• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Smartest in the world work Blue collar jobs

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That MENSA statistic (if true) most likely has fairly simple explination. Successful people with high IQ scores probably have better things to do than pay 50 bucks for a certificate that says "daym, ya sure iz smrt"

Aside from this quote being spot on, there's another important point. IQ doesn't measure intelligence, smarts, cleverness or whatever other adjectives you can think of. Those adjectives do not represent scalar quantities, and are not measured so easily.

What it likely does measure, aside from how good one is at IQ tests, is processing power in a certain abstract area of thought. Not how good you are at that area of abstract thought, but how fast you are.

Intelligence is much more complex than that, and by most definitions, only lightly correlated to (non-internet) IQ scores.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
The ten rules:

Don't think that you are special.
Don't think that you are of the same standing as us.
Don't think that you are smarter than us.
Don't fancy yourself as being better than us.
Don't think that you know more than us.
Don't think that you are more important than us.
Don't think that you are good at anything.
Don't laugh at us.
Don't think that anyone of us cares about you.
Don't think that you can teach us anything.

I think I just saw Ayn Rand's corpse twitch.

I'd like to add a couple of annotations to those rules, just to flesh out my perception of them (they do seem pretty menacing as presented)

Don't think that you are special. - You're just another iteration of the 6.7 billion human beings on the planet. Remember that from time to time, and take some humility in that fact. It's not who you are that is special, it's what you do with the opportunity you have in life.

Don't think that you are of the same standing as us. -
You wouldn't be anywhere without all of our collective effort at raising you. Humans are social animals, therefore, the group in the end is more important than the individual. That being said, the individual truly is important per se - just not so much so that individual desires trump group needs.

Don't think that you are smarter than us. - because like it or not, there are plenty of things that you don't know that one or many of us do know. Everyone's the ignorant one from time to time - it's all in how you handle the situation.

Don't fancy yourself as being better than us. -
because you're not. No one is any better or worse intrinsically than anyone else. We're all complex stacks of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen that managed a neat trick of copying itself. Once again, it's not about who you think you are, it's about what you do

Don't think that you know more than us. -
because buddy, if you think the knowledge you've acquired in your short time on Earth comes close to our collective knowledge that we've put together over the course of history, you're deluding yourself. Don't just think that you know more - prove that the information you have is better than that which we have.

Don't think that you are more important than us. - because you're not. No one's more "important" than anyone else. The most renowned scholar, the most powerful politician, the wealthiest businessman - none of these people would be anywhere close to their current level of luxury without the most common of workers - garbage collectors, sewer attendants, janitors, etc.

Don't think that you are good at anything. - because you can always be better. Once you think you're good at something, you'll rest on your laurels and waste your potential, and sure enough, you'll be surpassed by someone who wants it more than you do. An expert is constantly learning, constantly improving upon a currently-held skill set.

Don't laugh at us. - because you'll be the jerk sometime, too. Laugh at the situation, laugh at the misfortune of it all, but don't laugh at the person like you're better than they are. You'll be knocked down a peg by life soon enough, and you wouldn't want us to laugh at you then, would you?

Don't think that anyone of us cares about you. -
anymore than we do anyone else. As high an opinion you may have of yourself, plenty of people may not have the same estimation of yourself, and for good reason. Care for us, and we will show you the same in return.

Don't think that you can teach us anything.
- just let us learn from you. There is no need to assume a superior attitude toward others in sharing knowledge; it's the knowledge that's important, right?

Everyone's one of us, and everyone's the individual. The ideal is a group that respects the needs of each individual, composed of people who put everyone's priorities above their own. Needless to say, this doesn't exist anywhere in the world.

T

ThatGirl

There are several different reasons this could occur. One thing I think of is in psychology where they set up the test to see how intelligent people would set their goals. They had three targets set up. Easy medium and difficult. The incentive was something like, hit the easy one you get ten dollars, the medium twenty, the hardest thirty. They found most intelligent and successful people would aim for the middle one.

I grew up thinking (and having others think) I was just weird, not smart. I only recently found that out. In my HS days it was a miricule I even graduated. I was more rebelious than anything else. I founds flaws in the system and never understood why I should have to follow the rules.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've heard over 75% of mensa members work blue collar jobs.

