• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] intps and crappy name memory

Does your name momery suck?

• very much

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • yes

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • little

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • no

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • im not intp

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I've got a really crap name memory. As some other's said, numbers are way easier to remember. If I redo a test, I'm likely to remember the answers when I see the questions. If I meet someone again, I often have zero clues what their name starts with even. I remember 10 digit phone numbers straight off also, so my memory isn't bad in general.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Heh, I forgot my PIN code once after somebody started talking about PIN codes in general and I started thinking what mine was. Up until that point the typing just came natural and subconscious.

I hear ya. One thing I notice about myself is, whenever I try to recall a phone number or my PIN, I do the pattern in the air with my fingers. That makes it a lot easier to remember.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Name memory is difficult because there is no obvious connection of names to people. Name selection is rather arbitrary and there is no real reason for why people are named what they are. Two Sarah's or Haley's could have nothing in common but their names. And yet people put quite a bit of stock in their names and can get offended if you don't remember theirs.

INTPs can find it more difficult than other types, because we tend to commit odd esoteric things to memory and often memorize very little while rely on figuring other things out on the fly using logical connections. With names we can't do that.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't care about what you're saying. F-types, especially ENFPs care too much about everything! Care to respond? :smoke:

But...I...uh.... :( OK, you're probably riiiiiight.

I can't put up an argument to this.

Only that Ts CARE TOO LITTLE!! :devil:

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I was teasing.

It's too late, the damage has been done.

dawson-crying.jpg

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
:devil:
So true - besides, numbers are easier to remember anyway, right?

Me too. Just today someone greeted me in a friendly manner, also saying my name! I'm still trying to figure out who the hell he was.

But I have been working on my people-memory for a while and it has improved, so now I tend to remember "new" people and their names.
I have noticed visualising the name helps me, i.e. spelling it on the "mental screen" (I am an extremely visual thinker, so I'm kind of using that strength).
Also - just repeating the name helps to memorise it, too. When someone says their name, use it in a few sentences. People like to hear their names, they won't mind, unless you really really over-do it, but I suppose everyone is smart enough not to do it anyway :)

Yeah, I do that as well. What also works is making a small mental recap of the name a few minutes after you met the person, and again a few minutes later.

I was teasing.

Type has nothing to do with how much you care.

Actually I was implying that I didn't generally care about things, but forums are hard to get nuances in language across.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
If you forget a womans name just call her "Ma'am". Women love to be called that...especially if they are in their 20s or 30s...shows respect.:jew:

Nowheres true at all, I've known a great number of women who believe being called "Ma'am" indicates being old, and they take it as a direct insult >.>;;

People will take anything out of context as an insult it seems. I stopped caring, if they refuse to accept my attempts to be nice, then that's their problem.

I may also note I call almost everyone "man". "thanks, man", even when I was at work in a call center I did that constantly XD Even to female customers. The odd part is, people didn't really mind at all, they found it endearing for some odd reason. Yeu have noooooooo clue how many times I was told I was highly professional... yet I highly disagree because I don't act it in the slightest >.>;

But if it makes people happy then sure. Whotever works. I think alot of it's dependant upon tone and how it's stated. Inflection in the voice goes a long way, far moreso than the terms themselves. Unless that individual WANTS to start a fight, then yeu really can't stop it no matter whot yeu do.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Nowheres true at all, I've known a great number of women who believe being called "Ma'am" indicates being old, and they take it as a direct insult >.>;;.

You got me Katsuni; Ma'am suggestion was a bit of tongue in cheek inside joke with myself/disinformation. I remember talking to a woman in line at a store. The checkout woman said "that will be $28.34 Ma'am". The woman said "Ma'am! MA'AM! THAT MAKES ME SOUND OLD!" the checkout woman responded "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean that, I would say you are no older than 28 years old." Whereby the lady responded in dread "28! I am 23!" I couldn't help laughing to myself as the woman in fact did look like she was in her early 30s.

