• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Stupid NTs

T

ThatGirl

I think this is an oxymoron.

Now I know that intelligence varies in people more than types, however when people say there are stupid NTs, I just don't understand how that is possible.

The very personality characteristics of an NT are either developed through growing up as an intelligent person, or having NT characteristics would build a foundation for intelligence. Basically, there is no way someone could hold strategic thinking mind set, with out it leading to some type of knowledge.

If people chose to act stupid, that is a whole other story.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Do you think the same does not apply to STs? If so, why?

Qre:us

Do you believe a personality archetype 100% resembles an actual person, for every case?

If not, that might be how you resolve why stupid and NT isn't an oxymoron.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
Eh, I think I'm with you on this one. At the worst one may find an NT with average cognitive abilities.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I think there are also NTs that lack self-awareness, so they might not be unintelligent, but they might be damned stupid in the real world.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Define stupid.

Functional perspective:

Te: not having a clear line of thought
Ti: not being accurate
Fe: not considering the group
Fi: not knowing what really matters
Ne: not seeing the forest
Se: not seeing the trees
Ni: not considering implications
Si: not considering what is already known

heart

heart on fire
I think this is an oxymoron.

Now I know that intelligence varies in people more than types, however when people say there are stupid NTs, I just don't understand how that is possible.

The very personality characteristics of an NT are either developed through growing up as an intelligent person, or having NT characteristics would build a foundation for intelligence. Basically, there is no way someone could hold strategic thinking mind set, with out it leading to some type of knowledge.

If people chose to act stupid, that is a whole other story.

It's the same way as there can be amoral Feelers. The basic judgement of the person is flawed, something in the way they were formed in their development was wrong. The Thinker can use their own logic excellently, but if their basic logic is flawed at it's core level they won't ever be able to stand back and see it.

Then again there's a question of organic brain damage. Like when my father had his major stroke, he didn't magically turn into a person who made his decisions based on his feeling, he still wanted to use logic but his logic was often disturbed by a lack of coherent brain function.

Their ability to use their brain might not have been as quick as another person's from the begining. That wouldn't affect a desire to use logic and N to solve problems, but up against a Feeler with a quicker brain yeah they would come out looking less intelligent. The Feeler's subconscious would be able to think for them and they would come up with the solution quicker---if their brain was truly better equiped and that really has nothing to do with preference for making judgments.

You are lumping basic intelligence, brain function and thinking preference for making decisions all into the same package and it just isn't that way at all.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
I think there are also NTs that lack self-awareness, so they might not be unintelligent, but they might be damned stupid in the real world.

Definitely a possibility but is that really stupidity?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Definitely a possibility but is that really stupidity?

I've met NTs who can barely dress themselves, don't know how to do laundry or cook for themselves, can't put together an intelligent argument, etc. I think that's stupid, by mainstream standards and my own. In my opinion brilliance or proficiency in one area doesn't exclude someone from being incapable in other areas. It's just a different kind of stupid.

T

ThatGirl

Point 1: Everyone has their own brand of intelligence, yes. NTs should be able to acknowledge theirs without offending everyone else or making them feel inferior. Go ahead say it.

Admit it!

NTs are smart.....and it's okay.

They have worked hard at it, are probably naturally inclined, and are driven by intellectual pursuits. This is part of there personality. They pride themselves on their intellectual achievements. How can you deny NT intelligence?

Haters.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
NTs specialize in rational thought systems. I consider some seemingly logical conclusions to be absurd and stupid when applied to situations. Rationale needs to be tempered with wisdom and thoughtfulness.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Point 1: Everyone has their own brand of intelligence, yes. NTs should be able to acknowledge theirs without offending everyone else or making them feel inferior. Go ahead say it.

Admit it!

Well, I see where you are going with this but can you go ahead and say that no ST/SF/NF is smarter than any NT out there? And if not why? Therein lies your answer probably.

T

ThatGirl

NTs specialize in rational thought systems. I consider some seemingly logical conclusions to be absurd and stupid when applied to situations. Rationale needs to be tempered with wisdom and thoughtfulness.

Well, I see where you are going with this but can you go ahead and say that no ST/SF/NF is smarter than any NT out there? And if not why? Therein lies your answer probably.

This is all very true. But here we go with the NT stigmas and mindful equality again. Of course there are other types that can be more intellectual than an NT, but that does not make the NT less intelligent.

heart

heart on fire

Admit it!

They have worked hard at it, are probably naturally inclined, and are driven by intellectual pursuits. This is part of there personality. They pride themselves on their intellectual achievements. How can you deny NT intelligence?

Haters.

One burst blood vessel or fierce blow to the head can change a lifetime of effort and accomplishment in building knowledge. Doesn't change the person's preference for being NT though.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
So according to the NT's own definition of stupidity, NT's can't be stupid, what a surprise! :D

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
I've met NTs who can barely dress themselves, don't know how to do laundry or cook for themselves, can't put together an intelligent argument, etc. I think that's stupid, by mainstream standards and my own. In my opinion brilliance or proficiency in one area doesn't exclude someone from being incapable in other areas. It's just a different kind of stupid.

If they can not perform any of these tasks then what are they proficient in? I'd almost suggest they these NTs you know have some sort of classifiable disorder and their inability to conform to the norm isn't really stupidity.

Edit: Although I do understand your point but, I don't believe deficiency in say your social skill set or your ability to care for your physical self properly to be a a result of stupidity. Being an NT I suppose I'd define stupidity to be the lack of ability to reason or apply logic.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Stupidity is abundant in all types. Wheather its a less than perfect memory or the inablity to process information as fast as everyone else. Also theres also NTs who only see their point of view and refuse to see anyone else. These are people who don't see the big picture, because the only picture they see is from their angle.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not playing out any strategy. I decided to try help one more time. I thought it's important so what the heck.

Also, when dealing with angry people repeat their words back to them one time after acknowledging their concerns.

heart

heart on fire
If they can not perform any of these tasks then what are they proficient in? I'd almost suggest they these NTs you know have some sort of classifiable disorder and their inability to conform to the norm isn't really stupidity.

Edit: Although I do understand your point but, I don't believe deficiency in say your social skill set or your ability to care for your physical self properly to be a a result of stupidity. Being an NT I suppose I'd define stupidity to be the lack of ability to reason or apply logic.

But a person's disorders or organic problems have nothing to do with their preference for percieving and making judgments. ThatGirl's argument is that anyone who has Thinking as a judging preference and N as a perceiving preference cannot ever be stupid (unable to apply reason it what I assume she means) except by choice. Her thesis actually disproves itself. :D

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Define stupid.

Functional perspective:

Te: not having a clear line of thought
Ti: not being accurate
Fe: not considering the group
Fi: not knowing what really matters
Ne: not seeing the forest
Se: not seeing the trees
Ni: not considering implications
Si: not considering what is already known

No wonder FPs like saving the forests/trees :).