• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] INTJ - Ni problem?

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
INTJ have deep imagination and insight (Ni) and use Te to put their visions into reality.
But what if they have continuously TONS of different visions? Could they have issues in which vision "trust" and finally use Te to accomplish it?
So, is it possible, especially under stress, being blocked in Ni and procrastinate because of doubt about which goal achieve?
Any thought or experience?
Thanks.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
INTJ have deep imagination and insight (Ni) and use Te to put their visions into reality.
But what if they have continuously TONS of different visions? Could they have issues in which vision "trust" and finally use Te to accomplish it?
So, is it possible, especially under stress, being blocked in Ni and procrastinate because of doubt about which goal achieve?
Thanks.

I myself have a particularly strong affinity to Ni. I've often had periods of time in which I was constantly bombarded with intuitive "visions." This usually made me lose focus to the extent of having to write down all of my ideas since I would usually forget them before I could apply them due to the sheer volume of traffic in my head.

In the last year or so, I've begun to meditate (though I wish it were more seriously) and attempt to develop more focus and mental discipline. It has helped.

So. To answer your question, I would say yes, it is very possible. Without a certain amount of mental discipline, I would say it is very probable that an INTJ will have bouts of Ni "ADD," if you will.

RenaiReborn

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2

In my own personal experience, yes, an INTJ can have many many intuitive visions. :p Yes, there can be issues.

Yes, it is possible, under stress to do such things, such as procrastinating.

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think I've always had a very clear definitive definition of what I "do", (which is art, in a myriad of forms) so then I've always considered that one, huge overarching decision to be the last word in terms of my DECISIVE Ni, i.e. "this is how I decide to see the world". Within that, there are a pleothora of little visions that come by the hundreds of thousands, and I feel represent the channeling of that sometimes limitless energy of Ni. If I hadn't established that initial "decision of communication" (btw for INTJs I believe that term best describes the eventual understanding of our secondary superpower, Te), I would have so many different things I'd want to do that I'd never get anything done. It was only by establishing the context of how I could interpret Ni visions that I was able to have so many of them so rapidly while still keeping them under control. I often use a symbolic example of the scene from The Neverending Story (Part II) where the protagonist gets a talisman or something or other that causes him to be able to grant any wish he can think of....one wish...at the cost of one memory. I've often found that Ni can do that if you don't reign it in with Te, and figure out some larger external world focus...you'll have dreams galore, but you'll lose so much touch with reality that it becomes like a frightening beast to you.

So OP, do you tend to have more problems with a plethora of visions in one style of expression? Or a plethora of STYLES of that vision's expression? I'd be interested to hear your experiences too!

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
So OP, do you tend to have more problems with a plethora of visions in one style of expression? Or a plethora of STYLES of that vision's expression? I'd be interested to hear your experiences too!

I don't know if I have understood correctly what you mean, but I was talking about my visions of long-term goals. I can imagine multiple scenarios for me when I think about the future and what I would like to be in the next years.
So it's difficult for me to make a decision and follow step-by-step something (for example an university major) if I am not sure if that thing will be right and useful for me in my life and career.

P.s.: very good nickname and avatar, Hendo!

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I don't know if I have understood correctly what you mean, but I was talking about my visions of long-term goals. I can imagine multiple scenarios for me when I think about the future and what I would like to be in the next years.
So it's difficult for me to make a decision and follow step-by-step something (for example an university major) if I am not sure if that thing will be right and useful for me in my life and career.

If they are so close together that you cannot decide between them, it most likely doesn't really matter what you pick. Pick and make the best out of what you get, which being an INTJ will naturally tend towards exceptional. In major decisions I have somehow almost always "gone with the flow".

There's a lot of freedom in not having only one vision that must be reached no matter what, on the other hand it also takes balls to commit to something fully (in the face of the possibility of failure). I tend towards the first and shy away from the latter.

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

well then, let's just imagine that for my part of it, visions=ideas. You have multiple visions of how you want to execute IDEAS that you have. That's understandable, but on that level I personally can't relate. I've known what I've wanted to do with my life since I was like....6. I just have had a really hard time figuring out how to make it work with the real world (i.e. use it to make money, express myself in an extroverted context, etc.)

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I suppose I could relate one thing on those grounds, I used to make tons of electronic music, and I felt that it was just as viable a form of Te expression (due to the nature of it, I still don't have any actual musical training, it's more like...sound manipulation I guess) and yet because I had always had certain engrained things from a young age that I had wanted to accomplish VISUALLY, no matter how much that other "vision" of mine was taking shape, it always felt like it was sapping time away from the skills I knew I had cultivated and trained for destiny.

a meager product

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
well then, let's just imagine that for my part of it, visions=ideas. You have multiple visions of how you want to execute IDEAS that you have. That's understandable, but on that level I personally can't relate. I've known what I've wanted to do with my life since I was like....6. I just have had a really hard time figuring out how to make it work with the real world (i.e. use it to make money, express myself in an extroverted context, etc.)

No, for me it's different. In some sort the opposite than you.

