shit in a Budweiser commercial.

If you want to know what I'm like, think James Woods.
He talks as fast and thinks as fast as I do.
He's brutally honest, direct, bold, and he's well-known for his scathing sarcasm.
He's also the one person most people compare me to, for many reasons.
We don't look alike, but our personalities are similar.

"The only solution to Osama bin Laden is a fucking 88-millimeter shell through his forehead."

Like I said--think James Woods.
We think and speak alike.

If I were you, I'd stick to being a pizza delivery boy.
You have no insight into people.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I basically agree and think that can be said for INTs as well, except in mastery of the inner world. However, I don't think they're similar underneath. ENTPs are more similar to ENFPs and ESTPs, than to ENTJs, but that's just my opinion.

Well I agree about ENFP. They are so similar to ENTP that it is easy to confuse the two. And yet when I think of all the people I've encountered who have interests most similar to mine it ends up being ENTP's and ENTJ's. ENTJ's have very similar goals, interests, and motivations to ENTP's. In these ways the ENTJ is more similar to ENTP than even the ENFP is.

As far as ESTP I can't see them as much like ENTP. The S/N divide is simply to great. There are a few superficial similarities but that is about it.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

He's brutally honest, direct, bold, and he's well-known for his scathing sarcasm.

"The only solution to Osama bin Laden is a fucking 88-millimeter shell through his forehead."

:yim_rolling_on_the_

:wubbie:

Sounds like the ENTJs I've known.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes.

I don't really see how he comes off as P in the interview, anyhow. What exactly seems perceiving?

Not much, just another case of Tinkerbell not having a damn clue what she's talking about.

She has a reputation for that.

I really can't take any of this seriously. It's obvious that all of this is contrived for the purpose of trying to piss me off, and it's both inaccurate and unsuccessful.

If you can't see the resemblances between yourself and Jay-Z, maybe you should reevaluate the belief that your Ne is as good as your Ni. I know you have "test scores" and all that, but those don't really mean much in an inherently subjective field.

Let me know when you're done mouthing off so we can get onto discussing something meaningful. The "Grrr I am an angry asshole" act is getting pretty boring honestly.

Jaguar

Ever see Simon Cowell sitting? Very still and focused.
Sits with his chin in his left hand, and his middle finger-or two-up the left side of his face.

That's exactly how I sit.