• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What might a depressed ENT look like?

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
More importantly, what would a depressed/despondent adolescent or early adult (18-21) ENT appear?
Would they be prone to emotional explosions?
Would they hide?
What, if anything, might define them?

What if an ENT grew up in a household where they weren't the smartest (because as much as it seems to me here that NTs play at all being geniuses, in the real world, not many are)? How do you think that would effect them?

What's the difference between a depressed ENT and an ESxP?

I'm quite curious what you all have to say on this.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
Self destruction, isolation, and reaching out, all at the same time.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
He'd probably tell you that sinus infection will kill you, but that's just him projecting.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I bounce back and forth between rather excessive extreemes of depression sometimes, and back to normal again. Not consistant enough though to be considered clinical, yet far too deep to just be standard being upset either.

Main traits I've noticed from such:

- apathy, to the point of not caring about eating/sleeping
- self mutilation, usually in the form of pins or something small so as to not leave permenent damage
- suicide by proxy; I'd never kill myself, however taking a character in a game that's supposed to represent me, and killing them over and over for hours on end seems to occur semi regularly, tending to scare anyone who notices it and unfortunately, due to apathy, I just really don't care about it
- brooding and self loathing
- unable to smile, or fake any sort of enjoyment, even if trying to
- withdraw into self heavily
- only real interaction with others is to push them away, primarily to test if they're willing to put the effort into trying to cling on; the answer to being told to 'go away' at this point is to actually say 'no' no matter how tiring it is. It's a mental and emotional test to see how long it takes before people give up on yeu.
- focus far too heavily on failures, and anything positive one has done just doesn't seem to hold any weight or merit
- generally very reserved and quiet, may even refuse to speak to anyone for some time to see if they even notice, one of many attempts to cry for help and attention without directly asking
- Primarily seeking justification of self, and approval of those they trust, with many elaborate tests designed to get these indirectly. Having to ask for a compliment taints its' value to be meaningless.
*Edit* forgot a few
- Become a blame hog, accepting blame for things that the individual couldn't possibly have had any control over, and obviously isn't their fault, but accepts it as their fault anyway just so they have one more thing to feel bad about
- WANTS to feel bad, and on some bizzare level almost enjoys it, seeking the consolation of others, as it's one of the very rare few times of actually allowing sensitivities to show without remorse

These're just for myself, but that's whot I'd expect to see for most.

As for the rest of whot yeu stated, about growing up 'not being the smartest', I dunno I haven't experienced that myself. I'm sure it's occured at least on a few occasions for various reasons though.

Keep in mind that technically it doesn't neccesarily mean they ARE smart, it means that they put whot they HAVE to exceptional use, and value learning, which generally translates into becomming smarter. It doesn't neccesarily guarantee it from the start though.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Could a depressed ENT not care for reading or learning or anything intellectual outside of theorizing why everything in life is pointless and why whoever sucks?

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Nah not even interested in that. It mostly boils down to not wanting to actually do ANYTHING, as anything yeu do, yeu'll just screw up.

T

ThatGirl

Anytime I have had hard times, I imediately go into clear the room mode. I call this a "power surge."

I become udesireable un bearable and cannot focus on anything other than pushing every last person away. This will continue until I suceed too. Once everyone is gone and everything is quiet, I reflect and reflect, and reflect, till whatever is bothering me is solved, only periodically peeking out to bounce a theory, or test a solution. Then its back to the drawing board.

To be honest, as an ENT, I don't think I have ever really been depressed, sad, deeply sad maybe. No matter how much I try and dwell though, I keep coming up with new ideas and solutions. Seeing the problem as the source of my discontent and being driven to solve that problem to make it stop.

It makes for this cycle,

1) Wtf just happened
2) This sucks ass, why does this suck ass!?!
3) Everyone get the fuck away
4) Wait but what if I try this
5) Optimistic attempts

This either leads to:

A) It worked and I move on problem solved.

B) It doesn't work
Get massively frustrated
Then what's the point
Then the cycle repeates. until it finally reaches A.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Nah not even interested in that. It mostly boils down to not wanting to actually do ANYTHING, as anything yeu do, yeu'll just screw up.

Anytime I have had hard times, I imediately go into clear the room mode. I call this a "power surge."

I become udesireable un bearable and cannot focus on anything other than pushing every last person away. This will continue until I suceed too. Once everyone is gone and everything is quiet, I reflect and reflect, and reflect, till whatever is bothering me is solved, only periodically peeking out to bounce a theory, or test a solution. Then its back to the drawing board.

To be honest, as an ENT, I don't think I have ever really been depressed, sad, deeply sad maybe. No matter how much I try and dwell though, I keep coming up with new ideas and solutions. Seeing the problem as the source of my discontent and being driven to solve that problem to make it stop.

It makes for this cycle,

1) Wtf just happened
2) This sucks ass, why does this suck ass!?!
3) Everyone get the fuck away
4) Wait but what if I try this
5) Optimistic attempts

This either leads to:

A) It worked and I move on problem solved.

B) It doesn't work
Get massively frustrated
Then what's the point
Then the cycle repeates. until it finally reaches A.