Then I've heard of people like Rick Rosner with about 190 IQ who went through periods of living off dog food, and returned to high school 4 times voluntarily lol... and ironically losing the $16,000 question on who wants to be a millionaire, then went on to sue them for the flawed question.

Chris Langan the bouncer for 20 years with a 190-210 IQ, Highest in America. I think he's a farmer now though.
Smartest Man in the World Espouses Virtues of Eugenics - One Man's Blog
I can see why people don't like smart people. It might be that since this guy is supposedly on a level that makes me look retarded that I look at him weird, the weird way that other people often look at me. Or it is possible that they really arn't that smart, I don't really know.

The man with the highest IQ in the world presently is Korean Physicist / Engineer Kim Ung-yong, with a verified IQ of 210. Apparently he felt that he missed out on his whole childhood and was super alienated with no friends at all. So he quit his job at NASA and went back to Korea to join some clubs and try to "fit in".

What do you guy's think? Do they seem "smart"? Or just plain crazy.

I think they're smart. What's the problem here? Just because they don't live up to the American capitalist ideal of success they aren't "smart"? Hey! Maybe they're happy! I can't think of anything smarter than that...

Plus, someone who lives off of dogfood must have had some rotten luck. Bad luck/bad circumstances can affect anyone, no matter how smart they are. That's what I keep trying to remind libertarians.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh yeah, plus the fact that people who are geniuses in one area can actually be completely deficient in other areas of practical knowledge and emotional intelligence. Some people see genius as a sort of disability.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(just wanted to point out how awesome onemortime's post is)

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think they're smart. What's the problem here? Just because they don't live up to the American capitalist ideal of success they aren't "smart"?

I know that dropping phrases like "american capitalist ideal of success" is a chic and fashionably non-conformist thing to do, but having grown up in a communist country, I can safely tell you that being a janitor or a ditch digger wasn't exactly a respectable position there either.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I think they're smart. What's the problem here? Just because they don't live up to the American capitalist ideal of success they aren't "smart"? Hey! Maybe they're happy! I can't think of anything smarter than that...

Plus, someone who lives off of dogfood must have had some rotten luck. Bad luck/bad circumstances can affect anyone, no matter how smart they are. That's what I keep trying to remind libertarians.

Thank you for sharing your opinion, I think some people forgot to really address this. I didn't ask for a logical analysis, but I didn't mind it either, I'm open to hearing all points of views.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
attachment.php

Yes, the group is important.
We're all ignorant sometimes.
We are all part of some group. Yadayadayada.

If you divide my IQ by two, you still end up above mild retardation (60-70).
Same goes for EQ. Anyway, i'm pretty much awesome in most cases.
My sense of direction sucks, Si is non-existent, I am not sympathetic towards people in general. I have favorites.

We all have weaknesses. I just have one hell of a lot fewer than most.
Did I mention that i'm kind of humble?
That would be a lie. I'm realistic.
I know who I am, and I am proud of myself.

Speaking of EQ, onemoretime, that wasn't very tactful of you. ;)
I know, you're an ENTP. And... You won't understand stuff like that even if I explain it to you.

I am not worth more as a human being. I am still just one individual.
I am just criticizing the innate need others seem to have to hold stronger individuals back.
It is like people are afraid of me... And yeah, they should be.
But in the end, the only product of people doing so will be that they're in for a virtual shitstorm with nukes in it. (Wouldn't that be aerosol feces, assuming that the nukes detonate?)

Anyway. Pissing me off only fuels my fire, makes me more inclined to maul others down etc.
I will still achieve world domination, you know :jew:

Spelling errors everywhere... I think... Don't poke at me, i'm down with the fever + coughing like hell, and I have just come home from working a nightshift. -_- Not a good idea, I know... But I just wanted to finish my shit and not cause problems/piss people off. And now i'm off for a week and a half. :)

Ehum. Like anyone would actually care. But, it's my reason for not writing like I usually do... And... Yeah, i'm Swedish.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'll soon be applying for a management post at work. Two of my managers have told me to apply for the job (which is normally a good thing). However, I know that one of my colleagues has already been identified as the favourite to get the positition. She is in close contact with the line manager, does a lot of jobs for her and has a very good working relationship with her. However, in my opinion, the favourite is not all that smart. I know that to even get an interview I'll have to do a lot of research and make an excellent application with a lot of additional information. However, I'm prepared to be disappointed, as I know they're likely to appoint someone that will do as they are told will not question authority.

