• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Music and INTP's

m32

What kind of music do INTP's like?

I am enjoying Gregorian Chant and Richard Wagner right now.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I enjoy classical, and what might be considered modern classical (like John Williams). Soundtracks to RPG video games are often good.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't believe musical taste has a significant relationship to type.

Animus

MBTI Type
INTP
A decent amount of what I listen to consists of technical/progressive death metal, but I also really enjoy alternative rock, and modern symphonies.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Why make it so specialized to only INTP's anyway? I wanna talk about musics >.> But I can't ;_; Yeu're so INTPist! LIke... uhm... hrm. This is making less sense as I go along isn't it? Fine then Imma make my own post. And it'll be laced with far more awesome. And unintpishness. Unless yeu want to post there too, then yeu can. Because I'm not intpist.

I have no clue where I was going with this. I blame it being 4:26am.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

^ Musical taste is more related to exposure (through relations, media, etc) than type. Generally, my taste is classified by whatever I feel like listening to at the time.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP

Werd. There is a tendency of some (many?) INTPs listening to music that matches their mood but I think that's about all you can definitively say about it.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

BÃ¥rris

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
^ Musical taste is more related to exposure (through relations, media, etc) than type. Generally, my taste is classified by whatever I feel like listening to at the time.

That's very untrue. Most of the music I like I have found on my own. The only band I have ever been "exposed" to (that I listen to), is Dream Theater.

rfossr

MBTI Type
INTP
i find myself drawn to artists with simple acoustic guitar and deep lyrics ala Bob Dylan or wild and spontaneous musical arrangements either electric guitar like jimi hendrix or certain classical pieces. Overall though i agree that my mood tends to dictate the type of music i listen to.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love classical music!

Hmm... Probably has to do with the fact that I play the violin.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I like a wide variety of rock music, although my favorite genre is progressive rock and metal. My favorite bands include Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, King Crimson, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Opeth, Strapping Young Lad, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Slip, Alice In Chains, Riverside, and Yes.

I usually look for lyrical and structural depth and complexity from my music. I love music that I can discover little things about each time I listen to and, of course, music that affords intense analysis to truly understand, such as albums with a unified concept that usually takes a close listening with a lyric sheet to begin to understand. Or maybe three. I prefer songs that actually make statements about subjects that really matter, such as exploring the psychological motivations behind the actions of serial killers (Porcupine Tree's In Absentia) or the horrors and ramifications of parental child abuse (One of the many themes in Pain of Salvation's The Perfect Element) I also, of course, look for music that exhibits emotional passion and I must admit that a good solid heavy beat will go far in making me like what I'm listening to.

Which may be why I consider Trance one of my guilty pleasures, so to speak.

As it is probably apparent, I think a lot about music. But why wouldn't I? Don't we INTPs think a lot about everything?

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I like a wide variety of rock music, although my favorite genre is progressive rock and metal. My favorite bands include Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, King Crimson, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Opeth, Strapping Young Lad, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Slip, Alice In Chains, Riverside, and Yes.

-snip snippety snip-

As it is probably apparent, I think a lot about music. But why wouldn't I? Don't we INTPs think a lot about everything?

There we are, you just named every single one of the bands I listen to on an almost daily basis.

On a side note, my friends hate going to concerts with me. I'm always in the back, quietly analyzing chords and harmonies and lyrics.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
On a side note, my friends hate going to concerts with me. I'm always in the back, quietly analyzing chords and harmonies and lyrics.

I want to be as close to the musicians as possible when I go to concerts. For me, concerts with bands I love are not about analysis, because I've already listened to and analyzed the hell out of their music on my own time, but they are more about seeing the musicians and really just experiencing their music. I do tend to analyze the music of bands I'm not familiar with though.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I want to experience the music, really, but all I seem to be able to think (and that's just the problem, isn't it?) about is how it measures up to the studio versions - do they play a song differently? What about the rhythm?

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Now that I think about it, I do that too. I guess I just can't escape from analysis no matter what I do. I guess the only real major difference between you and me is I need to be as close to the stage as possible.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Now that I think about it, I do that too. I guess I just can't escape from analysis no matter what I do. I guess the only real major difference between you and me is I need to be as close to the stage as possible.

Too much people near the stage. And they're all bumping into you and shouting and generally being idiots. How can you stand it? :shock:

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
At most progressive shows, at least the ones I go to, people mind their own business. Everyone's there to appreciate the music, not throw each other around and be noisy. Sure, sometimes you get squished a little or sandwiched between two fat sweaty smelly guys, but I've never been moshed at or otherwise assaulted. The most I usually have to worry about at the shows I go to are crowd surfers, who do have a propensity for falling on my head.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You're lucky. My experience with concert crowds generally has been negative.

I ended up with a broken leg when I dared foray into the front rows.