• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why men don�t listen & why women don�t read maps

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
T is more stereotypically male, F is more stereotypically female. Or rather that's the cultural expectations - males are expected to be more T, females more F.

One thing where I'm stereotypically female - navigation. I suck at navigating and easily get lost, even with maps.

BB - I'm jelous of your skills, there are some game I'm never going to get the hang off. Backgammon drives me nuts, Iv'e not figured out what creates a higher score.....

Oh, I'd forgotten about backgammon. A friend of mine plays it a lot and coached me briefly at one point (I already knew how to play from childhood plus playing against the computer years ago).

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
T is more stereotypically male, F is more stereotypically female. Or rather that's the cultural expectations - males are expected to be more T, females more F.

One thing where I'm stereotypically female - navigation. I suck at navigating and easily get lost, even with maps.

I think the whole T & F thing is more than stereotypical if the brain gender tallies up on mass. It suggest that T = male brained and F = female brain, the stereo type comes from that not the other way round, although of course we have eons of socal conditioning....

Weird you can't do maps but can do computer games, whould have though the spacial awareness was the same... clearly not....

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think there are a few subjects that are more mixed gender - if you'd been a petrol head with a female brain, I think this might be more unusal. You cite being a computer geek, but are you the same type of computer geek as a male dominated brain? It may be that you are a geek in a different way (exploring it from a relationship perspective rather than purely technical).

Huh. Well, lately I've been using it from a more relationship perspective, but I used to explore it mostly from a technical one. I do actually have an interest in purely technical perspectives to use as a reference to make sure my abstractions don't get too far from the nature of the thing, though. I think I always tended to anthropomorphize various computing concepts in my imagination (perhaps reconstructing the programmer's personality from analyzing it, or imagining it as it's own personality, etc). I actually spent a great portion of my life trying to find ways to extrapolate things about the personality and nature of a designer/programmer from using the kinds of systems they designed, preferred, or disliked, sort of as a way of relating to them and getting to know them very, very indirectly (because I had come to believe that direct interpersonal interactions were somehow "tainted" with ego and such). This made my mind well-prepared for something like MBTI.

Actually, the thing that got me into computers originally was the hope of being able to program them to interact with me like a human being, maybe even care about me (I've always had a primary interest in A.I. development, improving human beings with cybernetic technology, and sentient machines). The interest intensified after I was betrayed by a friend and decided that computers were more trustworthy than people.

So, yeah... I guess there is an interpersonal perspective to be had there.

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
Wow! That is an extremely sexist test. I'm ENTP female, a 9/20, and yeah, the finger things says I'm male.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm female.
I scored a 6 on the test.
And both my index fingers are slightly shorter than my ring fingers.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
OK so i just had to do the test. I love tests. :)

12/20. Index shorter than ring finger.

From the book i had to do the brain wiring test, i came up as 170 so i am on the overlap of masculine/feminine brain. Apparantly i have a foot in both sexual camps. Lol. Wicked.

SubjectA

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I scored 8. I usually score around the middle, but if I do lean it's towards the male side.

And if anyone must know, my ring finger is longer than my index finger.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I scored 10/20. Right in the middle of the continuum.

EDIT: Also if you care about the hand thing, my index finger and ring finger are almost the same size with the index being just slightly longer.

I got a 9/20.

Same finger results as Poppy, my index is just a bit longer on each hand.

Wow! That is an extremely sexist test. I'm ENTP female, a 9/20, and yeah, the finger things says I'm male.

Why is it sexist? Just because we don't fit within a gender stereotype?

Maybe the individual points seem sexist taken on their own, but they're derived from general pools of data and thus reflect a "majority" grouping (e.g. ,"It is more likely for boys to want to...").

The real issue there is that it's still hard to tell what role socialization has had in the tendencies of the particular gender group, although it's pretty common knowledge from studies that when girls are given "boy toys," they usually play with them as if they were people; and boys will play with dolls as if they were footballs, not people at all, without any prior coaching. So it's not all just the socialization, there's tendencies that do exist.

The index/ring thing always seems funny to me; it's basically a test for the presence of testosterone early on, I think.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi Jennifer,

actually the book suggests that a lot of the gender differences are caused by those testosterone surges in pregnance.

Persumable one surge causes a physical changes - block and tackle
the other - create the male brain.

Its from there that a lot of childhood gender specific behaviours come from.

I wonder if what a child plays with is a product of environement (I climbed in trees a lot... I grew up with brothers), but how one plays is nature - I did lots of imaginative games etc, a lot more so than my brothers....