Sounds a lot like what INTs do... it seems rooted in the perfectionist/obsessive tendencies.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Really unaware of reasonable limits on using the "ENT power" which is making everyone else look and feel like shit about themselves on command.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Could a depressed ENT not care for reading or learning or anything intellectual outside of theorizing why everything in life is pointless and why whoever sucks?

Yes. Just an overwhelming ennui; a feeling that nothing satisfies and why should it? It's all pointless and meaningless anyway. The more one throws oneself into exotic, mysterious, energetic, expensive pursuits, the emptier the soul seems to become, the bigger the smiles and laughs on the outside. Often bad Si takes over, and one seeks to establish oneself as a pillar of some community or family, though no matter how much one embeds oneself into any community, one never truly feels part of it - no matter what the opinion of its other members. Trying to feel something, but just dead inside. I'm afraid a truly depressed ENTP might not even seem depressed at all on the outside, because they'd be doing their best to avoid having people fussing over them and offering help that they then feel guilt tripped into accepting, but which they know is useless.

Just can't attach to anything or anyone. Seems to be a hive of activity, but is not actually even attempting or thinking about doing the things that they know they truly want to do, deeming them pointless, like everything else, and doomed to failure.

ThatGirl's cycles seem familiar as well.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
A depressed ent probably looks like a willow.

hehe, beat me to it. But we still could include a picture :).

treebeard.jpg

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yes. Just an overwhelming ennui; a feeling that nothing satisfies and why should it? It's all pointless and meaningless anyway. The more one throws oneself into exotic, mysterious, energetic, expensive pursuits, the emptier the soul seems to become, the bigger the smiles and laughs on the outside. Often bad Si takes over, and one seeks to establish oneself as a pillar of some community or family, though no matter how much one embeds oneself into any community, one never truly feels part of it - no matter what the opinion of its other members. Trying to feel something, but just dead inside. I'm afraid a truly depressed ENTP might not even seem depressed at all on the outside, because they'd be doing their best to avoid having people fussing over them and offering help that they then feel guilt tripped into accepting, but which they know is useless.

Just can't attach to anything or anyone. Seems to be a hive of activity, but is not actually even attempting or thinking about doing the things that they know they truly want to do, deeming them pointless, like everything else, and doomed to failure.

ThatGirl's cycles seem familiar as well.

Holy crap, yes. Every single word.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
very interesting. Would someone be able to provide an example or scenario of one of the things described?

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
For me:

-Taking it in...
-Accepting your helplessness for the moment.
-Deny feeling better about yourself at the moment, because that would seem too simple to do.
-Changing your view for the moment - from the great world ahead of you, to the little haven around you. All the simple things you couldn't have appreciated (otherwise) occurring to you.
-Dire loneliness. Want to talk to people.
-Steadily coming out to acceptance to the way things are at the moment, getting used to it.
-Asleep.

... Yeah.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Are you still talking about me? Don't worry. I'm busy not depressed. When I'm ready to emerge you will hear about it. I will make Donald Trump look like Mother Teresa. Just kidding.

You will make yourselves depressed if you spend too much time on threads like this. You need to get out more.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I'm afraid a truly depressed ENTP might not even seem depressed at all on the outside, because they'd be doing their best to avoid having people fussing over them and offering help that they then feel guilt tripped into accepting, but which they know is useless.

This's something I noticed awhile back, it used to drive me crazy that people didn't even seem to notice or pay attention to the fact I felt like crap. After a bit of experimentation though, realized it was totally due to the fact that I didn't even look or act that much different from normal.

Trying to instinctively hide it to a degree seemed to be natural so now I try to go significantly far out of my way to at least let people know I'm in a bad mood so that they can help. Though honestly, whot I consider to be "obvious" is... "subtle" at best for anyone else. Being slightly snippy at comments, a little more reserved than normal, and generally pushing people away isn't all that obvious when it's done via subtle methods. Have to be careful not to go too far and say stuff yeu'll regret later is the problem, so it tends to be far less drastic than people expect.

This's assumming of course that yeu're even TRYING to show this off. If yeu're trying to hide so people don't make a big deal over it (ie in a public place or where people don't know yeu) then it'll be near impossible to notice. I hide my frustrations and such quite well in public, in private with someone I trust though it can still be difficult to be 100% sure. There's a few small things people have noted for online only though

Lack of smily faces
Sense of humour seems to dry up
Excessive use of "..."

...Yep that pretty much seems to cover the extent of it >.> Were there other people I would not be comfortable knowing that I felt bad though, or 'friends but not close friends', I wouldn't ditch my problems on them or let them know anything was wrong.

In a position of leadership of some sort, if others are relying on me, then I won't let them see anything at all wrong either, it's only after the crowd has cleared out and a trusted friend's left behind that I'll break down once noone else will see it. My problems are my own, if yeu don't need to know about them, then yeu don't have any reason to be even implied they exist.

If I don't trust yeu enough to fix them, then I don't trust yeu enough to even know about them either.

It's kind of weird that way. Very doublestandardish but oh well.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
*presently reading the ennui thread*
So...
A depressed ENT would not resort to punching things or bouts of hysteria or threatening to kill family members or self?