• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] intps and crappy name memory

Does your name momery suck?

• very much

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • yes

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • little

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • no

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • im not intp

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Others have the same problem? My name memory sucks so hard that sometimes i forgot peoples names that i have seen 10+ times and knew for year or so, but peoples names that iv known for long i only forgot temporarily. Usually i forgot peoples names instantly after they say it, but some names i remember instatly.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Others have the same problem? My name memory sucks so hard that sometimes i forgot peoples names that i have seen 10+ times and knew for year or so, but peoples names that iv known for long i only forgot temporarily. Usually i forgot peoples names instantly after they say it, but some names i remember instatly.

I think it's a NT issue, know several with this issue...

A really important one to remeber ... the name of the girl you are sleeping with :D

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think it's a NT issue, know several with this issue...

A really important one to remeber ... the name of the girl you are sleeping with :D

Personally, I suck at remembering names. Even some faces are hard for me to recognize. Some people just seem to not register in my head, no matter how many times I met them. Anyway, my INTP ex has the same problem with names.

Don't bother remembering the name of the person you're sleeping with. What you need to remember is their phone number, condom and to wash your dong. I always scream 37 when I climax anyway. No need for names. :coffee:

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, I have trouble with names and sometimes remembering someone at all. And they will approach me as if we were really close friends :shock:

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, I have always had problems being approached by people I swear I've never seen before, yet who behave as if we're the best of friends and seem to know a fair amount about me.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
very, very poor memory in general.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Yes, my name "momery" sucks, but I'm really good at recognizing faces.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interest is also an issue. But I voted yes.

In general I'm not good at remembering peoples names. But when I know, upon hearing the name, that I will need it in the future or the name is somehow important. Then I don't have trouble remembering it.

But when I am like, yeah, your name doesn't mean much to me. Then I basicly forget it very fast.

I'm good at remembering faces of adult people but I suck at remembering faces of children. :p

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Yes I have the same problem (actually its not my problem its societies problem for putting too much emphasis on the significance of people’s names…whats the big deal it is totally arbitrary…a rose by any other name and all that…same thing for spelling and grammar.:huh: I care not if someone remembers my name, tell me one of the many things I did or said which was of great significance then I will be complemented. Forget the name almost immediately after hearing it. What is worse is that I put up a big uncomfortable charade of pretending like I have not forgotten the person’s name.

All during high school and college (and even today) went around calling people "Dude" or avoiding situations where it is expected to call people by their name.

Girls I bring home or date? Usually use terms of endearment baby, love, honey, pumpkin... (maybe in the morning I will say time to go Dude. :hug:)

I would like to say, I wish the polls would match the exact wording of the issue/thread name. I have an outstanding memory in other areas. Can't remember where I put my keys but can remember some event that happened when I was 3 years old in detail. I look and some obscure scene on a tv movie (like a closet) and I immediately know what movie it is. Same with ideas and to a lesser degree philosophy and religion.

notsweetynice

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Not being able to learn names easily and faces is a clear sign that one shouldn't be in a people profession. People just love being recognized and can be downright perturbed if they aren't.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Dratticus! Spamtar halfway beat me to whot I was going to say XD

In any case, I was GOING to say... names I do not remember either, though entp not intp. It's a problem in that I remember via understanding, not memorization. To help further matters, I don't really put any emphasis in names... at least not given names.

Seriously, I went for like 3 years with on BF and i could never remember his name. EVER. I go by whot I identify with someone as, if they go by say... an online name or something, then I tend to associate that with them, as it's something of their choosing to represent themselves.

If yeu say "well my REAL name is bob", who cares? Yeur parents named yeu bob BEFORE YEU WERE BORN. They probably had a name chosen for their girl or boy, and it has ZERO relevance on who yeu are, it has nothing to do with yeu, they didn't know yeu, and would've given yeu the name regardless. As such, I have no real care for names, because they're usually the same few bland ones anyway, and they have no relation to the person themselves.

As such, I went thorugh several years of my life changing my name constantly to suit whot I felt was most accurate. To the point I forgot my own name at one point. After that, I figure I have free reign, if I forget yeur name, don't think yeu're anything special, it happens to me for everyone, regardless of who it is XD

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Dratticus! Spamtar halfway beat me to whot I was going to say XD

In any case, I was GOING to say...

Tah ha, Katsuni I knew you were going to say that part so I intentionally beat you to the chase:party:
Seriously, I know what you are saying about internet handles being more memorable than real names. For illustration I get a PM from someone with the message board handle of SnicKerFritz, the say BTW my real name is Lisa bla bla bla..... Fine but to me your name is SnicKerFritz. If we talk on the phone or meet in public your still SnicKerFritz...unless you are wearing a nametag that says Lisa your SnicKerFritz.
What I really like to is choose the name for someone that I just meet then I will remember it.
(Friend: Let me introduce you to a real you lady her name is Lisa.
Lisa: Hi, I heard so much about you.
Me: I think I will call you Snickerfritz. Ok. Snickerfritz will be my pet name for you for the next 10 no, make it 20 years...
Lisa: I think I would rather just go by Lisa.
Me: Note this day in your diary as the first day met me Snickerfritz...Gotta go now Fritzy because see my friend Bomber coming through the door and he looks upset...
Lisa: What a jerk; I think I’m in love...:wubbie:

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I agree. Names are so arbitrary-- it's like, what are the properties of the name "Susan" that correlate with Susan? None. Except maybe that it indicates she's white XD

But a lot of NTs I talk to say they have the same problem. I think if you're a "people person," maybe not a rational type, then it's way easier for you to remember because it's important to you.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It's not only peoples' names I'm bad with, but with my friends' lives in general. I just forget nearly everything about them. To the point where they've said something about it, and I apologize because there really is no excuse. I've asked my best friend what his AIM icon is about 10 times, and I still cannot remember. It's terrible. Rachelinpa says it's why I have so few friends, and she's exactly right.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not only peoples' names I'm bad with, but with my friends' lives in general. I just forget nearly everything about them. To the point where they've said something about it, and I apologize because there really is not excuse. I've asked my best friend what his AIM icon is about 10 times, and I still cannot remember. It's terrible. Rachelinpa says it's why I have so few friends, and she's exactly right.

It almost sounds like you wish you had more friends. You do know that more friends means more needed to remember?

My friends have low expectations, just the way I like it.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It almost sounds like you wish you had more friends. You do know that more friends means more needed to remember?

My friends have low expectations, just the way I like it.

Actually I don't, I think I have too many people to keep track of as it is. It stems from being generally apathetic on a personal level, and only caring for the stimulating interaction and conversation, which I am aware is extremely selfish.