• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Profile of a teenage INTP chick

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
Some initial notes: I'll be describing in a detail a female INTP friend. There's a bit of an analysis here and I would like to hear some thoughts of female INTP members here, on how I map things out.

Some initial background first:
I'm a member of another forum. It's basically the unofficial online community of my local university. Being academic in nature, the forum is pretty much intellectual in nature, though not as heavy of a think tank community than this Typology Central forum, in my opinion. There are discussions of MBTI, but that comes in rarely.

It has roughly close to 10,000 membership. A few hundreds post regularly. I estimate that around 100-200 of the regular posters may have met a lot of the forum members in real life, because the forum is based on a specific university locality. I'm one of those 100-200. I can easily say that I'm personally acquainted with 40-50 members.

Out of that 40-50, I know only two INTPs. Both are males. One is a social retard, I'm not even sure how much he's aware of it--stereotypical INTP that trolls around. One is a more charismatic, more extroverted, healthy INTP that could have a better developed J. He gets things going for him.

Outside those 40-50 people, I'm regularly in touch (at least online) with dozens more that I haven't really met in real life. Of course, I would always put a better degree of regard to those that I ACTUALLY know. Even if as an INTP myself, I don't want to be that much socially secluded.

One day, I got a text message from one of those girls in the forum that I haven't met up yet. She's says in the message that she took a test, and it showed that she's an INTP.

Me: "Well, you can't be an INTP, because I'm an INTP, there aren't a lot of things that we have in common."
Her: "You are an INTP?"
Me: "I know that test like it's my regular breakfast"
Her: "Errr....what's an INTP?"

I'm going to skip the details of that. Eventually, I would then have to take into account whatever interactions we're having ever since we got in touch (she's very accessible thru the phone and online), and see if I can get some parallels. The revelation got me interested. This is the closest I got to a verified INTP girl since I discovered MBTI (around 2 years ago).

Some assessments:
1. She doesn't like to show up to anyone in the forum, in real life. There's a considerable degree of anti-social behavior there, for certain. So everybody else in the forum that I know personally has little facts to work with on mapping her out. But this girl shows up enough of an online presence that a lot of people would wanna talk about her. My initial hunch is that the forum is SENSOR dominated, and that's probably one of the reasons why she's considerably elusive.

2. Her emotional facets/range are severely restricted. And if that's an observation from an INTP guy, that EFFIN' says a lot. It's usually just two types: promiscuity and trolling/sarcasm. It's kinda a weird duality, in my opinion. How can a girl be considerably a sociopath and at the same time, leave some room for promiscuity. At least almost all the promiscuous girls I know are extroverted. This is a bit of an anomaly. In the first place, INTP promiscuity is borderlining oxymoron.

3. Well, come to think of it, if you're a promiscuous INTP girl, it does have a certain degree of appeal if you're promiscuous minus the emotional baggage that SFs usually exhibit. There's not much expectation for romanticizing the lifestyle, unlike some extroverted SFs that would always seem to add a sugarcoated meaning to it. Being an INTP certainly restraints that emotional side.

4. She came from a possibly heavily conservative SJ family (take note that she's just new to MBTI and she hardly knows the jargon yet), and she told me one that sensuality became her "outlet" of some sort. But with her asshole attitude, it could buffer the effect of the outlet. Not to mention that she said that in her family, showing emotions is a sign of a weakness. So I guess that explains number two.

5. She's smart. She's 18 (I'm 27). She talks to to me like we're on equal footing (that's a glaring INTP sign right there). Still, I find her to be too arrogant. A lesson that I want every noob INTP to learn is that, learn to show courtesy to the person that can understand you because there are not a lot of them, and almost every INTP secretly wants to be understood.

6. I flirt with her sometimes. She flirts sexually. Hardly traces of emotions there. I hardly push it though, since if she toggles the flirtation with her sarcasm, I'll be on the losing end. I'm not a heavily sarcastic INTP, even during in my most arrogant state.

7. She's super reckless in her delivery of her sarcasm. Pretty much like ESFP kind of reckless. Unlike ESFP kind of reckless, which is more rooted towards idiocy and lack of forethought, her's is more piercing, deeply rooted, and pounds deep. She'll be surprised if you react emotionally to the statement. She doesn't have that much developed forethought yet, but her sarcasm is hardly shallow.

