• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs being too critical.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't understand how them not liking the book or criticizing it in any way affects how you like it.

What's so hard about coming back with your own opinions about the book and expressing them in class. I seriously doubt they're gonna jump you after class - unless the AP kids have drastically changed since I was one - and even if they do, it's nothing that a tube sock stuffed with rolls of quarters can't handle....

You're right, actually. I don't really know why I'm complaining about it.

But when their criticism gets a little too carried away and disrespectful, I become offended, or just annoyed.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think it deserves a little bit more reverence. Making racial jokes about the book and ranting on how poorly written it was (which is an opinion) is not just stemmed from a lack of understanding, but more as a display of ignorance.

If that's what they're doing, you should definitely consult someone in a position of authority and have them do something about it. Probably your teacher, but as it seems that he/she doesn't have a firm grip on the class (allowing such "jokes" in the first place), you could probably talk to an administrator of some sort. That is ridiculous behavior to be allowed in any class, much less one that is AP. And allowing it does affect the learning experience of other students in a negative way.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
No.

Stop assuming things when you don't know.

:yim_rolling_on_the_

If that's what they're doing, you should definitely consult someone in a position of authority and have them do something about it. Probably your teacher, but as it seems that he/she doesn't have a firm grip on the class (allowing such comments in the first place), you could probably talk to an administrator of some sort. That is ridiculous behavior to be allowed in any class, much less one that is AP.
:yes: What we have here is a case of misdirected anger :smoke:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, but it isn't the first day of a new school. We were all in the same class together sophomore year for Honors English.

I loved To Kill a Mockingbird, it is definitely something that a lot of people could find inspiring.

I want to turn it into a learning experience. That's apart of the whole grand experience.

Thanks. :)

You know - they are a year older... more hormonal... :D

Learn to argue your point - weirdly enough it will help long run - it assist you formulate a robust argument to support your opinion. It will also hopefully encourage you to be braver to voice your opinions - maybe not today, but later in the year... You can turn a possibly negative situation into a possitive one by learning life skills as well as English comp

Anyways enough, you are being bombarded...

Hope it gets better

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Discussing and picking things a part is of the main things NTs use to learn. Kids do have a habit of going overboard with anything they're individually prone to, though.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You're right, actually. I don't really know why I'm complaining about it.

But when their criticism gets a little too carried away and disrespectful, I become offended, or just annoyed.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with complaints :) -- it reveals your inner feelings on the matter & shines light as to how you should handle them --, however, moping around is the worst means of responding to negativity.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think it deserves a little bit more reverence. Making racial jokes about the book and ranting on how poorly written it was (which is an opinion) is not just stemmed from a lack of understanding, but more as a display of ignorance.
Right, but aren't they two sides of the same coin? I agree with you, but I'm saying instead of looking at it as intimidating/ poor behavior, look at it as you have an insight into the human mind that they demonstrably lack, and therefore you have a deeper understanding of the novel.

In your position, I would validate their viewpoints and then counter. "You may feel the book was poorly written, but I don't think that's what's important. What is important is what it tells us about the character, the author and ourselves. The book was written the way it was for a reason. I ask, would it be the same book; would it get its point across as well as it does if it had been written differently?"

Show them some NF compassion and understanding. Throw 'em for a loop ;)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No.

Stop assuming things when you don't know.

:rofl1:

Lol, now who's being critical? You're being very critical about the posts in this thread that are not to your liking, ironically. I wasn't assuming, just offering a possible explanation. And even if I was...you're assuming you know their type as well. If you're saying things like that in the class, no wonder it's full of critiques.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Right, but aren't they two sides of the same coin? I agree with you, but I'm saying instead of looking at it as intimidating/ poor behavior, look at it as you have an insight into the human mind that they demonstrably lack, and therefore you have a deeper understanding of the novel.

In your position, I would validate their viewpoints and then counter. "You may feel the book was poorly written, but I don't think that's what's important. What is important is what it tells us about the character, the author and ourselves. The book was written the way it was for a reason. I ask, would it be the same book; would it get its point across as well as it does if it had been written differently?"

I couldn't agree more. :yes:

The high chances are that they missed the whole point of the story. Most novels are meant to be read with the time period and the author's intent in mind.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
intuition-less NTs for the win.
:zzz:
seriously

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The racism definitely needs nixed. There's no way that's okay.

The other stuff, really, classes like that are a refuge for the intellectual kids. It's like their little tree house where they can do the equivalent of "girls have cooties" for big kids instead of little boys. Yes, they will be in for a rude awakening in some of their college classes and IRL, but right now they are a few over-sized brains swimming around in a sea of gonads. Some of them can't even speak freely at home. It's annoying as heck, but they need their tree house, too.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
They don't sound terribly intellectual to me.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Lol, now who's being critical? You're being very critical about the posts in this thread that are not to your liking, ironically.
Ehhh. Idk about that. Critical yes, but some posters here have made it apparent that they're not in this thread for constructive criticism, and when you feel even a bit out of your element or are talking about having felt so, baiting is... intensely irritating, and I get the feeling that that's exactly why it's being done.