• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] Nerdgasm pic opportunity

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
This RAMdisk is in host's real RAM. That is why there is no pci-express or other bus I/O involved. The delay of the memory is thus well reflected in the CPU utilization chart.

p.s. It's cheaper to buy MB that supports big memory - from 8Gb to 128Gb, and to buy the memory - than it is to buy I/O bus connected physical RAM devices.

On 50% probability, my next server will have about 64-128Gb RAM. I'll program a special-purpose web crawler, content analysis engine and search engine. I'll start in in a year or year and a half.

Okay you can emulate a RAMDisk in software? Is this just a virtualisation thing?

(I'm interested because I DO run 8Gb of RAM.. your words....they interest me :D I'm thinking of tweaking my computer again.... though that's usually a terrible idea!!!)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I use RAMDisk 9.0 plus by Superspeed LLC. I don't remember what it cost - but it was one of the only software RAMdisks that would run
1) on x64 machine
2) on a windows server
3) not have ridiculously limited space

The RAM is in real RAM, 1:1. No caching or paging involved.

But, I did a few tests.. it seems that keeping VM in SSD is faster, because then the host RAM can be dynamically used for cache in files OTHER than those in the RAMdrive. I think it can actually be hard to find useful uses for RAMDrive, apart from testing, and keeping files you _want_ to be deleted fast.

Encrypting/decrypting and destroying the password would do the same effect as deleting files, but at a speed cost.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I use RAMDisk 9.0 plus by Superspeed LLC. I don't remember what it cost - but it was one of the only software RAMdisks that would run
1) on x64 machine
2) on a windows server
3) not have ridiculously limited space

The RAM is in real RAM, 1:1. No caching or paging involved.

But, I did a few tests.. it seems that keeping VM in SSD is faster, because then the host RAM can be dynamically used for cache in files OTHER than those in the RAMdrive. I think it can actually be hard to find useful uses for RAMDrive, apart from testing, and keeping files you _want_ to be deleted fast.

Encrypting/decrypting and destroying the password would do the same effect as deleting files, but at a speed cost.
It says free trial... FREE!!

It also says Microsoft so you know it's a short trial but meh...

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i love the color scheme of my total commander :yes:

and my external harddrive is "integral" :jew:

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Swashplate_anim_metal.gif

Huge 50 Years of Space Missions Graphic

Martian Sunset
PIA07997_spiritmars_c800.jpg