I give you an example:

I have multiple vision about my future. I would like to achieve X or Y or Z and they are very different. My problem is in being determined to choose one of that without changing my mind with another vision, so I can start seriously the Te strategy to achieve it.
But my problem is choose definitively between X Y or Z as long-term goal, not how to make it real in the world. Te come pretty easy to me. I know how I could make real X or Y or Z. The problem is that I am "blocked" in Ni, as I said.
Bye. And thanks to all.

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Thanks.

Yes, I've experienced this. I see it as an economic problem: reality is scarce and there's simply not enough of it to go around to satiate all of our wants. As a result, one must use the thinking/feeling functions to rationalize which vision is worthy of allocating time on to bring to fruition among the competing alternatives. Personally, I would like to be a pilot, stock trader, macroeconomist, lawyer, and lobbyist, but because reality is scarce the pursuit of one (under normal conditions) excludes the pursuit of the others. In my personal statement for law school, in answering "Why Law?" one of my reasons (there were others) was the following:

"There are several reasons why I think a profession in law is right for me. The first has to do with David Ricardo's 'law of comparative advantage' which I learned about in macroeconomics. The idea being that countries can mutually gain by specializing in what they are good at and trading with each other. This law can also be applied to people. My main comparative advantage is in public speaking and debating, which are skills that are important for trial lawyers, and yet both GPA and LSAT score are ill-equipped to measure this dimension of a person. Moreover, if I were to pursue a career as an accountant, for example, these abilities would not get their full use. Therefore, one reason why I am interested in a career in law is that it will draw on my strengths and maximize my personal potential."

So comparative advantage and utility-maximization were two important factors in deciding on this course of action. Yet, I think it would be incorrect to claim that the decision to pursue law was entirely the outcome of an ultra-rational process, just as certain historians of the Napoleonic Wars are incorrect when they assume that how things played out on the battlefield and the outcome of it was the result of some carefully thought out plan by a military genius. Thus, even though these are among my reasons for pursuing law I won't deny the possibility that I was gradually groomed into this career due to countless other factors (such as taking political science as an undergrad which is a natural avenue to law). Thus, it is unrealistic to reduce the outcome of a complex process to only a few simple-simon reasons. The essence of intuitive-thinking is a dialogue between intuition and thinking where a series of compromises, concessions, and bargains are made before decisions are formed. From my experience, the optimal decision for an NT is a decision where the impression afforded by intuition and the outcome of rational thought draw the same conclusion.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

As decisive and composed I appear to be, preferring Ni, Te and Fi at the same time creates massive internal conflict. The worst battle is unquestionably the Te vs. Fi debate, followed by the Ni vs. Te clash.

The purpose of my introverted intuition is to gather the information necessary for future plans. And the issue is that eventually, Te's demands for external results will hastily push the Ni to work faster, or to stop overall. Yet Ni is uncomfortable beginning on an incomplete picture; it wants to be an expert of the field before it even starts.

Ni: Wants to get it right.
Te: Wants to get it done.

Both sides want their way set in stone, so I (used) to resort to procrastinating to manage the polar oppositions. Though it partly kills me to know my tangible input is not reflecting my capabilities. Without Te, Hendo Barbarosa is correct when he says Ni can loose touch of reality (and hence, inflicting another burden for the Te.) Another nuisance of Ni is the rush of insightful visions appearing at the least convenient moment. I agree there's just so many ideas....but so little time. God-forbid, I have the actual attention deficit disorder and these epiphanies serve as an overwhelmingly irresistible distraction.

My problem is that I have far too many 'epiphanies' for one unreliable attention span to direct. :dry:

On the contrary, my innate knack for seeking out systematic improvements neutralizes this drawback. ;) I write my ideas down as Kra does, then re-organize them by genre, date, personal value, time-cost or all the above. It's not unusual to see me carrying around a notepad to store thoughts.

Additionally, I must always clarify my objective before initiating a task. This will limit the amount of time spent on day-dreaming and inner-self debates. Like you, I can't 'choose' between visions once the Ni cycle flows, though it is due to a hatred of disrupting the cognitive consistency, than a distrust. I also need to tie the scattered ideas together into one applicable structure or they'll be discarded.

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ni: Wants to get it right.
Te: Wants to get it done.

Oh bravo, Lethe. I was feeling totally like I couldn't relate to a lot of this (I tend to be more decisive, by my estimation at least) but when you pointed the above quote out I realized I have like, eight different scenarios where this conflict is apparent. I often feel totally defeated by any kind of Te victory, also. Not that I haven't had moments in my life where I could stand back and truly say "wow. ok I think we've got something good here." but it seems like lately anytime "get it done" wins, "get it right" is ALWAYS sulking, whether or not other people give me assurances of quality or whatever.

Basically, the crux of indecision for me, as an INTJ, is perfectionism.

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thanks.

I have lots of ideas and projects that I get started on and put on the back burner indefinitely.
But it's not because of stress.
It's just that there's a lot more ideas than I have time to implement.
I try to cherry pick the best ones.
I take the best ideas to completion.
I've always been good at brainstorming a lot of ideas.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Ni isn't holding you back. It's your ability to make a decision. Depending on your choices, some efforts to reach a goal can probably be incorporated together.