• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Smartest in the world work Blue collar jobs

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I've heard over 75% of mensa members work blue collar jobs.

Then I've heard of people like Rick Rosner with about 190 IQ who went through periods of living off dog food, and returned to high school 4 times voluntarily lol... and ironically losing the $16,000 question on who wants to be a millionaire, then went on to sue them for the flawed question.

Chris Langan the bouncer for 20 years with a 190-210 IQ, Highest in America. I think he's a farmer now though.
Smartest Man in the World Espouses Virtues of Eugenics - One Man's Blog
I can see why people don't like smart people. It might be that since this guy is supposedly on a level that makes me look retarded that I look at him weird, the weird way that other people often look at me. Or it is possible that they really arn't that smart, I don't really know.

The man with the highest IQ in the world presently is Korean Physicist / Engineer Kim Ung-yong, with a verified IQ of 210. Apparently he felt that he missed out on his whole childhood and was super alienated with no friends at all. So he quit his job at NASA and went back to Korea to join some clubs and try to "fit in".

What do you guy's think? Do they seem "smart"? Or just plain crazy.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
That's not too far away. In my burned-out years, I've got slightly below MENSA results. In other years (perhaps now) I'd get +0,75..+1,00 SD MENSA marks, in other words, I'd qualify easily.

(You know depression lowers one's IQ results).

Because of my burnout, I've worked lowly jobs for few years. Telephone interviewer. Researcher assistant. Secretary. (I don't know which is the feminine, Secretary or Secreteer). But, none of those are blue-collar jobs. Lowly waged, low jobs alltogether. yes.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What do you guy's think? Do they seem "smart"? Or just plain crazy.

Answering this question alone:

Overall, someone can be (academically) intelligent, yet turn out less successful due to poor judgments. (Academically) intelligent people could be found in the most unexpected places, while their polar opposites could be working in the highest executive positions. It all depends on how the individual utilizes their gifts.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
definitely understandable

definitely felt like in hs i got more respect for getting a high batting average during baseball season, or getting into fights where i win, vs. getting good grades or sat scores.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP

Overall, someone can be (academically) intelligent, yet turn out less successful due to poor judgments. (Academically) intelligent people could be found in the most unexpected places, while their polar opposites could be working in the highest executive positions. It all depends on how the individual utilizes their gifts.

Yea like that girl who mentioned her CFO was an ESFP. I guess that's what happens when the majority, consisting of average minded people take control of the system. It becomes an ass kissing game to get to the top, not actual capabilities.

Oh and I wouldn't consider some of these guys academically intelligent, they are autodidacts that learned outside of academia, but happened to be smarter than those who learn through academia by academia's standards.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Yeah but statistically, academically intelligent people are more likely to have college degrees, and in turn are more likely to end up with high-income jobs.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I guess that's what happens when the majority, consisting of average minded people take control of the system. It becomes an ass kissing game to get to the top, not actual capabilities.

Yes, isn't it a challenge to maintain integrity when you're at the top (governments, lawyers, etc.)? If I wanted to keep my honesty, I'd try to seek alternatives to the ass-kissing game. This is where traits like resourcefulness, understanding, flexibility and perseverance are highly crucial to develop on.

Yeah but statistically, academically intelligent people are more likely to have college degrees, and in turn are more likely to end up with high-income jobs.

Certainly. They've been groomed to think like a person who believes they deserve the best. :)

---------------------------------------------------

*Edit: Let me find a semi-related article on this topic. I'll post it up.

*2nd Edit: Poverty Grows Among Children of Immigrants in US. Once my other computer loads, I'll provide the link to a better article. I wanted to illuminate how "intelligence" plays a factor into another issue: US foreigners. What seems to be the most popular variables in deciding career achievements amongst the immigrants are their parent's educational level, family structure and inevitably, class.

I don't have time to write out a complete detailed analysis, but briefly:

Two immigrant families, A and B, with the same IQ level and financial income are starting out in one area.
  • Family A: White collar bent, values education, values career success
  • Family B: Blue collar bent, values 'real life' jobs, values immediate family success

+ Family A will push their children onto higher education and white collared achievements, despite the family's lack of funding. They consistently aim to make their children to become more successful than they currently are. With the right social networking and encouragement, these children will have a higher chance of landing better jobs than family B.

+ Family B will push their children to study enough as needed to work. Higher education is deemed as a waste of investment and the parents will ultimately desire to have their children supporting the family once the opportunity arises. Challenging them academically is not their number one priority. Naturally, they will remain in the blue-collared jobs because they are not pushing themselves towards the higher goals.

Bottom line: Intelligence can quicken the learning process, but there are other factors (disabilities, social disadvantages, social support, individual judgment, values, attitudes, etc.) that contribute to how someone's life turns out.
---------------------------------------------------

There's also a film, Real Women Have Curves, discussing this matter.

