• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do you like Sci-fi?

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
:laugh: Hilarious. But, midgets are neither fantasy nor science-fiction. What gives?

Hypothesis: "dwarves" is a deprecated term for short people, in addition to being a fantasy species; so maybe EffEmDoubleyou programmed his subconscious to automatically substitute "midgets" instead, on the reasonable assumption that he or she would never actually meet the fantasy version? I dunno. :unsure:

Last edited:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hypothesis: dwarves are a fantasy species, but "dwarves" is also a deprecated term for short people, so EffEmDoubleyou programmed his subconscious to automatically substitute "midgets" instead? I dunno. :unsure:
Gnomes and hobbits count too.

MBTI Type
INTJ
:laugh: Hilarious. But, midgets are neither fantasy nor science-fiction. What gives?

Sure they are! You can call them Hobbits or you can call them elves, or you can call them Yoda, or you can call them whatever the heck they called them in the Dark Crystal, but they're all midgets :p

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I love sci-fi, although I prefer books and films rather than television series. I think this is because tv tends to focus on personal relationships rather than big ideas.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Sci fi and fantasy, yes, especially when blended, such as in shadowrun.

Specifically, I just really love good writing though, and am far more picky about the writing style, than of the genre.

For example, I just watched silence of the lambs again yesterday. WONDERFUL movie... but it's not sci-fi. It's not fantasy. It's not even a genre I normally care for, but it's exceptionally well written.

Star trek is alright I guess... at least the original series and TNG were, and the movies until the recent one which I haven't watched out of spite. The others, DS9, voyager, enterprise? Not really interested, the writing sucked and being 'zomg in space!' means nothing. Space exploration is a TOOL to deliver a story. Enterprise used it as a crutch. Voyager used it as a drama -_-;

If yeu want good sci-fi, watch babylon 5. There yeu go, awesomeness in a can. PURE 100% awesome.

Terminator was good, at least the second movie and the first were. Third was alright, haven't seen fourth but not sure I care despite that they finally got to the part I WANTED to see >.<

Dr who is <3, at least most of the time. Everyone knows the best doctor was the fourth doctor, and had the stupidly long scarf and the sonic screwdriver though. And K-9.

*Swoon over scarf* I needs me one of those XD

Anyways, yeah, sci-fi is good... sometimes. GOOD sci-fi is GOOD. Not because it's sci-fi, but BECAUSE it is good. GOOD fantasy is also GOOD, once again not because it's fantasy but because it's well written.

Sci-fi and fantasy just happen to be useful mediums which provide far more creative reach. If yeu're writing non-fiction, yeu're pretty much handicapped on whot yeu can write. Yeu can't place in a moral which doesn't exist without screwing up the storyline, and yeu can't make anything new or interesting which didn't exist. Reality CAN be stranger than fiction (after all, fiction has to stick to possibilities), but fiction can do things which reality hasn't done.

Sci-fi and fantasy just give a vast expance of tools to apply to situations beyond that which currently exist. A truly great writer can make awe-inspiring use of these tools. A bad one still sucks. I like good writing, it just so happens that sci-fi and fantasy give a broader range of tools to the good writers, so that yeu can see just HOW good they really are.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Exactly. I love high-quality sci-fi, like Asimov or Lem, just as I love fantasy 'classics'. And I have a thing for Shadowrun too :D

But most of all, I love utopian stories - Orwell, Atwood, Lang etc. I prefer these things in books, films, games 'n stuff - like Deus Ex, which is the best game I've ever played *nerd*

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Exactly. I love high-quality sci-fi, like Asimov or Lem, just as I love fantasy 'classics'. And I have a thing for Shadowrun too :D

But most of all, I love utopian stories - Orwell, Atwood, Lang etc. I prefer these things in books, films, games 'n stuff - like Deus Ex, which is the best game I've ever played *nerd*

Considering the things yeu just listed... I think yeu mean DIS-topian, not U-topian.

Miiiiinor little difference there XD

And yeah I loves deus ex as well (one of the only FPS games I can tollerate playing), and much of the others as well =3

Ideas like farenheit 451, or 2112, or anthem, are all <3

And yes, shadowrun 4tw! (distopian)

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
I like anything with a good story. There is some really crappy sci-fi/fantasy out there.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Sci-fi - yes
Fantasy - yes

I think silentstream is right, you need to get the good stuff for it to be good. I usually stick to certain authors so I know their quality is high. <3 Asimov, Card, Tolkien, Lewis, (Christie although not scifi/fantasy) I will pretty much read everything available once I find a top of the line author I like.

