• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Music and INTP's

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do any of you like slower, more mellow music, like downtempo or ambient? According to the factor five model, introverts generally prefer slower more relaxed music compared to extroverts.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Do any of you like slower, more mellow music, like downtempo or ambient? According to the factor five model, introverts generally prefer slower more relaxed music compared to extroverts.

I like music across the entire spectrum. I actually got my start with metal music. The first genre of music I really got in to was Thrash Metal, when I was introduced to Megadeth. But I also love mellow stuff at times. What I listen to is mostly determined by my mood, as is seemingly the norm for INTPs. Ambient passages in songs usually do become my favorite part, mostly because brilliantly written soundscapes like that can really put you at peace and capture a mood perfectly.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I listen to a lot of slower classical music and sometimes jazz/blues. When I'm feeling a bit down, I usually turn on some Leonard Cohen and just relax.

But really, it's all actually predetermined by my mood, as Stevo said already. I find that I generally prefer slower, relaxing music when at home or working and energetic things when on the go. Though that's surely the same for everyone, no?

The first genre of music I really got in to was Thrash Metal, when I was introduced to Megadeth.

Mine was hard rock. Influenced by my mother's preferred choice of music, I guess.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What I listen to is mostly determined by my mood, as is seemingly the norm for INTPs. Ambient passages in songs usually do become my favorite part, mostly because brilliantly written soundscapes like that can really put you at peace and capture a mood perfectly.

This applies to me too, I usually like music that has a certain mood that matches my mood. But most of the time, I am very languid and relaxed so I like to listen to smooth sounding music.

If you like ambient techno you should try listening to Boards of Canada, their music has very rustic and pastoral feel.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I want to be as close to the musicians as possible when I go to concerts. For me, concerts with bands I love are not about analysis, because I've already listened to and analyzed the hell out of their music on my own time, but they are more about seeing the musicians and really just experiencing their music. I do tend to analyze the music of bands I'm not familiar with though.

I think that is the Se in me too - I am happy to pay a bit more to see iconic performers if I can get a good seat. I had great seats a couple of years ago to see Eric Clapton and his show was amazing - but I was considerably poorer in the pocket because of the experience! :headphne::wubbie::doh:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I like music across the entire spectrum. I actually got my start with metal music. The first genre of music I really got in to was Thrash Metal, when I was introduced to Megadeth. But I also love mellow stuff at times. What I listen to is mostly determined by my mood, as is seemingly the norm for INTPs. Ambient passages in songs usually do become my favorite part, mostly because brilliantly written soundscapes like that can really put you at peace and capture a mood perfectly.

I am the same - I have a wide gamut of music likes and only a few dislikes. I am afraid that the only genre I have a dislike for at the moment is Death Metal - only because I have not yet heard anything I like that doesn't sound like the singer needs surgery for throat cancer or is going to throw up. I am sure that there exists an exception there somewhere tho.

My music is quite eclectic and varies through folk, blues, heavy metal, classic rock, classical, jazz, some opera, torch music, world music, experimental etc. Some pop included but I am not into very commercial pop unless t has an unforgettable and exceptional beat.

Heck - my friends are embarrassed I like the Proclaimers!!:cheese:

I love a good guitarist, rock and ethnic percussion beats - love Ray Cooper and his obvious joy when performing! Also love meaningful, deep lyrics - the music I listen to indulges my Fi Ti and Se. :headphne::wubbie:

I am still waiting for David Gilmour to come back here and Jimmy Page & Robert Plant to do a world tour. There is generally plenty of time to see the younger musos but the veterans won't be around for much longer.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I am afraid that the only genre I have a dislike for at the moment is Death Metal - only because I have not yet heard anything I like that doesn't sound like the singer needs surgery for throat cancer or is going to throw up. I am sure that there exists an exception there somewhere tho.

I used to be the same---until I was introduced to Opeth. Their singer, Mikael Akerfedt, is quite possibly the finest death metal vocalist I have ever heard. Of course, when I first heard the band, I despised his singing. But for some reason, I gave them a second chance. And, wouldn't you know it, I found that his singing was a little less unbearable, and everything else about their music was absolutely amazing. They have great melodic compositions that scale the range from brutal heaviness to atmospheric and bleak acoustic passages. And once you start to be able to understand the lyrics, they are full of depth and meaning. Akerfeldt is also a great singer---when he's not growling, his singing voice is amazing! A good album to get introduced to their sound with is Damnation, quite possibly my favorite of their albums, which, as a plus, doesn't have a line of growled vocals in it! But if you feel ready to venture into their truly metal stuff, go with Blackwater Park.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I used to be the same---until I was introduced to Opeth. Their singer, Mikael Akerfedt, is quite possibly the finest death metal vocalist I have ever heard. Of course, when I first heard the band, I despised his singing. But for some reason, I gave them a second chance. And, wouldn't you know it, I found that his singing was a little less unbearable, and everything else about their music was absolutely amazing. They have great melodic compositions that scale the range from brutal heaviness to atmospheric and bleak acoustic passages. And once you start to be able to understand the lyrics, they are full of depth and meaning. Akerfeldt is also a great singer---when he's not growling, his singing voice is amazing! A good album to get introduced to their sound with is Damnation, quite possibly my favorite of their albums, which, as a plus, doesn't have a line of growled vocals in it! But if you feel ready to venture into their truly metal stuff, go with Blackwater Park.

Thanks for this - I am always open to new music experiences - I have some to explore this weekend that another member has referred as well.

I will tell you later whether I laughed or not. :cheese: Funny - I saw Metallica live a few years ago and had the reverse problem - their live version of their semi ballad "Nothing Else Matters" was dreadful!!

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, just don't dismiss them if you don't like them at first listen. It took me a little while, but I went from complete disdain--I did laugh at the vocals at first, as well--to loving the band.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yeah, just don't dismiss them if you don't like them at first listen. It took me a little while, but I went from complete disdain--I did laugh at the vocals at first, as well--to loving the band.

My mind is open but I can't promise I won't have a giggle either but I do promise to have a listen :D

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
My mind is open but I can't promise I won't have a giggle either but I do promise to have a listen :D

All right. I'm just used to people who only give bands one shot and then miss out on something I'm sure they'll come to sincerely love.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
All right. I'm just used to people who only give bands one shot and then miss out on something I'm sure they'll come to sincerely love.

I am very open to most new experiences but for now I dare not at this time of night or I won't be able to sleep - it is 2 minutes before 1am and I need to get some Zzzzs - goodnight for now :hi:

Mipp

MBTI Type
INTP
I love heavy metal, specifically industrial metal, but anything that's grand, operatic, and dark is appealing to me. Even my softer-sounding music is quite morbid and sorrowful.

Some of my favorite bands:
Emilie Autumn (self-described 'violindustrial', industrial with Victorian themes and instrumentation influence)
Type O Negative (Gothic metal, influences of thrash and doom)
Danzig (bluesier side of heavy metal)
Genitorturers (industrial metal, very sexual content)
Otep (Nu metal/alternative metal)
Prince (he's... Prince)
Hannah Fury (in the Emilie Autumn/Kate Bush mold)
Cradle of Filth ('extreme metal', a hybrid of black/gothic/symphonic)
Baba Zula (Turkish band, very interesting style, sort of trance-folk-rock)
Cem Adrian (Turkish musician)
Darzamat (Polish symphonic black metal)

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, Einstein was a big fan of Bach. Rush is also pretty popular amongst INTPs (Neil Peart's INTPness is a huge influence on their sound and also writes the lyrics). Ti is big on precision and Ne is big on experimentation and innovation. Virtuosity tends to appeal to Ti, so probably classical artists like Chopin would be on the list. I'd imagine Dream Theater probably has a good INTP following as well.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wagner is one of my favourites amongst the classicals. The broad group of classical music is my favourite; I'll add Enescu, Beethoven, Mozart and Bach on the list. As for more modern music, I like the band Hurts--their music is just more deep than most. As well, I like some techno and trance--think Tiesto.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The guitar is like my rubix cube, I enjoy deconstructing songs and working out how their recorded and played. Especially Guns N' Roses songs, for some reason, but - That's me.