8. She hates girls. At least that's what she tells me. She's more drawn to guy friends. I think it's more of a hatred for SF that girls in general. She's also drawn towards "established" men (ENTJ?). I don't think it's purely materialism right there. But I think it's more like she realizes somewhat that her anti-culture state can be a potential hindrance of some sort to future success, that's why she wants a buffer of some sort. Though she's still young, and I see in her the desire of wanting to prove a lot of things. Sort of a childish idealist dilemma of some sort. Being at my current age of 27, I don't carry the same level of arrogance and idealism anymore.

9. Lastly, in terms of fondness with this girl, I would say that ENFJ and INFJ girls are more complementary to an INTP. I have a certain degree of developed extroverted-ness and Fi and flirting isn't hard for me to do, and I say NFs are more complimentary. But this INTP girl comes in interesting as someone that you want to dissect cerebrally. She feels a bit awkward that I have a better degree of sociability and I would sometimes teach her the virtue of being politically correct. Well, if you're inherently anti-culture/anti-norm, being politically correct, even if just pretentiously, shouldn't hurt that bad. It will give her better mileage in the long run. So far, she's not embracing the idea, and would always insist that she should have enough breathing room on what to say, even if it's a very annoying statement she'll be giving.

Some questions:
1. INTP men are usually pressured socially to be TJs. Are INTP females more pressured to be SFs?

2. Is this sensuality outlet an isolated care? Or does a lot of INTP girl relate to this?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't really know what else to add, as your entire post seems to be about this specific individual's neuroses. So I'll just answer the questions.

1. No.
2. I don't relate.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
It's wierd when people talk about other people like they're experimental fantasies or something. With that whole detached Ti act going on, yet writing a one page post to describe some random girl's behavior.

Just sayin'.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Me: "Well, you can't be an INTP, because I'm an INTP, there aren't a lot of things that we have in common."
What exactly put you off to the idea of her sharing the same MBTI type as you? And what changed your mind?

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
Good question.
Maybe the first would be the extreme impulsiveness in the delivery of her opinions. Even sarcastic INTPs have well organized thoughts before the final delivery, or so I think.

Bottom line, she's the most deviant to the archetype that I know of. Not that I know a lot of INTPs in real life to begin with. They're very hard to find.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Good question.
Maybe the first would be the extreme impulsiveness in the delivery of her opinions. Even sarcastic INTPs have well organized thoughts before the final delivery, or so I think.

Bottom line, she's the most deviant to the archetype that I know of. Not that I know a lot of INTPs in real life to begin with. They're very hard to find.
I, myself, tend to be quick on the trigger before properly organizing my thoughts.

What test did she take?

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
I'm not sure about the specifics of the tests that she took. Though she said that in her childhood days, she way sorta diagnosed with ADD. That's a giveaway in my opinion.

Anyway, she's still new to MBTI and I don't think she's enthusiastic yet in learning the basics. She could be very well living still with her auxiliary processes, like most of us experienced.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
You're making a few quick perceptions there yourself. Attempt to observe her while she is among other 18 yr olds. i'd say she is this INTP you speak of. Could also be a very shy ENFJ/ESFP. However, she is building up a stockpile of ENTJ guy friends. Which leaves me quite curious to the (possibly subconscious) strategy behind that. Could even be coincidence or perhaps the nature of her personality that leaves a scene of her around established dudes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some questions:
1. INTP men are usually pressured socially to be TJs. Are INTP females more pressured to be SFs?

Possibly. Especially in an SJ environment.

2. Is this sensuality outlet an isolated care? Or does a lot of INTP girl relate to this?

Why is sensuality a breaker on this? You said she veers between sensuality and sarcasm. Both offer ways to control the environment that substitute for more subtle social graces. (i.e., if you don't understand how to play the social games others can do easily, then these are two substitute methods that are still accepted as "normal" for women).

Most of your post is really interesting, but how can we comment on her? We've never met her, she's 18 years old (so chances are she's still developing her relational/social skills), and there's a lot of variety in INTPs and you've left a lot of gray area.

I think it's easily possible she is, but I really don't know based on this limited amount of info.

Good question.

It's something to consider, but again, family and past social experience plus individual quirks can create a lot of diversion from the "typical INTP." I think, yes, in conjunction with other traits, unorganized thoughts can be a sign of poor thinking OR poor communication skills. INTPs do tend to withdraw more if they're not sure what to do socially, but if she grew up in an extroverted SJ environ, don't be surprised if she's developed a few masks to wear in public.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Yes, and I think INTP females are also pressured more to be Es.

