• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Connections and chemistry

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This has probably been touched on in some prior thread, but something dawned on me recently. Since learning about MBTI, I've realized that the people that I have personally experienced the best chemistry with or who I have "connected with" the best are obviously other N-types (mostly NT's with some NF's mixed in), but what I realized recently was that the people I have especially connected with are the 4 types that, like me, exhibit "extroverted intuition" as either their primary or secondary trait (meaning that extroverted intuition is the primary way in which they extrovert themselves). INTP, ENTP, INFP, and ENFP are the 4 types I have had the best connections with, followed by the other 4 N-types.

For those that are well versed in this stuff, is this usually the case? Do you find this to be true as well? Is it because those who extrovert intuition are able to get together and communicate in the same fashion with one another? I wonder if it follows that ENTJ's and INTJ's would experience this same thing - maybe they even "connect" more with ESTJ's and ISTJ's (because of the shared Te) than they do with INTP's/ENTP's.

Questions:
1. Whatever type you are, do you find that your best connections and chemistry are with types that exhibit the same extroverted function as you?
2. To ENTJ's and INTJ's specifically: Do you find that you have a stronger connection/smoother conversation with each other than you do with, say, INTP's and ENTP's? Is our Ne sometimes a little over the top or hard to connect with?

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
1. No, at least not to a large extend.
2. I'm not an ENTJ or INTJ.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Questions:
1. Do you find that your best connections and chemistry are with types that exhibit the same extroverted function as you?
2. Do you ENTJ's and INTJ's find that you have a stronger connection/smoother conversation with each other than you do with, say, INTP's and ENTP's? Is our Ne sometimes a little over the top or hard to connect with?

1. In terms of initial chemistry. Like, first time meeting chemistry. Yeah I suppose. Easy to connect to people that are similar in extravertedness ofcourse. But in terms of lasting or actual interesting chemistry. The introverted parts of people are much more interesting. So, long story short, not really.

2. Do I think ENTJ's and INTJ's blah blah? Or Do I, as an ENTJ or INTJ, think?
My personal view on the case is that I seem to have plenty strong connections to some ENTP people I know. Most notably probably my ENTP brother. At the very least, nothing seems lacking so if ENTJ's and INTJ's have stronger conversation, I can't really say, INTP and ENTP is strong enough as it is.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Questions:
1. Whatever type you are, do you find that your best connections and chemistry are with types that exhibit the same extroverted function as you?

Yes I think S types drive me nuts because I have to work too hard to explain myself - and a fair bit of time I have to work to hard.... Not always been that way, but more recently weathr consiously or not I've been more attracted to N's

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
2. To ENTJ's and INTJ's specifically: Do you find that you have a stronger connection/smoother conversation with each other than you do with, say, INTP's and ENTP's? Is our Ne sometimes a little over the top or hard to connect with?

I think you should separate ease of communication and connection and chemistry.

1. There's definitely a soothing quality to talking to other Te users. Some expressed ESTJs I have great difficulty connecting with, though. ISTJs are fine and other NTJs are very easy to communicate with.

2. Depends...there's familiarity with all NTs...a sense of freedom. It really depends on the environment...for example I think I'd to better with ENTJs in a work environment, but better with INTPs outside of it. Can't really pick NTJ over INT...possibly other INTJs and ENTPs would be the most consistently easy to communicate with. I don't know that many ENTs, though. Your Ne is cool in my book - Ti is much harder to deal with.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Your Ne is cool in my book - Ti is much harder to deal with.

How do you find Ti hard to deal with? What do you notice about it in us INTP's and how does it frustrated you? Is it the lack of action and just that we "think" excessively, sometimes without doing much? Or is it something else altogether?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ti is jumpy, and although things may smell of roses in our mind. The external appearance of Ti and thus the interpretation thereof, does not transfer that scent with it.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
How do you find Ti hard to deal with? What do you notice about it in us INTP's and how does it frustrated you? Is it the lack of action and just that we "think" excessively, sometimes without doing much? Or is it something else altogether?

It's the way you think that's very different. Not lack of action, just the way of processing information. It can make you into a "difficult" person.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's the way you think that's very different. Not lack of action, just the way of processing information. It can make you into a "difficult" person.

We love to challenge, not just to be difficult. But to expand upon our own thoughts. An unfortunate side-effect. :smile:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Like you, aside from INTPs, which I would immediately connect to as soon as I met them (and this was before I realized what MBTI was... I just knew that I had found a mental kin)... yes, it was all the Ne types I'd click with almost immediately: INTP, ENTP, INFP, and ENFP.

ENFPs were the ones I'd either click with really well (because we were interfacing through Ne) or suddenly I'd get into an all-out-verbal fisticuffs with because we dropped into the Ti vs Fi thing and I crossed their values in some way and they'd leap out swinging... so I grew more wary of them. Ne people "play" together really really well, and there's a lot of back and forth and springboarding all over the place, it's very interactive and very stimulating mentally and emotionally.

Ironically, while I can get along with ISTPs, it tends to not be as good a fit; the rational approach is similar, but their data pool is concrete and mine is not, so we'd end up with different answers and responses to things.

The other category I can interface with decently at this stage of my life is Fe people -- mainly the xNFJ crowd and then the xSFJ crowd. Again, it's my "other" main extroverted function I learned how to use.

As the counter answer, I actually interface with all the people in #1 above better than I do with TJs. The Te thing is just not one of my strong skills and I tend to feel like things are disjointed and cut off at the knees -- when I try to "play around" and joke in whimsical ways, they keep trying to get their hands on my flighty little Ne and squeeze something practical/useful out of it rather than playing along.

My boss in INTJ and we used to conflict with each other early on. My Ne approach to things really confounded him, he just always wanted to accomplish tasks and get things anchored in (he's pretty hefty with his Te, he enjoys using it), and he was constantly trying to nail my feet into the floor and get me to make clear concise statements and commitments... and if I ever went there, it was more a precise but abstracted statement about the nature of something. I'm glad we were able to work through it and learn how to deal with each other.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
You know you're an INTP when you saw this thread and thought this was a discussion about how the natural science known as chemistry connects with other fields and concepts.

*saves lecture about baryons for another day*
</sigh>

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know you're an INTP when you saw this thread and thought this was a discussion about how the natural science known as chemistry connects with other fields and concepts.

*saves lecture about baryons for another day*
</sigh>

I was thinking that before I clicked on it.

But you're not entirely right.

You know you're an INTP when you saw this thread, thought it was a discussions about how the natural science known as chemistry connects with other fields and concepts, but was sorely dissappointed upon finding out this was not the case. *cries*

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I was thinking that before I clicked on it.

But you're not entirely right.

You know you're an INTP when you saw this thread, thought it was a discussions about how the natural science known as chemistry connects with other fields and concepts, but was sorely dissappointed upon finding out this was not the case. *cries*
:cry:
I try not to show emotion.