• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] "Logically"

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
People mistaking being unemotional for "behaving logically" annoys me.

Unemotional =/= logical.

+1. ITA. QFT. etc.

One thing I find happening constantly in life and often here on the forum is a misuse of the word 'logic' as well. For example I'll use prostitution. Legalizing prostitution is neither logical nor illogical on its own, imo. I personally believe it makes sense because I have no moral issues with it - for me, legalizing it is 'logical'. However, some believe that prostitution is morally wrong - for them, legalizing it would therefore be illogical.

I've just been in too many disagreements here lately where this is what's going on - a difference of personal opinion/belief/set of values, and yet one or both parties assume that only they are being logical. Of course, they are (as in the above example) - but it's possible the other person is, too!

(and no, I'm not talking about formal logic/philosophy 101 here)

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
+1. ITA. QFT. etc.

One thing I find happening constantly in life and often here on the forum is a misuse of the word 'logic' as well. For example I'll use prostitution. Legalizing prostitution is neither logical nor illogical on its own, imo. I personally believe it makes sense because I have no moral issues with it - for me, legalizing it is 'logical'. However, some believe that prostitution is morally wrong - for them, legalizing it would therefore be illogical.

Yup. Maybe the problem is that some are confusing logic with objectivity. It's absolutely possible to be logical and rationalize your beliefs and values. Making it sound logical and makes sense. However, the way I see it, that's not objective. I think I might mix those two definitions (logic and objectivity) and use them as one and the same, because that's how I view and use logic, objectively. It all boils down to the fact that I consider objectivity closer to the truth and the "right thing". But if "moralized logic" makes more sense to "them", who am I to push my beliefs on "them"? Unless it's in a business/school situation or any other situation that affects me and is important to me - then I would totally push my thinking on "them".