I think Katsuni also hit the nail on the head about tone. Tonality makes the world of difference. For example think about saying the worst things possible to a friendly dog, but doing it in a friendly and caring tone. The dog will appreciate it regardless because of the tone. Therefore a positive, caring individual tone, preferably with reinforcing eye contact (maybe even w kino) will supplement a pronoun/endearment/general reference. For example "Dude! You are totally a unique individual" (with sincere and direct tone completely absent of sarcasm).

As an NT I have had to learn to add these personal touches to supplement my name forgetting and my apparent perception by others as being aloof.

Last edited:

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Women shall henceforth be referred to as 'gal' or 'gals.'

It has been decreed.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Not an INTP, but I'm horrible with names. The only time I remember strangers that I come in contact with on a semi-regular basis is with nicknames. e.g. Wheelchair lady

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
Not an INTP, but I'm horrible with names. The only time I remember strangers that I come in contact with on a semi-regular basis is with nicknames. e.g. Wheelchair lady

LOL, you must be on really casual terms if she's cool with this (do you call her that or just smile knowingly when you see her?)

MBTI Type
INxJ
LOL, you must be on really casual terms if she's cool with this (do you call her that or just smile knowingly when you see her?)

:D It's just in my mental rolodex. I will call the stranger by their nickname in conversation with a friend or acquaintance that also knows the stranger. At least, I've learned not to call them a nickname to their face after making the mistake a couple times. Apparently, people think my nicknames are rude.

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP
:D It's just in my mental rolodex. I will call the stranger by their nickname in conversation with a friend or acquaintance that also knows the stranger. At least, I've learned not to call them a nickname to their face after making the mistake a couple times. Apparently, people think my nicknames are rude.

Come on, woman + wheelchair = wheelchair woman. Perfectly reasonable.

Somewhat related: there was a girl in my apartment whose name I didn't know, but she was wearing an eye patch and a corset-looking shirt. So I was like "hey pirate girl" and she was like :mellow: "I have to wear an eye patch." That was awkward.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Not INTP.

I have exactly the same problem. I was describing my students to the teacher who's due to take over that group... Apparently, she thinks I shouldn't mentally refer to them as "stupid", "hopeless", "clueless", "frustrated", "pretends to be smart", "slow but tries", "the only white one in the group" and "the chem student".

I don't call them that to their face though. They have nametags on their labcoats which I check when I need to talk to them.

MBTI Type
INxJ

Somewhat related: there was a girl in my apartment whose name I didn't know, but she was wearing an eye patch and a corset-looking shirt. So I was like "hey pirate girl" and she was like :mellow: "I have to wear an eye patch." That was awkward.

lol Amazing.

Not INTP.

I have exactly the same problem. I was describing my students to the teacher who's due to take over that group... Apparently, she thinks I shouldn't mentally refer to them as "stupid", "hopeless", "clueless", "frustrated", "pretends to be smart", "slow but tries", "the only white one in the group" and "the chem student".

I don't call them that to their face though. They have nametags on their labcoats which I check when I need to talk to them.

It's easier to remember people for things that pop out at you.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?

See, I'd just keep running with it. I'd be like well... yeah, but yeu can GET AWAY with looking like a pirate now! So why not just make use of it? No point being bleeeeeh I has an eyepatch ;_; Yeu should go around yelling YARRRR! all day long.

People are so boring.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Not an INTP- I have the same problem.

If someone introduces me to another person, right then and there, their names slips right through my mind, and I automatically forget. Not unless if their name stands out. A foreign name.. or one that's unique/kool/has meaning to it.

Either that, or I'll attribute a person to a name that they remind me of.. like "Martha" or "Mark," "Veronica.." when it's not even their names.. "Hi Veronica." No- my name is Jessica. Oh- but I thought.. nevermind.. " you just look like a Veronica for some reason.. Yeah- that is embarrassing. :doh:

I think it's worse when the other remember your name, but you don't. While engaging in a long conversation you try to jog up a memory about what their name is and in the end, they say your name, you just go, "It was nice seeing you again.. see you later." Awkward... I'm better at long-term memory than short-term. :smile: