• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Can any NT males think of nothing

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Kra, so, then, is it that thinking of "nothing" thinking of something, either through deceit shrouded in a desire for self-preservation or in a philosophical dwelling on an ungraspable essence as the expounding of a number here seem to be implying?
Do men, as a sex, spend considerable time actually philosophically contemplating "nothingness" or attempting to achieve some higher place through meditation? Or, is that simply the NT males?
Would you say that NF, SJ, and SP males are more capable of having moments where their brains are blank echoing caverns of no-thought?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am still trieing to find out how to think at all :D

F

FigerPuppet

The only time my thoughts will ever shut up is when I'm close to falling asleep.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Personally i cant stop thinking. When i try not to think about enything i start thinking that now i need to stop thinking, since thats thinking too i fail at start. After some seconds of that my mind goes wandering to other thoughts. Few seconds of that i notice that now im thinking something else than not trying to think and this starts all over.

Closest thing of not thinking is when im kind of listening music in my head. But even then my mind is really active since i can listen to vocals, guitar and drums at same time, sometimes allso can add bass to that, but usually if i hear bass it goes over some other instruments or vocals.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Kra, so, then, is it that thinking of "nothing" thinking of something, either through deceit shrouded in a desire for self-preservation or in a philosophical dwelling on an ungraspable essence as the expounding of a number here seem to be implying?
Do men, as a sex, spend considerable time actually philosophically contemplating "nothingness" or attempting to achieve some higher place through meditation? Or, is that simply the NT males?
Would you say that NF, SJ, and SP males are more capable of having moments where their brains are blank echoing caverns of no-thought?

Well, I do think S's, in general, are naturally more adept at reaching a higher focus ("not thinking" about unnecessary things) than we N's, at least on the physical world around us anyway. I don't think sex has much, if anything, to do with it.

The following are my own ponderings on the matter, so take that to mean what you will.

I think that when you attempt to think of "nothing" as an object, you have inadvertently created a construct, or something to think about. This may be a purely verbal inconsistency, but it seems to me that "nothing" does not exist. If "nothing" existed, it would cross the line from non-existential into existential, thus ceasing to be "nothing." Quite the perplexing paradox.

It's also possible that I've purely missed your point... :laugh:

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
We're lying. Big surprise, huh?

In that case, we're either;
1.) Thinking about something stupid, and don't want you to know
2.) Thinking about something objectionable, and don't want you to know.
3.) Thinking about something that wouldn't easily translate into words
4.) Thinking about something we don't want to think about, and therefore don't want to talk about.
5.) Thinking about something that simply wouldn't be interesting to talk about, like some basic physical, visual, or auditory sensation.

If I left anything out, feel free to add something guys.

+1. I don't know why everyone is taking the question so literally.

But to add to that list:

6.) Mental defragmentation. We take up the most important sums of our lives, know those by heart and forget everything else. No, your mother's birthday is NOT important.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Quite the perplexing paradox.

It's also possible that I've purely missed your point... :laugh:

Lol, it's ok. Apparently I wasn't very clear, philophize all you want.

I don't know why everyone is taking the question so literally.

Me neither...lol

6.) Mental defragmentation. We take up the most important sums of our lives, know those by heart and forget everything else. No, your mother's birthday is NOT important.

:D You're funny.

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm incapable of thinking of nothing. However, if I think strickly of a black screen, I get total black. But such a strict vision is strictly undone. So when I attempt to sleep, I picture a black void, with dark colored Z's, or myself sleeping.

Frank

The best way I have found to do this is to picture a muffler on the back of my head and every thought that flashes through my brain flows directly out of the muffler. It isn't pondered or critiqued. It simply gets sucked into the current and pushed out of my head. A pitiful attempt at clearing your head to induce a meditative state, yes, however it is the only method that has worked for me so far.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
...That's actually pretty fucking interesting!

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
YES!!!

lying in bed, i get asked what im thinking? i answer 'nothing'...i get an offended look. but its true...im thinking about NOTHING! im sure the subconscious is diong something wierd but i cant grasp any of the thought

corey_vann

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8sx
i have actually achieved this a few times in my life. it freaks my friends out though. they are so used to me ranting and spewing forth information that when it happens they think something is wrong. i have to explain that i'm thinking about nothing, now leave me alone and let me enjoy it!

G

garbage

I certainly can but I don't think it has to do with being an NT male. It has to do with mastering the self, meditation, and practicing the art of staying still, staying completely still is very hard to do and if you can do it, it brings you one step closer to blanking out the mind.

This, yeah

I think I've only been able to actually reach the complete emptiness state a few times, though

dorcus0

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't remember ever not thinking.

But here's the catch: if I wasn't thinking, I wouldn't be able to remember it.

The closest I've come to this is a sense of hyperfocus to the point that I ignore everything around me.

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
Yeah I do it sometimes. I just stare at something and I don't actually see it, I don't think anything. The thing I'm watching is first out of focus, then I'm not even aware of it.

Sometimes people think I'm staring at someone but I don't actually see anything in front of me. Or people think I'm in deep thought but my mind is actually at zero activity.

I think it's easier for extroverts.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yeah I do it sometimes. I just stare at something and I don't actually see it, I don't think anything. The thing I'm watching is first out of focus, then I'm not even aware of it.

Sometimes people think I'm staring at someone but I don't actually see anything in front of me. Or people think I'm in deep thought but my mind is actually at zero activity.

I think it's easier for extroverts.

+1 (i'm female but this happens to me a lot..)

F

FigerPuppet

I do the stare thing too, but only when I am concentrating on my thoughts. My stare usually ends up some rather inappropriate places if I am sitting in class. :rolli:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Can't do it.

Turning off the brain is for suckers.