"The coming-of-age plot revolves around Ana Garcia, a Mexican-American teenager living in an East Los Angeles barrio. While attending Beverly Hills High School, where she is an accomplished student, she works in near-sweatshop conditions in her sister's dress factory alongside her mother, Carmen (Ontiveros), who considers this to be her younger daughter's vocation. But Ana, encouraged by her teacher Mr. Guzman (George Lopez), has dreams of attending Columbia. Before achieving her goal, she must try to balance her mother's traditional view of women with her own contemporary ideas while dealing with self-image issues and exploring a new romantic relationship." - RWHC Summary

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It seems that those with high intelligence suffer more. Well then why don't they use their intelligence to make their lives much more resourceful.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
It seems that those with high intelligence suffer more. Well then why don't they use their intelligence to make their lives much more resourceful.

If you click that link under Chris Langan he gives his explanation for this. It's a common question people ask.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you click that link under Chris Langan he gives his explanation for this. It's a common question people ask.
What I meant is one should hide his intelligence and use it under the shadows to get what he want. Never show your intelligence. Only use it. He showed it. It's like you have a really expensive laptop.
Would you show it to everyone? No
Would you use it? Yes

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Here's some discussion on it.
Thought Experiments : The Blog: Are Mensa Members Thick?

I don't see many people disagreeing either, they are mostly just giving explanations on why it's true.

That was snark, not science. Mr. Appleyard conflated EQ with IQ and humorously claimed that his personal prejudice was self-evident. The trend of commenters agreeing with him is just selection bias.

There have been many discussions of the classic question, "If you're so smart, why aren't you rich/powerful/happy?" That one might've been amusing, but it wasn't particularly illuminating, due to the lack of intellectual rigor.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
That was snark, not science. Mr. Appleyard conflated EQ with IQ and humorously claimed that his personal prejudice was self-evident. The trend of commenters agreeing with him is just selection bias.

There have been many discussions of the classic question, "If you're so smart, why aren't you rich/powerful/happy?" That one might've been amusing, but it wasn't particularly illuminating, due to the lack of intellectual rigor.

It's a pretty big assumption to think that one with intelligence would desire power and wealth. After all, isn't that what most common folk desire? What makes them think someone so different from them would want the same things?

The simplest way to get to the bottom of this is to see a chart showing all the mensa member's IQ levels and yearly income ranges. But we don't have access to that do we? So it's just a bunch of speculation, but it is interesting to watch these particular individuals who's IQ ranges are in the VERY VERY TOP.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Easy answer, IQ doesn't mean all that much in the real world, it is one tool we can use to achieve success but there are many other tools we can use as well.

The value we place on high IQ is mostly subjective.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Easy answer, IQ doesn't mean all that much in the real world, it is one tool we can use to achieve success but there are many other tools we can use as well.

The value we place on high IQ is mostly subjective.

Good answer, but to what question?

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Maybe they just do not have common sense... This is typical of "intelligent" people (or so I have noticed). Yea, they are "smart" and have high IQs, but a lot of them can come off slow, socially inept, lacking common sense, etc. To me, they are those type of people that if you dropped them off in the middle of nowhere, they would probably die of starvation, etc. High IQ doesn't necessarily mean the person is "intelligent" in my opinion. I think it's a mixture of everything... a nice balance.

Honestly, a lot of intelligent folk that I've met come off as a bunch of idiots.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Maybe they just do not have common sense... This is typical of "intelligent" people (or so I have noticed). Yea, they are "smart" and have high IQs, but a lot of them can come off slow, socially inept, lacking common sense, etc. To me, they are those type of people that if you dropped them off in the middle of nowhere, they would probably die of starvation, etc. High IQ doesn't necessarily mean the person is "intelligent" in my opinion. I think it's a mixture of everything... a nice balance.

Honestly, a lot of intelligent folk that I've met come off as a bunch of idiots.

I don't get it though, how do you recognize their intelligence if they come off as an idiot to you? Wouldn't you just refer to them as an idiot?

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I don't get it though, how do you recognize their intelligence if they come off as an idiot to you? Wouldn't you just refer to them as an idiot?

Nah, they're smart when it comes to academia, building shit like robots or whatever. But they are lacking in a lot of other departments which I think is just as important (or even more so) than textbook nonsense. I've went to a science high school so I've had my share of these types... for four years. The majority of them are just, what's the word... Crazy? Emotionally unstable, socially inept, etc. Sure it's great that you are smart, but what else do you have going for you?

I'm a horrible example, but my IQ is 136 (which isn't all that high, maybe above average) but everyone thinks I'm a pothead who has a short attention span. And I guess that I do come off as a complete jackass the majority of them... Wait, I went off topic. I forgot what I was trying to say :huh: what do I have to do with this? LMFAO nevermind :smile:

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Intelligence does not equal income.

I'm at the very least fairly intelligent... Knowing this fact does not give me any happy thoughts or emotions. Neither does the thought that I could make a lot of money if I finished a difficult study and used my intelligence.

Being able to think about things in general rather then specifics. Knowing that people genuine appreciate me for my entire being instead of my brain capacity. Having no pressure put onto me to achieve anything somebody other then me desires. Those things generally give me more peace of mind then any praise or money could ever do.