I was interested to see the YOUTUBE link about the meaning of money posted by INTJ123. I got involved in a prolonged conversation about this topic (amongst others) with an IT technician (a blue collar job) who in probably INTP. We must have talked for over four hours, and he told me some incredible things relating to this subject. He used to write compilers, but had found the job too stressful hence why he now works as a technician. He had written a program that mimicked the financial system which he claimed gave interesting results. A great deal of what he said went straight over my head, and I kept having to ask him to clarify ideas. In my opinion, this guy, although very eccentric, is smarter than the director who is three layers of management above him. However, the director is a very charming person, is better dressed, exudes confidence and is capable of manipulating people.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was interested to see the YOUTUBE link about the meaning of money posted by INTJ123. I got involved in a prolonged conversation about this topic (amongst others) with an IT technician (a blue collar job) who in probably INTP. We must have talked for over four hours, and he told me some incredible things relating to this subject. He used to write compilers, but had found the job too stressful hence why he now works as a technician. He had written a program that mimicked the financial system which he claimed gave interesting results. A great deal of what he said went straight over my head, and I kept having to ask him to clarify ideas. In my opinion, this guy, although very eccentric, is smarter than the director who is three layers of management above him. However, the director is a very charming person, is better dressed, exudes confidence and is capable of manipulating people.

If you are aiming for the best quality of life your IT teccie probably has the right idea.

In more senior possitions often you end up working longer hours in more stressful situations. Hence the increase in money doesn't compensate.

Many city types make money the first part of their careers - then get out the city and have a life.... which personally sounds like a good idea.

If you value climbing the corporate ladder it's money and status
If you value quality of life it's probably people and family

Very few people know what makes them happy... but thats a whole new thread...

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I kind of agree with the guy on the idea of eugenics. It does make sense right?
Productive/healthy people should be selected for breeding. Exterminate the unfit!!!!! :)

j/k

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
That's mean - strapping shaped charges to a dog, while effective, is a rather inhumane way of taking out a tank, don't you think?

Yes, the group is important.
We're all ignorant sometimes.
We are all part of some group. Yadayadayada.

If you divide my IQ by two, you still end up above mild retardation (60-70).
Same goes for EQ. Anyway, i'm pretty much awesome in most cases.
My sense of direction sucks, Si is non-existent, I am not sympathetic towards people in general. I have favorites.

That's nice - there's still ~7 billion of us, you're going to have to put up with that. Much more effective to enjoy what they can offer than to constantly be pissed at their foibles and shortcomings, wouldn't you say?

We all have weaknesses. I just have one hell of a lot fewer than most.
Did I mention that i'm kind of humble?
That would be a lie. I'm realistic.
I know who I am, and I am proud of myself.

Confidence is one thing, arrogance another. No one is saying that you don't have the potential to do many amazing things - we all do. The point is that it's not about who you think you are, it's about the choices you make and the actions you perform in life. Everything else is merely in your head, having no bearing on the objective world.

Speaking of EQ, onemoretime, that wasn't very tactful of you. ;)
I know, you're an ENTP. And... You won't understand stuff like that even if I explain it to you.

Speaking of tact :rolleyes:
If I offended you by offering my commentary on those ten phrases, then I apologize - it wasn't my intention in the least bit. It just caught my interest and I wanted to give my two cents. Everyone's got a right to an opinion, don't they?

I am not worth more as a human being. I am still just one individual.
I am just criticizing the innate need others seem to have to hold stronger individuals back.
It is like people are afraid of me... And yeah, they should be.
But in the end, the only product of people doing so will be that they're in for a virtual shitstorm with nukes in it. (Wouldn't that be aerosol feces, assuming that the nukes detonate?)

It's not strength vs. weakness - it's responding to the demands of those around you. I could be the best businessman in the world, the most convincing and charismatic man you've ever met - and I'll still get nowhere if I refuse to sell anything but typewriters to an area that already has personal computers.

