• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Defining people as 'Locks', Insulting?

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
I once told my girlfriend that I saw getting the truth or information out of people like opening a lock

Kind the right key, and apply the right amount of pressure, and whula!

She kinda got insulted, saying I shouldn't view people as locks to open.

Is what I did actually offensive? (I have my own opnion but am interested in what you all think)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol. Shes either overly sensitive or she has something against locks.

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
lol. Shes either overly sensitive or she has something against locks.

Or John Locke.

Or Lost

Or Knives

Or Killing Boars

Or Swine flu lol

No its more the fact that i do not view humans in a romanticized/idealised way at all.

Im the guy who said "My love for you is a wave of seratonin washing over my brain until it is later replaced by oxytocin, (other wise my brain would melt,) and after that I will be totally and completelly physiccally addicted to you!.........I LOVE YOU!"

Yeah...thats me.

EDIT: My gf is ISFJ, i think, and my ENFP friend also got irked with me.

veins

Perhaps she thought you were objectifying people. Supposing there's a person in question who doesn't wish to reveal any information, lest it be too personal or such, then the phrasing can come across in the wrong light, in the sense that you might care less about the person than the piece of information.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Grin, I can see her point.
You basically just told that you view people as an obstacle that you enjoy getting past and that it's not the person that counts, but the information.

I take it she an..NF? To us, it's people that matter, and it's disrespectful to ignore the person and give priority to something over someone. You'll have to explain her that even if your interest lies in the information peope contain, you will be treating the lock like a beautiful antique in the process as you value what it contains dearly, as well as its beauty :devil:

Also, most likely...it subconsciously made her feel like a means to an end to you. You're supposed to love her for who she is..not for the services/information she can provide. It's unnerving to think that your boyfriend might consider you as such, even if you *know* in your heart that you are most likely an exception ;)

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Perhaps she thought you were objectifying people. Supposing there's a person in question who doesn't wish to reveal any information, lest it be too personal or such, then the phrasing can come across in the wrong light, in the sense that you might care less about the person than the piece of information.

Probably. Sometimes I DO view information as more important than someones feelings, depending on the situation.

Im sure everyone could think of a real life situation like that.

(Plus everyone seems to be on this shtick that i think im superior to everyone, which is stupid. I am highly flawed and would absorb many of the charistics of my friends if I could. I think its just a pile of things like this probably)

EDIT: ANd its hard to put it romantically lol when in the pat ive also said "sometimes its like mining for gold with a pickaxe"

Hard to make that sound pretty, though to be honest I have also been able to bring alot of people to the point where they can admit the past and move on...stuff like that

wank

MBTI Type
free
Enneagram
nope
lol, blatant objectification gets to a lot people,...
Something about conflict aversion(blunt is bad?), not being willing to simplify others due to subconsciously recognizing others as projections, and an ego unwilling to part with the fascination of itself.

Expectation leads to disappointment. She did this to herself, you were a catalyst, hehe.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I once told my girlfriend that I saw getting the truth or information out of people like opening a lock

Is what I did actually offensive? (I have my own opnion but am interested in what you all think)

You goof.
You actually SAID this to someone out loud?
Especially someone you were in an LTR with?

Many people hate that.
They feel they're reduced to objects in your view.

I got burned badly any time I made a comment in similar style to anyone, so I quickly learned it wasn't worth it unless I knew they could handle it.

veins

Probably. Sometimes I DO view information as more important than someones feelings, depending on the situation.

Im sure everyone could think of a real life situation like that.

(Plus everyone seems to be on this shtick that i think im superior to everyone, which is stupid. I am highly flawed and would absorb many of the charistics of my friends if I could. I think its just a pile of things like this probably)

EDIT: ANd its hard to put it romantically lol when in the pat ive also said "sometimes its like mining for gold with a pickaxe"

Hard to make that sound pretty, though to be honest I have also been able to bring alot of people to the point where they can admit the past and move on...stuff like that
I can see where you're coming from. If there's someone whom you hardly know at all, then that person's feeling will weigh less than the information which you will hold in higher regard if it's information that you're seeking. Given the situation, like you mentioned. I didn't answer the question to this thread yet, which is, I don't find what you said to be offensive. It's just an analogy, comparing the extraction of information to opening a lock. Although, I can see how your girlfriend can construe it to be an offensive comment, as mentioned before.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

Find the right key, and apply the right amount of pressure, and whula

I just thought of the end of "men in tights" for some reason :).

wolfy

awsm
I don't see much wrong with saying that. When you got called to task for it you could have dressed it up a bit. "We all have our own unique combination lock..."

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
I don't see much wrong with saying that. When you got called to task for it you could have dressed it up a bit. "We all have our own unique combination lock..."

Lol I dont dress up almost anyting. I think of most of it as stupid human ritual, not that I still dont do it.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
You goof.
You actually SAID this to someone out loud?
Especially someone you were in an LTR with?

Many people hate that.
They feel they're reduced to objects in your view.

I got burned badly any time I made a comment in similar style to anyone, so I quickly learned it wasn't worth it unless I knew they could handle it.

It is definitely better to not mention these things. Besides, locks are easier to pick if you don't announce to the world that is what you are trying to do.:devil:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

It is definitely better to not mention these things.

It gets very tiring to pretend all the time, though. If you can't express your true thoughts to your LTR partner, then what can you express? What is the point, then? Blah.

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
It gets very tiring to pretend all the time, though. If you can't express your true thoughts to your LTR partner, then what can you express? What is the point, then? Blah.

Thats why I do express them to her, it is actually one of the roughest things about the relationship...the HONESTY!
And I dont cheat on her or anything like that either.
I could have lied to her so many times and smoothed things very nicely, but didnt for sake of my belief in being honest with a LTR.

Shes learning to deal with me....kinda.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
This isn't making sense to me.

What was the context of the conversation? This seems like a pretty straightforward metaphor, even to the point where people say "you have the KEY to my heart."

If these are two decently reasonable people then why would they be insulted unless there's something else that went on to make them react like this.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Nah, it's just the truth. And people don't like to hear the truth, but that's cool. Better for the rest of us.

sculpting

I think it is an interesting view point. I talk about people as puzzles, waves that consructively or destructively interfere or even use math analogies. I guess it might be considered offensive as you remove the individuality of the person when you use analogies as such and treat them as an object.

However the beauty is that, while they may be a repeating pattern, it is all the minute details inside the pattern that give variety and spice to the mix.