• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How to Quit 101

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Absolutely, in a second. Or I'd starting preparing to quit in a second. Like getting another job lined up obvi.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
If they're like family, I'd simply tell them what you've told us. Just tell them that you think they're wonderful, and you appreciate the amazing opportunity they've given you, but that the monotony of the actual task is starting to get to you, and that you really need some variety when you come to work every day. Maybe tell them that as a lawyer, you'd get to analyze situations and how best to attack them and win the case, which is a mental challenge you'd appreciate. But filing, no matter how great the environment, isn't giving you the challenge you need, and it's absolutely nothing personal, but you feel like it's time to find something else.

I think they'll understand. Heck, they may even try to find something around there that would suit your personality better. But likely, at the very least, they'll hate to see you go, but ultimately understand and wish you well.

I agree with what Talullah has written. This is what you should do.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
If they're like family, I'd simply tell them what you've told us. Just tell them that you think they're wonderful, and you appreciate the amazing opportunity they've given you, but that the monotony of the actual task is starting to get to you, and that you really need some variety when you come to work every day. Maybe tell them that as a lawyer, you'd get to analyze situations and how best to attack them and win the case, which is a mental challenge you'd appreciate. But filing, no matter how great the environment, isn't giving you the challenge you need, and it's absolutely nothing personal, but you feel like it's time to find something else.

I think they'll understand. Heck, they may even try to find something around there that would suit your personality better. But likely, at the very least, they'll hate to see you go, but ultimately understand and wish you well.

Yah, I agree with 'lulah, except I'd lean more towards asking them if there is any other work you could possibly move to within the firm, rather than just say you think it's time to move on. The bolded bit is what first occurred to me when I read this thread, mostly because the team I work in has that mentality - we are encouraged to talk to one of the managers if any of us feel like we need a change. (they'd rather we stayed and were happy, rather than any of us leave and then have to go through the hassle of finding replacements and training them up)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
*blinks* Why must things be so one way or the other?

Perhaps tell them the job is getting to you and you would like a little time off? I don't mean exactly a vacation... but perhaps to work fewer hours? It's difficult to come upon a decent job in this current economy.

O

Oberon

Start coming into the office after hours and making photocopies of your bare butt on the company copier. Leave the copies around for people to find.

If that doesn't work, start making the copies in the daytime during work hours.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi

I'm with bluebell on this (although I'm UK based so not too sure about US employers).

Talk to them, tell them you like working for the people in the firm but the dullness of the workload is driving you insane. Ask if you can get more involved in something that will support your longer term goals. See if they can meet you part way.

Thing about kids jobs is just that, they are escapist jobs in your head because it all looks fun and irresponcible. They pay like crap and they are physically more demanding, having to take customer crap and be on your feet all day, have to put up with loads of garbage from people who are less qualified and bright as you are.

Try and either get a better role where you are/find something better for a different legal firm. If it all goes tits-up, then plug the hole with a short spell in starbucks...

L