There is no female version of the strong silent type or the absent-minded professor archetype. Sociability and interpersonal grace is a little more expected out of them.

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
One of my friends is an INTP girl who is quite promiscuous. She used to be socially awkward, but then got over it. The type doesn't fit her perfectly, but then when you go through all the letters, nothing else could fit at all.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
ewe, it depends on what you call promiscuous (I'm dreading the reply).

NT's typically are suppose to be less promisuous, however as a teennager they may not be thinking in terms of "big relationships", more experimenting with their sexuality so they can get the feel.

I had a policy as a teenager - my bfs needed to annoy the hell out of my mum/bros and not be the sharpest tools in the box...

Lid

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Haha, I can relate to a lot from her profile. I'm also 18.

The only points that don't apply to me are the promiscuity and the misogyny.

If anything, I'm a bit of a misandrist. I'm attracted to both sexes, but I tend to approach relationships with males in a much more cynical light. Whenever a guy shows interest, I automatically think, "Yeah, right. He only wants to get into my pants. He's just BSing me because he thinks that as a young girl, I'll lap his sentimental crap up". I'm a bit of a bigot that way; I find it hard to believe that guys can fall in love at my age.

I guess the promiscuity applies to some extent. Having recently come out of a long-term relationship, I feel emotionally drained. With University just around the corner, I don't have it in me to settle down. Since the relationship ended I've staggered into a couple of casual encounters, but nothing serious. But I don't have the drive to keep this lifestyle up. One of the affairs went badly, anyway; the guy wanted to "cook me dinner". :blink: I took evasive action and severed all means of contact.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, and I think INTP females are also pressured more to be Es.

There is no female version of the strong silent type or the absent-minded professor archetype. Sociability and interpersonal grace is a little more expected out of them.

This is very true in my experience. Also, a lot of men are not looking for equals intellectually. They're looking for cheerleaders for their accomplishments. They're looking for a much "softer" creature than the INTP female.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Being academic in nature, the forum is pretty much intellectual in nature, though not as heavy of a think tank community than this Typology Central forum

Lol.

2. Her emotional facets/range are severely restricted. And if that's an observation from an INTP guy, that EFFIN' says a lot. It's usually just two types: promiscuity and trolling/sarcasm. It's kinda a weird duality, in my opinion. How can a girl be considerably a sociopath and at the same time, leave some room for promiscuity. At least almost all the promiscuous girls I know are extroverted. This is a bit of an anomaly. In the first place, INTP promiscuity is borderlining oxymoron.

You are confusing sociopath with schizoid.

Sociopaths lack empathy, but that does not hinder their extraversion. Schizoids are the ones who avoid human interactions.

Also, there are plenty of promiscuous introverts. You just don't notice it as much because they tend to be more discreet about it, being introverts and all.

Some questions:

Now granted I'm niether an INTP nor a girl (alas), but having known a few I'll chime in anyway.

1. A lot of NT women lament the difficulty of being an NT woman in our society. Few of them wish to be SFs though. Some of them envy the social prowess of ExxP counterparts, but if anything, in times of social distress, NT women think life would be easier if they were men, not SFs.

2. No, not really. It's one of those "sensing" experimentation stages a lot of young INTPs go through.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
She sounds like a total NT, even if she's not INTP. Honestly, she seems to fit the NT archetype more strongly than most of the NTs on this forum... just totally uninterested in emotion and people, does what she can to get by with it. I don't see any F in there. There's a possibility she might be an ST, but that seems unlikely.

I'd say she sounds like either a really messed up ENTJ, an INTP, or an INTJ... definitely not an ENTP.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, I've psychoanalyzed a girl I liked with the MBTI before.

Just ask her out; bi-polar psychopaths are great in the sack :)

Seriously, though, I found your snippet about INTP reckless sarcastic humor to be very true of my INTP brother.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
One of my closest friends from college is an INTP, and I was completely shocked and flabbergasted, mainly because he's a dumbass and doesn't think for himself.

^true.

So, you'd be surprised at what you find when you stop looking at archetypes and similarities and start looking at actual types.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This is a heavy think tank?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I mean, really??

If this forum is a "heavy think tank" by most people's standards, rather than a casual environment with intellectual elements seeping in, then I hate to think how normal people interact. And I hate even more to imagine what people like Provoker and BlueWing must seem like to THEM. Though I must admit, I have been on forums where I came across to the average person the way BW comes across to us, so... there might be something to it. *shudders*