I find I really have to dig to find good stuff in any genre, I will usually pick 7-8 books at the library at a time and can't always find good stuff. Once I was reading a series that was very "light" and then started another book and couldn't even go back to the "light" one. (light = not many threads of a story)

I've had luck with Dennis McKiernan, Robin Cook, Michael Stackpole.

I've never really gotten into TV much, but I guess I'm watching BSG now. It's pretty good but I just like reading a lot better.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Seeing as 90% of the best video games I've ever played are formed on a science fictional basis, of course I enjoy it. Also, Star Trek TNG is probably the best drama ever crafted.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Considering the things yeu just listed... I think yeu mean DIS-topian, not U-topian.
Miiiiinor little difference there XD

I believe 'dystopia' is a sub-genre of 'utopia', or at least that's what I've learned. It's only a matter of perspective btw, I would never consider a phalanstère an 'ideal society'.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Loath, loath, looooooooooooooath Sci fi....

Just can't see the appeal at all. I am none to keen on fantisy either.....

Presumably I'm unusal for an NT... who seem to lap this stuff up

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
So why the name tinkerbell and the avatar? Those both look full of fantasy.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was just about to say the same thing

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey

I now get a comment someone else made to me on here earlier in the week.

The the avatar is a chracture of myself done for a leaving card for a job I had a few years ago...

The name - longer story. I'm dyslexic, and as a small child I love to know what was in the fairy tale books and I used to get my brother to read them to me. Without the drive from fairy power my dyslexia would be a lot worst (I read a ferocious amount) so I have a soft spot for fairies....

I used to work for an ENTJ who was very scientific, and we used to argue about science and that he couldn't actually prove that fairies didn't exisist (he ribs me about astrology)... I rib him about science being so limited.

I now have a new improved argument, science can' measure thoughts..... does that mean they don't exsist :D
(don't get side tracked - it is for him to argue - hes screwed... :D)

dorcus0

MBTI Type
INTP
Sci-fi yes, Star Wars and Star Trek are quite the staple, although they're soft. I prefer Isaac Asimov, Orson Scott Card, and Alastair Reynolds.
Fantasy not as much. Anne Rice and Piers Anthony are all I can remember off the top of my head. Can't believe I almost forgot Lord of the Rings!

Speculative fiction is great because it allows for greater creativity, and holds fewer of the assumptions that we hold in the real world. Sci-fi and fantasy have much more potential to thought-provoking on universal truths.

That being said, it pisses me off when the authors break the suspension of disbelief. Then everything looks stupid. I also hate it when mainstream people think that taking a pile of crap and putting it "... in space!" makes it science fiction. If science fiction doesn't live up to the "science" part, then it loses some of its value. Star Trek, for example has quite a lot of technobabble, but it's quite consistent technobabble. I like some of the ideas they explore (in one Voyager episode, two people getting fused into one, where the new person's thoughts are a mixture of the two previous people). Some of it is stupid, though (like two people going so fast that they go into reverse evolution and become simpler mammals, Voyager again)

There's this perception out there that fantasy is just fantasy, and you can do whatever you like when writing it. No, everything has to be internally consistent. I love how all the detail Anne Rice and J. R. Tolkien put into their books not only remain internally consistent, but also enhance the immersion into their fictional universes.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do I like sci-fi is a tough question to answer.

It depends on how it is brought. If it is believable to some wordly extent. Or if something is different from common science, is it explained in a good way.

Overall, has there been enough thought put into creating the sci-fi.

Then yes, I enjoy sci-fi. But if anything feels fake or absurd in any way. It rapidly looses my interests.

My favorite forms of sci-fi are the kinds that play at or around our current time. For example, Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis are amongst my favorite sci-fi series. I also enjoy some for their humor, such as Farscape (coincidentally also taking place in our current timeline. :p ). Sci-fi wise not really -that- great. But the humor and self mockery make up for that bigtime, especially later in the series.

Star Trek and Star Wars I am not that big on.

My most favorite genre is fantasy though.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
Loath, loath, looooooooooooooath Sci fi....

Just can't see the appeal at all. I am none to keen on fantisy either.....

Presumably I'm unusal for an NT... who seem to lap this stuff up

...not this NT

can't stand star trek and all the geeks who idolize the characters

I like science non-fiction