• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why men don�t listen & why women don�t read maps

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
I don't know if it's so clear-cut, Edge.

its not.
Sorry, i was leaving out bits of information. i dont think its box visual or box lingual/sequential, either. im lazy like that, sorry. i've read and beleive there are different strengths within visual thinking and most people dont have both. its split into creative and technical. if i find the website that gives an example i read i might post it. anyhoo, tehcnicals are better at maths, science and the like, they'll probably draw a description of something in a graph. creatives will draw it literally, their mind is like a movie. when they're sitting in physics and learning about acceleration, they're picturing the speeding car as the teacher descripes it, its even got a colour and a terrain. they have to see it acted out in their head to get it. if these people aren't good with technical visual reasoning, they might actually be bad with graphs and geometry, or they might jsut be slow as they need to adjust their thinking. i think the creative kind is usually preffered by females and technical by males. perhaps thats why, with the combined lingual and creative when-things-are-present-in-a-visual-way preferences, more females are creative writers and chronic diary users. there are also typically more female students in an art class and more male students in an advanced math class or a technical class.

I suck at techincal drawing, because I'm not clean with the pen/pencil and not good with the precise details,

that's just skill/practise. i meant knowing what an object would look like from alternate angles without actually witnessing it.

but I'm great at maps, better than everybody I know.
what's you're reasoning process like? are you like haphazard? i think i overlay the drivers’s point of view with the birds eye and relate them with each other. Like ive got one eye in the sky/above the map and the other on the road and they create a full image together like our two eyes do. I see them as the same thing.
how is your visual memory? if i think back to a lecture from the previous day i cant remember a thing the lecturer said but i can remember the clothes they wore, the colour of the tie (if i paid at least some attention to it that is). my short term memory for words barely exists. often it takes me time to unscramble what someone has said to me. Probably why my bosses usually stop talking to me, boss: "edge mop aisle 5", me:

However, I hate visually-oriented school learning - when learning is structured it's always better for me to have words; OTOH "real world" stuff is much better when visually-presented (and I also believe school is completely useless)...most people are just mixtures.

OTOH? yes true, most people are mixtures. some are extremes who rely almost soley on one type of learning. so they should be pretty damn infalliable when it comes to that type of reasoning. ive known one guy to be fluent in both sides of the brain. he was very intelligent and with this added advantage (he was good at maths concepts, okay at art yet preferred expressing himself in words) he was rather brilliant. it seemed he was just teh right mixture. he didn't struggle with words or the tid-bit rules of algebra yet could grasp mathematical concepts and had a perfect auditory memory. he was a real middle-man, and all rounder. he wasn't an extreme visual, spaced-out scatter-brain nut like me because we figured things out in a very different way.

i dont think most people are particulary intense in their preference but are backed up by their less preffered. i think the school systems weens children off their creative style of thinking (notice how all kids love to paint and draw until they hit get older), and draws upon the antithical style of thought. but not all are able to use this type of thinking well and jsut end up struggling.

i think.

take no note of me.

brilliantwomble

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I read the book and took the book test. I think when I originally took the test I came out male (like 100-120) although I don't remember where in that range. Then I re-examined the questions and came out somewhere around 140, which I liked better since it didn't make me as male wired (in the grey area). Mostly because I was on a long trip with a lot of guys and being one of the only girls makes you want to seem at least somewhat feminine. Safe to say though, I never came out incredibly male.

In general, pretty good with maps, compass navigation--not usually a problem especially when I had a test in college (had an outdoor major) and I finished my navigation test a lot sooner than many of the guys in my class who took the same route and started way before me. Although, according to the book this may have been because my peripheral vision was better than the guys which ended up helping for this test. I thought the points the book brought out were interesting although based on norms and averages which obviously means inherently there are some girls who will seem more like guys and some guys who will seem more like girls (as well as the converse--some girls will try and act more like girls because it seems they should and some guys will try and act more masculine.)

BBC test-- right in the middle.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
8...though that carrying a tune by yourself throws me off at times

also, the hand thing is opposite of the common occouraene...entp male

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I couldn't take the test easily by did read the pdf version. my opinion about reading hands comes from a london published book (DK? i think) and this one point has remained with me to this day. the author said the left hand is nature and the right nurture. meaning i suppose when reading palm lines finger length etc you compare the two sides to determine what potential is verse what has actualized. interesting concept to me. :)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
what's you're reasoning process like? are you like haphazard? i think i overlay the drivers’s point of view with the birds eye and relate them with each other. Like ive got one eye in the sky/above the map and the other on the road and they create a full image together like our two eyes do. I see them as the same thing.

Yeah, me too. I mean, when I look at a bird's eye view of a map, I immediately tend to imagine the road itself, how it twists and turns, how it bifurcates at intersections etc. obviously without all the landscape details. When I'm in the process of driving, or cycling, I kind of use a "progress bar" on the map, mentally coloring in red the parts of the road I've already been to. If I've got to decide on a path I haven't been before, I try to rely on big-picture landmarks, such as mountains, hills, etc (as long as I'm not in a bush or woods, in that case I am more instinctual).

how is your visual memory? if i think back to a lecture from the previous day i cant remember a thing the lecturer said but i can remember the clothes they wore, the colour of the tie (if i paid at least some attention to it that is). my short term memory for words barely exists. often it takes me time to unscramble what someone has said to me. Probably why my bosses usually stop talking to me, boss: "edge mop aisle 5", me:

I think my memory for visuals is better than my memory for words, but I can also remember the words. However, they're always associated with visual clues: in my mind, when I recall the lecture, it's something like: "when prof X was standing on the right edge of the class he said Y Z". In some ways I remember movement more than the details of the tie, although if it's a "new person" I tend to be more concentrated on the visual impression

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
8/20 "slightly male brained"

That actually sounds about right. I find maps especially interesting and always use them to plan out routes. I have to have the big picture so that if something goes askew, I can more easily adapt. A single landmark is almost useless unless it is a mountain range or something that can be seen from any point.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Not the best test I've seen on this at all. I did one awhile ago online which was far more in depth, and did way more actual 'testing' not just 'answer these questions' but things like it gave 3D blocks which it'd rotate to see if yeur mind was capable of following them and similar things like that.

In that case, I'd gotten a very slightly female brain (it was like 55% or something barely over the threshold at the time).

This current test is kind of... generic, and I didn't really find it nearly as well done. For this test though I got 14/20, so notably female brain but not by a huge margin (70% compared to 55% for the last one).

Note that my right hand is possibly very slightly male, almost identical finger lengths but the ring finger's barely ahead, the left hand has the index finger notably longer than the ring finger. Go figure >.>

RogueAgent

MBTI Type
ISTP
I got a 2 out of 20. My index finger ends at the bottom of the nail of my ring finger. Both hands are about the same.

theplacesyoullgo

Funny, I got 11, which is more female than I expected (even though I'm female).

I've always found the ring finger/index finger thing interesting. Both my index fingers are longer than my ring fingers... guess I'm pretty female after all.

Hazle Weatherfield

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w4
I scored 6/10 and my index fingers are shorter than my ring fingers and I am a heterosexual female. I'm also a student of Gender Psychology and don't much buy into the whole biological sex differences of the brain. This area needs a heck of lot more research, and the research that is being done is very hard to do in a controlled setting, let alone replicate.