• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs: are you obsessed, by default?

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
ENTJ.... calm and assertive... is this something someone described you as or something you picked up :winkwink:

(My father's an ENTJ... he'd say he was calm and assertive.. our dog disagreed... more assertive and assertive. Calm got shot when it didn't do as it was told.)

That's a sweet story. Now fall in and stop sniffing Jock in the butt. :spam_laser:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is? I'm doing something wrong. I always go up against pack leaders. :whistling:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
It is? I'm doing something wrong. I always go up against pack leaders. :whistling:

I did that for a long while... now I find myself BEING pack leader half the time. That's just not natural!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did that for a long while... now I find myself BEING pack leader half the time. That's just not natural!

It really isn't. :|

But it's a sacrifice we must take. :yes:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
It really isn't. :|

But it's a sacrifice we must take. :yes:
Sacrifice? SACRIFICE!?!?! I'm having to lead Js into making a decision!! I'm having to engage in politics!!! I despise politics and yet I'm doing it everyday...

Talk about an obsession, most people seem to desire some form of leadership and when you actively support individuality and incorporation over drawing lines in the sand... they make you some kind of defacto leader?!?!?!

People make no sense...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sacrifice? SACRIFICE!?!?! I'm having to lead Js into making a decision!! I'm having to engage in politics!!! I despise politics and yet I'm doing it everyday...

Talk about an obsession, most people seem to desire some form of leadership and when you actively support individuality and incorporation over drawing lines in the sand... they make you some kind of defacto leader?!?!?!

People make no sense...

I lead people on a daily bases. But it earns me lots of monies. So I'm happy to sacrifice being the alpha pack leader. :yes:

I suppose the difference between you and me is that I end up being the pack leader in a more suitable place. Politics? Yeah, I feel for you.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I lead people on a daily bases. But it earns me lots of monies. So I'm happy to sacrifice being the alpha pack leader. :yes:

I suppose the difference between you and me is that I end up being the pack leader in a more suitable place. Politics? Yeah, I feel for you.
I'd actually kind of like being in a more leadership role in my work... I have to follow some really REALLY bad policies!!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd actually kind of like being in a more leadership role in my work... I have to follow some really REALLY bad policies!!

Oh yeah, that's the best part about running something. As long as things are going smooth. You can pretty much do whatever the hell you want. :wubbie:

Still, it's pretty hard work in general. Don't let the good times fool you. :D

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Oh yeah, that's the best part about running something. As long as things are going smooth. You can pretty much do whatever the hell you want. :wubbie:

I was raised by Js.. the whole leadership thing comes frighteningly easy even if I don't realise what I'm getting myself in for..... :doh:

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Good thing you added that last part. I was about to smack my TJ on your fluffy head.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good thing you added that last part. I was about to smack my TJ on your fluffy head.

I honestly can't fathom someone being NTJ naturally. It seems so stressy. I'm fine with being in J mode when needed, but thank the lord for P when it's not needed. :D

Nyx

I am not an INTP but I just wanted to say...
a) I relate a lot to what everyone is saying/ it makes me feel a bit loony

b)my obsession with knowledge has gone so far that I have stolen an untold number of books from bookstores and occasionally some libraries... :sorry:
they're just so expensive and I NEED MORE KNOWLEDGE/like collecting them.

At least I admitted my bibliokleptomania... and I'm not the only one!

Bibliokleptomania (an uncontrollable desire to take books based on a <I>strong</I> fondness for them).

errr...

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know that I would call it obsession, but I think a lot of INTPs engage in hyperfocus. Along with INTJs.

It's kind of related to "flow", which is an interesting concept.

1. Clear goals (expectations and rules are discernible and goals are attainable and align appropriately with one's skill set and abilities). Moreover, the challenge level and skill level should both be high.
2. Concentrating and focusing, a high degree of concentration on a limited field of attention (a person engaged in the activity will have the opportunity to focus and to delve deeply into it).
3. A loss of the feeling of self-consciousness, the merging of action and awareness.
4. Distorted sense of time, one's subjective experience of time is altered.
5. Direct and immediate feedback (successes and failures in the course of the activity are apparent, so that behavior can be adjusted as needed).
6. Balance between ability level and challenge (the activity is neither too easy nor too difficult).
7. A sense of personal control over the situation or activity.
8. The activity is intrinsically rewarding, so there is an effortlessness
9. People become absorbed in their activity, and focus of awareness is narrowed down to the activity itself, action awareness merging.

Flow (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am a very obsessive person when it comes to movies, TV shows, and characters that I like. If the topic comes up by chance, I want people to know it's an interest and a topic of knowledge. It's more or less complicated, I am self-conscious bringing it up because I know my ramblings will bore other people. If they come up naturally in conversation, I find excuses to ramble.

I buy merchandise relating to it, and draw a lot of fanart. When a fictional world has interesting lore, I like to delve down those types of rabbitholes too. Also topics that I find interesting like animals, biology, and cryptids. These interests and obsessions are a place where I can go to and escape from stressful situations in life. I get my hand on books with random factoids about said topics and read, and reread them. I read a lot about these topics and watch videos about them.

I find a way to associate every little random thing with what's on my mind, even if the connection makes no sense to an outsider. These connections aren't entirely intentional or conscious, but just how my weird mind operates. Once topics of interest come up in conversation I go on and on about them.