• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Good things about INTPs

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
- Quickly understand how things function
- Analytical
- Good at designing almost anything
- Fine-tune a system until it is optimal
- Are objective and remain neutral in their appraisal of phenomena
- Able to grasp the connectedness of seemingly conflicting ideas
- Interest in many things
- Good at seeing where things fit in the big picture
- Highly adaptable to circumstances
- Do not rest on their laurels concerning their knowledge of something and are constantly adding to it

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
INTPs have the uncanny ability of being able to teach me something almost every time we talk even unintentionally. I will say without question that some of the most "meaningful" conversations I've had have been with this type.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, time to praise INTPs (especially since the rant thread is so long)

But the INTPs already dismissed the entire thing as irrelevant and moved on. :smile:

(Still, it's informative to hear what other sorts of people perceive about INTPs.)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I find this thread more demeaning than the 'rant on INTPs'.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Since it seems to be a social nicety rather than being conducive to any particular end? I'm not surprised you think that.

But I'm going to add a polite comment anyway (I can only think of two, ATM):

1. Can constructively criticize society when it's necessary.

2. Don't expect inexhaustible empathy or politeness, easy to talk to when you feel emotionally drained.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Since it seems to be a social nicety rather than being conducive to any particular end? I'm not surprised you think that.

But I'm going to add a polite comment anyway (I can only think of two, ATM):

1. Can constructively criticize society when it's necessary.

2. Don't expect inexhaustible empathy or politeness, easy to talk to when you feel emotionally drained.
Wow, you know your INTPs!

In my opinion, there is a particular end,
and that would be: to encourage one another.
It's like "random acts of kindness"... with words.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
They keep most of their emotions tucked nicely inside.
They think.
They have goofy sense of humor and mad punning skillz.
They have mad research skillz.

My particular INTP is:
  • sexah
  • hardworking
  • sweet
  • kind
  • honest

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
1. Fun to fluster in debate.

2. Are precise when articulating their intentions.

3. Aren't flatterers; praise is validation of an idea or design.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Wow, you know your INTPs!

In my opinion, there is a particular end,
and that would be: to encourage one another.
It's like "random acts of kindness"... with words.

Of course you and I understand that. But to him, anything that doesn't work towards a higher purpose or furthering understanding isn't meaningful. That's just how he is. I see the emotional value in such things, although I can also see how sometimes they do begin to seem cliched and lacking in real meaning if they become too standard or repetitive. It can become structure without meaning, and I understand why that can be bad.

But I digress:

3. Able to adapt to changing circumstances.

4. Don't make hasty decisions.

lastrailway

There's nothing demeaning on this thread, as there isn't on the rant thread. We are talking about a system for categorising personalities, and mentioning what we consider as positive or negative characteristics about any of these personalities reflects the opinion on the system's categories.

ygolo

My termites win
Of course you and I understand that. But to him, anything that doesn't work towards a higher purpose or furthering understanding isn't meaningful. That's just how he is. I see the emotional value in such things, although I can also see how sometimes they do begin to seem cliched and lacking in real meaning if they become too standard or repetitive. It can become structure without meaning, and I understand why that can be bad.

I used to think that too, and I find it really frustrating that I cannot understand peoples criticisms of praises.

My main aim at the rant on INTPs thread was to understand why many people (not all) are upset with INTPs (and more selfishly, me). I saw a lot of what is upsetting, but very little why.

So, as an experiment I wanted to try starting a praising environment on the forum (There is that "prime mover" arrogance again-- but I think that is a fairly permanent trait on my part, perhaps that's where the "manipulative" criticism comes from).

But what I have found is that people are usually listing the same qualities w/ different (more affirmative) words in the praise thread when compared to rant threads.

Besides that, there are modal differences. Sometimes we are "sweet" sometimes "insensitive", just like everyone else. Same sort of thing on the Good qualities of INTJs thread.

There are a few unexpected tidbits too.

Added to that is the frustration of knowing, that despite the fact I know a lot more theory than when I started, my understanding of human nature, or individuals in my life, has not improved.

I started the rant thread to see if I could come up w/ a system to avoid the hassles of being hated, and having people put obstacles in my way.

There is similar potential use in a praise thread.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
There's nothing demeaning on this thread, as there isn't on the rant thread. We are talking about a system for categorising personalities, and mentioning what we consider as positive or negative characteristics about any of these personalities reflects the opinion on the system's categories.
Are the positive and the negative characteristics different characteristics?
Or are they the same characteristics?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I used to think that too, and I find it really frustrating that I cannot understand peoples criticisms of praises.

My main aim at the rant on INTPs thread was to understand why many people (not all) are upset with INTPs (and more selfishly, me). I saw a lot of what is upsetting, but very little why.

So, as an experiment I wanted to try starting a praising environment on the forum (There is that "prime mover" arrogance again-- but I think that is a fairly permanent trait on my part, perhaps that's where the "manipulative" criticism comes from).

But what I have found is that people are usually listing the same qualities w/ different (more affirmative) words in the praise thread when compared to rant threads.

Besides that, there are modal differences. Sometimes we are "sweet" sometimes "insensitive", just like everyone else. Same sort of thing on the Good qualities of INTJs thread.

There are a few unexpected tidbits too.

Added to that is the frustration of knowing, that despite the fact I know a lot more theory than when I started, my understanding of human nature, or individuals in my life, has not improved.

I started the rant thread to see if I could come up w/ a system to avoid the hassles of being hated, and having people put obstacles in my way.

There is similar potential use in a praise thread.

Why does it matter what people think of you or INTPs? Just let them believe whatever they want to believe in.

The reason I find this thread demeaning is because of the subtle suggestion that praise may be needed in order to help the INTP function. You'd annoy an INTP more by invoking their feeling side than by supporting their feelings.

95/5 is norm for the INTP on the third dichotomy, this means dealing with F at all is troublesome, whether this be a positive or negative emotional experience.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

This shouldn't surprise you. All you are really asking for on either thread is a list of qualities. One asks to show how those qualities could be negative, the other asks how they could be positive, but they are, after all, the same qualities. It just depends on the lens you filter it through.

For instance, you could call choose to call a quality indecision/hesitancy or openness to opportunity. Freedom or Chaos. Order or Control. Does that change what the quality is, in essence? No, it simply changes how it is perceived. Language contains a lot of redundancies, and words with positive and negative connotations to describe exactly same thing. Once you understand this, you will understand why rhetoric is so persuasive.