Why have people on their guard constantly around you? Isn't the battle halfway over when their defenses are down?

Anyway. Pissing me off only fuels my fire, makes me more inclined to maul others down etc.
I will still achieve world domination, you know :jew:

Don't worry, I'll have accidentally detonated the doomsday device by then, so just concentrate on Scandinavia for now ;)

Spelling errors everywhere... I think... Don't poke at me, i'm down with the fever + coughing like hell, and I have just come home from working a nightshift. -_- Not a good idea, I know... But I just wanted to finish my shit and not cause problems/piss people off. And now i'm off for a week and a half. :)

Ehum. Like anyone would actually care. But, it's my reason for not writing like I usually do... And... Yeah, i'm Swedish.

Hope you're well rested.

Lurker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
"Smartest in the world work Blue collar jobs"

Hey, this is one of those OMG, REALLY!? threads, isn't it?

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I guess Einstein did work at the post office for a bit.

That's blue collar, right?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

I think this post has the right idea. Why should those with a high IQ seek out a white collar job to begin with? Should we assume that the wisest course of action is to have the highest paying job possible? Low paying jobs often bring more work satisfaction. Perhaps some intelligent people want to work for a Non-Profit which pays almost nothing. Some may enjoy the freedom of working for themselves as say a plumber. People with high IQ are often misanthropic, because they don't relate to the average person, so they might appreciate a job as say a truckdriver where they don't interact with people much.

A person with a high IQ may very well realize that there is no point in keeping up with the Joneses or getting ahead in the rat race. Therefore if they are happier with a blue collar job, then they take the blue collar job.

remixedcat

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I know alot of blue collars that don't even know how to add properly. LOLz.

as well as white collars. not matter what in anything you'll find stupid and smart. just like every area, state, country, planet even. Just like picking with the claw machines... you never know what you're gonna get.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I'm not a genius, though above average significantly is nice, it's not much good for work. It's true.

Top end jobs are all about personality, and making use of economic leverage. Do yeu think bill gates got so insanely rich by making a good product? Uhm. NO. He got rich because he MARKETED the product he HAD excessively well. Now that he's not really calling top shots anymore, and steeve jobs is latching onto the "everyone else other than the hardcore nerds" community, that's quickly disappearing. Marketing is everything, yeur product can be total crap and thrive.

We've many examples of this.

VHS, superfloppies, HD-DVD's (they came out a few months after normal dvd's... notice how it took us almost a decade to transition though), multistate transistors (we haven't even upgraded computers to these... because of marketing).

That being said, let's think about whot we WANT. People want fame, fortune, and glory! They want a statue of themselves, and to be remembered! They want children to live on in their stead, a legacy, and favoured thoughts when they're departed!

Screw that, I'll be dead, whot good is that crap THEN!? I wanna have fun right now!

Seriously, my life style is simple. I don't need a fancy car. I don't need an expencive luxery house. I don't need 2.5 kids and a legacy. Whot I want, is peace of mind, and the ability to relax, and enjoy myself with someone I care about. If I need to work, then my job of choice will be something I enjoy, and that I can CREATE something with, something that I can show off to friends and family, and be able to say "I made this" with pride as they enjoy it.

I don't need, nor want management. It's a ridiculous place to be, I've even turned down a supervisor position despite that it gave better pay (barely $8.50 instead of $8.00... yeah... that won't cover the psychiatrist bills for having to be a supervisor).

In short, I prefer to create stuff, I don't need to be a scientist, I may LIKE things like particle physics and quantum theory... but to really partake of them, yeu can't really view it as a hobby... it requires years of dedication to even get into the field, and THERE ARE NO PHYSICISTS. They work as lab assistants, or as professors, or whotever... but they aren't hired as physicists. Yeur job market is nil, yeur ability to expand when yeu have a new idea is crap all until yeu finish the last one since yeu can't get funding otherwise, and it will literally take up pretty much yeur entire life. Yes the concepts are fun, but to truly go for it? It's a waste of my time. I have better things to do with my life. I have a thousand things I enjoy I want to partake in, and become good at. Having to blow my ENTIRE life on ONE thing? No. It doesn't work that way for me. For some it can, but not for me.

