• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] New things learned

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Does anyone have anything in particular that they recently learned that surprised them?

For example, Lavey Satanism. It surprised me alot, I kindoff assumed it would be a bunch of goth teens or something. To be honest I also didnt think about it, as a bunch of people who i know who try to be badass by wearing an upside down cross (which actually started as a christian symbol btw)

But i digress lol.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, I'm not sure how NEW this is, but I've been reading the oddest book, which suit an ENTP like me. It's an anthology of interesting information, crazy design. It's huge, and feels like a scrap book of thoughts and ideas... it's huge, if it were smaller you'd keep it in the bathroom.

It's called "the Art of Looking Sideways" by Alan Fletcher.

When I went to buy the book the guy in the shop asked what it looked like, and I had a totally blond moment and replied "It's white with lots of writting on it".... He replied in feigned causticness "you don't say, we ahve a few of those".... :D

The Art of Looking Sideways: Amazon.co.uk: Alan Fletcher: Books

Anyway what was interesting:
There is more genetic variation between happening in Africa than there is in the rest of the world.

there was something about chromisonal differences between races being less than mutations within races - or something like that

That Adam and Eve possibly exsisted in Afria and we are prtty much all decendants.

Right now I'm reading about thinking

We don't think in words. The temptation to equate thinking with language is because words are more palpable than thoughts. Ater all - i'm thinking - is I couldn't talk to myself how would I know I was thinking?

(point from me, what if you are deaf and never heard speach, how do you think - what language do you use....)

For those who do here are numbers or ways of sorting, each has an advantages and disadvantages, broad categorise......

Natrual thinking: This is fluid and undirects, it wanders and meanders, it subject to repetition and generalisations. The sort of thinking that goes on when we don't think we're thinking

Logical thinking: This slects a route and follows it to its concluson. Tiwh this approach the colution is largely predetrmined, so if you head off in the wrong direction you can end up painting yourself into a corner

Pattern thinking: this confiness thought to operate within given rules. Therfore solutons are limited by the possibilities available within the pattern

Lateral thinking: this purposeful in intent without specific aim. Freewheeling so it can reveal solutions which might have been overlooked in other approaches.

Grasshopper thinking: most of the time out thinking jumps around alternating and mixing between reasoning and which adheres to measurable responses, and imaginating which allows unpredictable current to play around wth date, Producting and electrico/chemical sludge.

It then (on a different page goes on to talk about ROck logic and water logic, the former being hard, perminant inert and unchanging, the latter being fluid is mutable and chnagable.

A tibetan lama was speaking to a group of monks and to make a point - he pulls out a large jar and fills the jar with lage rocks and then asks the students "if it was full"?

They said "yes",

He then filled the jar with some gravel - and ask if it was full, and the students said "no".

He then fulled the jar with sand and asked if it was full

No said the students, and the lama said good and picked up a jug of water and filled the rest of the jug....

... the point is... no if you don't put the big rocks in first, you'll never get them in at all. What are your priorities in life?

It's an amazing book, not one to read cover to cover in one sitting, more coffee table and pick up and read a bit and put it down... so I learn a lot when I dive in.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Does anyone have anything in particular that they recently learned that surprised them?

For example, Lavey Satanism. It surprised me alot, I kindoff assumed it would be a bunch of goth teens or something. To be honest I also didnt think about it, as a bunch of people who i know who try to be badass by wearing an upside down cross (which actually started as a christian symbol btw)

But i digress lol.

Haha. Funny story, I was a LaVeyan Satanist when I was around fourteen years old. I found the whole self-worship nonsense brilliant sense I was a bit of a narcissistist at the time (probably still am). Truthfully, I think everyone is a LaVeyan Satanist in their own special way... INTPs, more so.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I've know satanists don't worship satan for... a very long time, long as I can remember. I always thought it was highly amusing that people thought otherwise.

As for new things I'VE learned? Happens all the time, to the point it's hard to even pin down anymore XD

Generally I know a great deal of most every topic I'm interested in this point, yet there's still always new information abounding. Uhm... even on here last night, I was digging thorugh the NT archives and came across an interesting post about NT females, and suddenly all the stuff I'd had to endure for years just MADE SENSE as the epiphany hit that it wasn't just strange (or well okei so I guess we ARE strange but only due to population inconsistancies and the rarity of such), but actually make a bizzare sort of sense.

Like wow... it's NORMAL for an NT female to be bugged constantly about not being feminine enough or to be treated as a form of twisted form of display art? (Come see the dancing monkey!) That really did open my eyes to a few things I'd sort of had gnawing at the back of my mind for some time but had never quite been able to actually place whot the cause was.

So yeah, we learn new stuff all the time, it's a nice feeling to learn something yeu didn't know before ^^

And subsequently forget it within the next 15 minutes half the time.