• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs being too critical.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Ah, the woes of the human perception. ;)

:yes: First step: Beware of the ones calling themselves such, for they often betray themselves by being quick to anger when you don't see things their way.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ehhh. Idk about that. Critical yes, but some posters here have made it apparent that they're not in this thread for constructive criticism, and when you feel even a bit out of your element or are talking about having felt so, baiting is... intensely irritating, and I get the feeling that that's exactly why it's being done.

So we agree. He is being critical. I wasn't baiting him. Thus there was no reason for that response, except to make him look like an idiot because he was telling me not to do exactly what he is doing. Twice, actually. Assuming that I was assuming and telling me not to assume. As for the rest of the responses, they are mainly centered around the question: How do you know they are NTs? Seems like a legit question to me. If he thought his post would go unquestioned, well he clearly isn't learning much from his class.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Have you ever thought a book you've read for class was poorly written?

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
So we agree. He is being critical. I wasn't baiting him. Thus there was no reason for that response, except to make him look like an idiot because he was telling me not to do exactly what he is doing. As for the rest of the responses, they are mainly centered around the question: How do you know they are NTs? Seems like a legit question to me. If he thought his post would go unquestioned, well he clearly isn't learning much from his class.
I wasn't asserting that you were baiting him.

It is a legit question, but much like the questions and comments of his classmates, it misses the point.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:yes: First step: Beware of the ones calling themselves such, for they often betray themselves by being quick to anger when you don't see things their way.

In a way, their foolishness provides a hearty form of entertainment for the rest of us. :laugh:

Popcorn? :popc1:

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
It is a legit question, but much like the questions and comments of his classmates, it misses the point.
And his thread title and insistence on that point as well.

In a way, their foolishness provides a hearty form of entertainment for the rest of us. :laugh:

Popcorn? :popc1:

And beer :cheers:

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That may be true, but responding in such a manner isn't going to help any. If anything, it will bring more criticism.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
And by his thread title and insistence on that point as well.
Oh, don't judge a book by its cover.

If you don't like people stereotyping NT's as critical make a thread about how NF's are too sensitive.
That may be true, but responding in such a manner isn't going to help any. If anything, it will bring more criticism.
Right, and that's why he's made the right move by not responding, leaving us here to keep discussing the discussion.

Speaking of which...

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Have you ever thought a book you've read for class was poorly written?

Yes, a few.

[Back to the topic: As long as the person can solidly support their position (while remaining attentive to the novel's time period and genre), then they have some validity to their case. However, these opinions sound like they were derived from a 21st century arrogance.]

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Oh, don't judge a book by its cover.

If you don't like people stereotyping NT's as critical make a threat about how NF's are too sensitive.

I know better than that.
This is not about stereotyping as much as it is blind and willful scapegoating instead of addressing the problem sensibly.

Once he had hastily drawn his scapegoat, he wasted energy lambasting this creation, working himself up into a frenzy instead of stepping back to think:
1. hey, these guys are jerks, no NT ways about it. There's nothing "NT" about trashing a book you're studying without taking more than a cursory look at it, or lacking insight into the human mind :rolli:. And there's nothing NT about slinging racial slurs around. This is BS.
2. Maybe I should should prepare my thoughts so I can respond well to useful criticism. That way I can get better at this and perhaps make them think
3. Maybe the teacher needs to get in control of a class of rowdy, cocky teenagers who sideline discussion with useless criticism

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

there are many themes and topics that individuals can take from an experience, and literature is no different. the idea that a book is only about *one thing* is ridiculous, especially since there's going to be as many interpretations as there are readers. this is why people can read literature from various viewpoints (ie feminism, deconstructionism, marxism, etc ) find all kind of things to support their viewpoint.

i think the assumption the OP made is that we would immediately understand the point, just based on the limited and seemingly subjective data we were given. If that's how the OP discusses things in the lit class AND the class is comprised largely of NTs I can see where problems would come in .I think many NTs would find it very very difficult to bite their tongues and not rip that point to shreds.