I need variety, I need freedom, and I need a creative outlet. If I don't have these in my job, I don't want the job.

That being said, most 'white collar' jobs require TOTAL DEDICATION of yeur entire life. They aren't the "9-to-5" run of the mill stuff, they're the "90+ hour work week with no overtime because of salary". These are not positions I want, and most smart people have probably got this figured out.

Doctors, professional athletes, thespians, CEO's, sciences... these are things which chew through yeur life like yeu can't believe. Yeu have to eat and breathe the job. Yeu ARE the job. Very rare do these jobs provide anything short of it.

If yeu are single minded, then yeah, it's great. If not, yeu want to have the freedom to explore many different avenues of entertainment and thought as yeu please.

I can never do these things, they would tear me apart and I'd end up like my parents, worshipping the almighty dollar with no regard for my life otherwise. I would exist solely for the purpose of working, my life would be WORK, I would have no mind of my own, no personality of my own, I would just be a job that defined who I was.

If someone asked me "who are yeu?" I wouldn't have an answer other than my profession.

I can't live like this, and while top end intelligent people may not ALL share this ideal... those who do are likely intelligent enough to make up their own minds, and live their own dreams, not the 'american dream'. Who cares about the american dream? Those without enough imagination to make up their own. I want to live comfortably, and once I have that... I'm pretty much done. I have no incentive to continue. Zero drive to get more. My life is complete as long as my requirements are sated.

Everything else, is an intellectual persuit, which I can get via the net, or other relatively cheap sources. Debating, puzzles, game mechanics, these are things I love to play with. They cost virtually nil to access. Why do I need a million dollars a year? Oh yeah, I don't. All that does it let me but more stuff. Which I wouldn't use. I have no use for a mansion, I'd have no use for the space, it'd be a pain to clean, and I'd have to pay even more to hire a maid to do it for me since otherwise I'd have just wasted all my life cleaning, so whot good did the monies do me?

I view money as whot it really is... a tool to do whot yeu want with yeur life. No monies, can't do it. Yes monies? Then yeu can. If yeu spent yeur entire life working, and never got the chance to DO anything with yeur life other than a job yeu don't enjoy, then all the monies in the world mean NOTHING. It failed the one thing it was supposed to do.

So yeah... those who aren't interested in spending their entire lives working, but are intelligent, will probably notice that and avoid it.

Those who love blowing their entire lives perfecting a single task, to an obsessive point that they WANT their entire life to be that one job? Then they do quite well in those positions with a bit of brains. But having more brains past that point really won't get them any farther, once yeu're up to a certain point, it's all boiled down to social connections, personality, aggressiveness, and marketing. Yeur brains can have minor benefit here, but it's often a tradeoff, more brains means less of these others, which are more important past that point. If yeu don't trade off though, yeu're fine. If yeu do, yeu may actually find yeurself slightly lower on the ladder oddly.

In any case, do whot yeu want to do. Yeur goals are yeur own. Seek them out, and do whot yeu must to achieve it. Don't chastise others for attaining their dreams just because their dream is not yeur own.

chegra

MBTI Type
INFJ
I dont believe in absolute intelligence. I will go with Garners view of multiple intelligence.

Clearly some people we measure with High IQ may be gifted at Logic and spatial intelligence
but tend to fall down in interpersonal and intrapersonal intelligence.

remixedcat

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
katsuni you have some very good points.

I live my live minimalistic and I feel much better. I don't burn myself out on the things that some idiots place so much importance on like having luxury things (witch IMO are just overhyped average products with good marketing like an ipod or macbook) I use a sansa fuze media player LOLz.

Most people think they have to have nice things to gain approval...

look if the person you are trying to get to be your friend would not like you if you did not have nice luxury things would they even be worth being friends with if they would hate you without those things? Totally not worth it.

It's also not worth it slaving in an office for 60+Hrs/wk and living in a rathole place just to be in a hip area and gain approval from some yuppie scum who could turn on you if you don't have the latest iphone or louis viutton handbag or chanel sunglasses.

or would you rather live in a decent area, work 40-/hrs a week, have money left over and genuine freinds who do not judge you for what you wear, drive, or listen to your tunes on? I pick the latter!