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Actually, the thing that got me into computers originally was the hope of being able to program them to interact with me like a human being, maybe even care about me (I've always had a primary interest in A.I. development, improving human beings with cybernetic technology, and sentient machines). The interest intensified after I was betrayed by a friend and decided that computers were more trustworthy than people.

So, yeah... I guess there is an interpersonal perspective to be had there.

AI is a bit scary, but it would fit a femail brain.... relationship based IT.....

L

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I got a 7. And both my ring fingers are longer than my index fingers. By the way, I think that whole digit ratio theory is bogus. Utter BS.

FlamingMask

MBTI Type
INTp
Heh. I got 13/20. Female, INTP. Both hands are slightly male.

On the BBC test I think I tested as slightly male.

On the BBC test I got about halfway between the average male score and a completely balanced score. The funny thing was, I did better than the average male on every male-dominated task except for systemising (slightly below male average) and better than the average female on every female-dominated task EXCEPT for empathizing, in which my score was a couple points lower even than the male average. Fe, anyone?

I got a 7. And both my ring fingers are longer than my index fingers. By the way, I think that whole digit ratio theory is bogus. Utter BS.

I've seen some convincing evidence to the contrary. I saw a video where this scientist predicted the outcome of a race between five men based solely on their finger measurements. Apparently natural running ability is linked to testosterone.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm not sure if I buy any of this finger ratio stuff. I mean, I haven't read much about it (which means I am currently withholding judgment), but it seems a little too similar to phrenology for my initial liking.

Oh, and actually measuring my finger length instead of casually eyeing it, I have found that my ring finger is ever so slightly longer than my index. About 1cm longer, to be precise. Whatever. I used to be a pretty good athlete, am average at music (was always second chair), hate math and prefer languages, and have good spatial abilities. It's not adding up.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I haven't been able to stop thinking of this song while reading this thread:

[youtube="EdLRmTyKKNo"]Petite Feet[/youtube]

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Okay I'm female, not sure of my type, ring/index fingers are exactly the same length, and I got a 10. I'm just ambivalent about everything, I guess.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I got a 9. Slightly masculine brain.

I can't navigate by anything other than landmarks, so I'm horrible at directions until I actually get to a place. Apparently this is very feminine -- I can barely follow a map.

Then again if I get verbal directions from anyone I'm likely to forget them in the next few seconds anyway. I guess I'm screwed no matter where I go.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I got caught rubber necking checking out some home made shirts some teens had made. Apparently it was pretty funny to watch.

I've heard that the gender stereotypes work about 85% of the time. With two older brothers I always wanted to be a guy and felt I was more like guys anyway.

I really appreciated my math skewed brain and it bothered me that as a female I wasn't "supposed to" enjoy math and science quite so much or be so good at it. I'm tall, I have broad shoulders and my hands are larger than about 90% of males I've ever met.* I was stronger than the females in my school - I went through puberty later than a lot of girls.

Then I had a buncha babies and nursed them all for at least a year. That helped me embrace my feminity. I also really, really like males.

I've given up feeling like I don't fit as a chick or have a male brain, I just figure my brain is feminine and the differences between me and other females is just how I am whether I fit a female or male stereotype for certain things.

*Little over 7.5" from base to tip of middle finger - of course my brother's are about an inch and a half longer

sculpting

I can read maps like an ace. I cant follow line by line directions worth a crap without a map.

I strongly feel those garmon navigation devices are sent from hell to lead me to the incorrect destinations. "Go left now!!!!" across six lanes of traffic in downtown LA. Nice.

maps never lie.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can read maps like an ace. I cant follow line by line directions worth a crap without a map.

I strongly feel those garmon navigation devices are sent from hell to lead me to the incorrect destinations. "Go left now!!!!" across six lanes of traffic in downtown LA. Nice.

maps never lie.

especially when the picture, the words, and the street signs dont match up or you look down and realize it thinks you are cutting across a field(just a warning if you end up driving in okalahoma with one).

It did once take me through some windy twisty back roads the forest late at night and we miraculously beat everyone else who took the highway.

sculpting

especially when the picture, the words, and the street signs dont match up or you look down and realize it thinks you are cutting across a field(just a warning if you end up driving in okalahoma with one).

It did once take me through some windy twisty back roads the forest late at night and we miraculously beat everyone else who took the highway.

haha! It made friends of mine drive in large endless circles in the desert to end up at a shows store instead of a pizza place.

I do like to race the garmon. If it tells me I can make it in 47 minutes, I like to see if I can shave time off of that. How fast can I REALLY get there? This couls be ISTP contamination via the ex :)