Of course it sucks that the OP now dreads going to class, but honestly I would say get used to that stuff now, especially if you want to go on to college and graduate work. Learning how to coherently back up your ideas when your 15/16 is greatly beneficial when you're working on a doctoral thesis years later.

Last edited:

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I know better than that.
This is not about stereotyping as much as it is blind and willful scapegoating.
Wrong again. The point of this thread would be the same, whether or not NT had even been mentioned.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yes, a few.

[Back to the topic: As long as the person can solidly support their position (while remaining attentive to the novel's time period and genre), then they have some validity to their case. However, these opinions sound like they were derived from a 21st century arrogance.]

A lot of English lit teachers act like every line of any literature by someone in the curriculum is gold. Why are we expected to work with this assumption without proof?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
They don't sound terribly intellectual to me.
This is high school, so I'm speaking comparatively. :laugh:

I just know that I have an INTJ daughter in AP classes and she's totally capable, being allowed to speak freely, of ripping all manner of things and people apart for entertainment purposes. It's more an expression of frustration and a release from that frustration than it is something that should be taken to heart, even if the people doing the venting believe they are being perfectly rational, etc.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Wrong again. The point of this thread would be the same, whether or not NT had even been mentioned.
Keep up here: my response was not about the point of the thread, it was this comment of yours:

If you don't like people stereotyping NT's as critical

Many of us have stated precisely that his problem isn't about NTs.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
i think the assumption the OP made is that we would immediately understand the point, just based on the limited and seemingly subjective data we were given. If that's how the OP discusses things in the lit class AND the class is comprised largely of NTs I can see where problems would come in .I think many NTs would it very very difficult to bite their tongues and not rip that point to shreds.
*Shrug* He's a teenager, give 'im some slack.

And if he's anything like this NFP, he bit his tongue in class, which is why he still had plenty of steam to put into the OP.
Keep up here: my response was not about the point of the thread, it was this comment of yours:

Many of us have stated precisely that his problem isn't about NTs.
Yeah.

I guess I was distracted by your rude and obnoxious tone.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A lot of English lit teachers act like every line of any literature by someone in the curriculum is gold. Why are we expected to work with this assumption without proof?

You shouldn't, and I would question their assumptions immediately. If they are not willing to consider your arguments, then they are not worth any student's time. Isn't their purpose is to guide their students into understanding the subject? (Of course, some do not sufficiently fulfill this category.)

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I guess I was distracted by your rude and obnoxious tone.

Oh? This:
I know better than [to start a thread complaining about NFs' being oversensitive].
This is not about stereotyping as much as it is blind and willful scapegoating.

was rude and obnoxious?

Let me borrow some of your kind of obnoxiousness:
"wrong again"

I'm not even going to bother dissecting the "again" part of your comment.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know better than that.
This is not about stereotyping as much as it is blind and willful scapegoating instead of addressing the problem sensibly.

Once he had hastily drawn his scapegoat, he wasted energy lambasting this creation, working himself up into a frenzy instead of stepping back to think:
1. hey, these guys are jerks, no NT ways about it. There's nothing "NT" about trashing a book you're studying without taking more than a cursory look at it, or lacking insight into the human mind :rolli:. And there's nothing NT about slinging racial slurs around. This is BS.
2. Maybe I should should prepare my thoughts so I can respond well to useful criticism. That way I can get better at this and perhaps make them think
3. Maybe the teacher needs to get in control of a class of rowdy, cocky teenagers who sideline discussion with useless criticism

He probably was getting just an intense T vibe from the people, XSTJs can appear NT in the classroom I've noticed if they participate. That's probably what he was getting at, that it was just a T dominated atmosphere and he felt out of place.

Jesus Christ you people take this shit too far. Honestly, there have only been a few posters that have actually DONE anything in regards to this topic, others have just provoked him and argued just to argue or nitpick when they KNEW the point he was getting at. "Lols he made a sweeping generalization let's jump on him!" Come on, the context was pretty obvious here, that it was just a T dominated classroom with an NT like atmosphere, there's no need for any of this.