User Tag List

123 Last

Angry The movie-watching experience...

I don't know who this would be relevant towards, most likely, not just NTs, but, here goes.

I am well aware of the fantasy element in movies, the fiction, the minor need for suspension of disbelief, etc. But....there must be logical consistency even in the fiction you present, given your preliminary premise, with any changes noted, thereafter.

Sometimes, inconsistencies in movies bug me to the point where I can't even focus on the movie as a whole.

For example, the movie, Angels & Demons, the whole angle of capturing antimatter within a tube, right from the start, just threw me off because of its implausibility, and it irked me for the rest of it. The urgency of the whole plot was, thus, lost completely on me.

My ENTJ and ESFJ girlfriends and I went to see a chick flick - the Time Traveller's Wife, and I couldn't 'catch on' to the movie because every time he time-travelled, the setting looked 'modern'/not relevant to the time, and I couldn't get a timeline clearly outlined of how the movie was flowing. And, that was that.

Or, if a character says in a movie, "I gotta take my jacket" and puts it on a chair, and then exits without taking the jacket, without any follow-up dialogue like, "Damn, forgot the jacket"...it irks me.

A person driving a car, moving their hand so much on the steering wheel, with a pan shot of the car driving straight (not zig zag)...gah!

MAKE SENSE!!!
    Anyone relate?
    Last edited by Qre:us; 08-27-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Oh inconsistencies can ruin an entire movie for me, so I definitely relate. For example, my parents love the third LOTR movie, but I can barely watch it because of ridiculousness like the character Elrond (the ugly elf guy) traveling all the way from Rivendell to Rohan with enough time to catch Aragorn (the ugly human guy) before he left. That would be impossible given how long it took the principle characters to travel there during the first and second movies.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

I definitely notice those inconsistencies and I usually chuckle at them but I have learned to 'switch it off' - just for the sake of enjoying the movie, storyline etc. So that I notice but pay no more attention. Not until after the movie - then I'll have a good laugh

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Leave your Ti at the door.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I hate aliens meshing with our computer systems. I mean.. cmon now.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I try not to focus on it too much, but some movies... yeah it's just too much.

The worst example I can think of is the worst movie I've seen, "The Last Sentinel".

DO NOT WATCH THAT MOVIE NO MATTER WHOT!

Seriously, I don't mean that it's just BAD. I don't mean "so bad it's funny", no it goes right past that into being "so bad it's just BAD" and then it decides that's not good enough so it breaks into a sprint to be absolutely certain that it's so far in the red that after yeu're don't slapping it with a tennis racket trying to knock it somewheres way the hell away from yeu, it could resemble a brick wall with the lines in it.

Whot's even better is the cover jacket... lies. Period. It goes on about how the world is destined to be saved by "one woman" and goes on about her like she's a major plot element... she shows up, forcefully, so that it doesn't fit with the plot at all, sucks as a character, has no skill and nearly gets the main character killed repeatedly, and then gets killed off more or less halfway through the movie and doesn't show up again until the end after the last baddie is defeated. It's like... how did any of that make sense? Why was she even in the movie to begin with? It had nothing to do with her at all period, the only thing she supplied at all was a tiny bit of mostly inaccurate information, and then she disappears.

Whot's better is the other inconsistancies... like the world being pretty much overrun by these automated android like police force that have gone insane... except... uhm... they're all controlled from a single desktop computer. That's right, the entire 'operations hq' for the entire world, is controlled from a desktop computer.

And I don't mean a state of the art desktop computer, no no, I mean it has display monitors from the 80's, and two random 'scientist' looking people, who are barely more than a pair of cultists, of which only one of them even talks... and then gets shot. After going on about how they didn't rule the computers, they worshipped them and they couldn't stop them if they tried. Of course when the 'hero' just knocks the computer off, BAM all the androids suddenly die off. Well really. Yeu couldn't stop them at all huh? Sad...

The whole movie was just fifteen thousand levels of SUCK all rolled into one... it probably wouldn't be THAT bad of an action movie if I wasn't so hung up on the fact that not a single thing in the whole movie made the slightest bit of sense, or even pretended to try to >.<

MBTI
    xxxx

On a bit more of an S note, movies take some getting used to. Unlike the world outside of movies, you can't truly move around; the camera has a relatively high amount of control over what you see. For someone who, like myself, seldom views movies, getting used to minimal head movement in addition to accepting generally impossible angles can be a fair deal of a challenge.

Other than that, my main problem with movies wouldn't necessarily be dialogue/action inconsistencies or other visual effects not matching. What would bother me is when a movie seems to suddenly divert from what appeared to be the natural progression of the plot or the theme, the "hidden side" of the movie. In other words, large thematic differences between the main plot and one of the many possible subplots is slightly irritating.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've run into this a lot as of late. I have no problem suspending disbelief if they at least try to convince me. If not, the movie very quickly becomes a comedy.

I have to physically restrain myself from pulling a Mystery Science Theater 3000 occasionally.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    entp

nope.

point of the movies...most movies is entertainment...so i use movies to get entertained...if it learns me something, all the better

documentaries are another issue

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I hate aliens meshing with our computer systems. I mean.. cmon now.
    It's only common sense that our existing computing systems are actually based on alien technology. You think Alan Turing and Larry Page are human?