• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and Religion

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you believe in anything? Is your tendancy to except whatever science adheres to, or does agnosticism rule? Are you as varied as everyone else in the general population? I'm not looking for an argument, nor a debate (i.e. my views in any direction don't come into play).

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
I was Unitarian, then Radical Atheist, then one of those "seems like something's out there but I don't know what" agnostics, then Christian.

I accept NOTHING. Not science, not religion, not my own senses. I question everything, fanatically. Sometimes I even invent shit just so I can question it.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dunno what to believe. I follow science, but not everything has been proven...or not proven for that matter.

Therefore, I dunno if I so much believe, as can't wait to die to find out.

Scratch that, I can wait.

If there is a conscious being, I don't follow it like the bible does.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Interesting link, Blank, I hadn't heard of Ignosticism. I guess by definition I'm an atheist since I don't believe in any higher being, or subscribe to any religion, or even really think about religion in the traditional sense much. It's kind of a non-issue for me. But I do believe in quantum mechanics, which entails so many bizarre things as to require a certain leap of faith. And it does offer an explanation of the universe, which I consider an important goal of religion, so it'll have to suffice as the closest to religion I've ever come.
I have a lot of respect for people who do have faith in something and genuinely abide by the moral codes of their religions, though.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's hard to say really. I was raised a protestant Christian, but over the years I've been absorbing and mulling over a lot of different philosophies, ever questioning as I go.

I'm closest to being Taoist at this point though.

A calc. professor once told me, "Science is a new religion." I'm inclined to agree considering the way most people view it. Too many forget that science is just a progressive construct of what we believe we know, based on experimentation.

Eris

MBTI Type
IsTP
When I was little, I was sort of a non-devout Christian with a bunch of questions. Then I became atheist towards the end of middle school and the beginning of high school. Towards the end of high school, I became more agnostic than anything.

Now? Well I believe in the big bang, that the universe is around 13-14 billion years old, evolution (basically, I'm not a creationist that goes literally by the book of genesis), etc. But when it comes to the topics that science hasn't had any evidence for (yet?)... I'll just say that I don't really believe in anything absolutely, but I have ideas. I'm particularly interested in string and brain theory, but I also think some eastern philosophy has cool concepts. If there is a god, I think it's probably more of a force/process than a conscious being, if that makes sense. ...I dunno, I'm kind of all over the place usually, constantly questioning and searching for ideas to a truth I'm sure I may never find.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I know a few NT's who are quite religious. What I notice about them is they are very skeptical at first until they've thoroughly proven to themselves what it is they believe in. And then once they are religious they are quite knowledgeable about it because they continue to study and prove to themselves their belief, examining and debating in their mind.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm agnostic in theory, atheist in practice.

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP
I can entertain just about anything. When it comes to actually believing in things, though, my outlook is usually just "I don't know." I love science, and all, but I recognize that its scope is limited. The same is true with "reason."

So, basically...

Fuzzcrossed said:
Do you believe in anything?

I don't know.

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm an atheist.
I believe in self help teachings, success teachings, psychology, and science because they are based on the real world and rational thinking. They are based on lots of empirical evidence and objectively discerning what works and what doesn't work. If you follow their principles, then you will succeed.

Lately I've embraced the metaphysical a *little* bit.
I believe in the power of belief.
If religion has any power, it's because of belief.
Things that people believe in tend to come true.
They are self fulfilling prophecies.
If you truly believe in something, you tend to make it come true,
whether it's good or bad.

That's why it's important to believe in positive things, so that you
make good things materialize in your life.
When you have negative beliefs, you make bad things materialize in your life.
It's important to expose yourself to positive people and stay away from all sources of negativity, such as the news media and negative people. I don't read or watch any news. I don't let them discourage me.
I don't want to let negative people and the news media fill my head with negative beliefs which will cause me to make bad things happen in my life.

Rich people are extremely strong believers in their power to make good things happen in their life. They're full of optimism. They focus on their goals. Unsuccessful people are very doubtful of themselves. They're full of pessimism and worry. They focus on problems and dwell on negative thoughts.

I believe in the power of rational thought to solve problems.
I believe in researching for information, advice, and solutions.
I believe that pretty much all the answers are out there already.
You just have to find them.

So these are the rational things that I have found to guide me in my life.
This is what I use instead of religion.

Both of my parents were T's, so they didn't take me to church.
And I wasn't interested in going.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I like to absorb the good philosophical teachings from all religions I encounter. Their organized structures only serve to fulfill humanitarian works and provide a community for those involved. However, god to me is simply a way of perceiving the queer energy to the universe which will hopefully (or hopefully not) one day be explained by science.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I have yet to find a non-social reason for religion.

That statement doesn't really mean anything. You could say that about almost anything and make arguments to back yourself up.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To TS Designer concerning The Power of Positive Thinking (or "The Power of Belief" as you said it):

You can follow all the formulas (which are usually) based on faith-in-self (positive thinking!) + the right information + the right system + the right product(s) + tireless hard work (= Billionare?), and still find yourself destitute and working at Burger King. Positive thinking and even having everything perfect in that formula doesn't make you rich...but it does make it more likely. By all means, believe in yourself, it's vital, and pursue success as long as it doesn't compromise you along the way. Just know, logically, that belief alone doesn't carry the power to make you wealthy. Sometimes "luck"--or translated into T--numerous variables that are hard to predict, difficult to calculate and may be impossible to avoid, can happen on the road to life that will make you or break you financially.

The people who write self-help books on this stuff understand that propogating the lie that postive thinking will ensure you wealth are probably trying to sell you something. Be careful.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Its hard to believe in something that can't be explain.....yet, and majority of it seems illogical (god made it so is not a reasonable explination on any level). Yet i do leave the door slightly open to possiblities.

I don't leave my life to fate, why should i do it for my belief.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
once again, no.