• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and banter

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Do you enjoy a bantering style of humor? It's nice whenever I run into British nationals, as this seems to be their native mode of humor, while in the US, it's not necessarily perceived to be friendly. With close friends it's acceptable, but with people you haven't known for a while, it seems more competitive or aggressive than fun here. With the UK friends, it's just par for the course - which is nice, because it lets N run wild. Thoughts?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
duhh yeah, NTPs live and breathe banter, especially.

NTJs do it too but more subtly and not as often.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Yeah, but this is more sort of a personal experience type thread.

NTs and SPs bantering is a hell of a fun time - since they'll set the bar, and you'll exceed it, then they'll try to make you uncomfortable, and you just run with it, and anyone who's not in on the joke is horrified. Beautiful.

T

ThatGirl

Interesting

I hate banter,

but I have learned through time to tolerate, in order to eventually slip in the deep stuff.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've observed in the past that banter seems to be an Fe style of humor, more often than not. I find it to be fun, but it can be quite challenging to me.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
I banter, I mock, I pun. I'm Canadian and dry wit is more prevalent here than in the US. I mostly find other Canadians, Brits, or Aussies "get" my brand of humor, with Americans it often falls flat. One of the big draws of the other forum I'm on is the silly wordplay, INTJs excel at that.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, but this is more sort of a personal experience type thread.

NTs and SPs bantering is a hell of a fun time - since they'll set the bar, and you'll exceed it, then they'll try to make you uncomfortable, and you just run with it, and anyone who's not in on the joke is horrified. Beautiful.

Heh welcome to every conversation I've ever had with ESTP women.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm lucky to live in scotland where NT humour considered to be best! Specially the sarcasm!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I agree that Americans don't always find this as funny, although I think it's hilarious.

Jaguar

Do you enjoy a bantering style of humor? It's nice whenever I run into British nationals, as this seems to be their native mode of humor, while in the US, it's not necessarily perceived to be friendly. With close friends it's acceptable, but with people you haven't known for a while, it seems more competitive or aggressive than fun here. With the UK friends, it's just par for the course - which is nice, because it lets N run wild. Thoughts?

What I laugh at most is brutal sarcasm, not banter.
There's an INTJ in this forum who makes me laugh so often,
I have to make sure I don't choke on my coffee.

Although I do have an ESTP buddy who has a similar effect on me.
He can be brutal as well. Lol.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm lucky to live in scotland where NT humour considered to be best! Specially the sarcasm!

Frankie Boyle? :D (I'm guessing he's ENTJ)

I love banter. It's one of the main ways I express respect/affection towards people, although admittedly the sentiments are lost through translation. Luckily my English lit teacher (ENTP) didn't see it as a lack of respect. In fact, he often retaliated with enthusiasm.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i agree! i used to have a friend who was from england and she definitely had a different, and for me, refreshing, sense of humor! i remember her saying something once about someone being a "fat pig" for eating something decadent (she was a waitress) and she meant it innocuously, but the american women with me were pretty taken aback by that. (not me. i loved it!) i miss her and her brand of humor. i find most of my friends (save one enfp) are pretty straight-forward in their humor and usually very concerned about hurting others' feelings. i wish i had more english friends! i don't like it, however, when bantering turns into anger. it doesn't with me. but i've seen it happen and been on the bad end a few times, so i guess i have to trust the people i banter with, to know that it won't turn sour on their end.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What I laugh at most is brutal sarcasm, not banter.
There's an INTJ in this forum who makes me laugh so often,
I have to make sure I don't choke on my coffee.

Although I do have an ESTP buddy who has a similar effect on me.
He can be brutal as well. Lol.

edgar? he's the $---!

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I enjoy banter very much and I live in America, but I have seen people mistake what I consider flirtatious banter for hatred or aggression :confused:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
i agree! i used to have a friend who was from england and she definitely had a different, and for me, refreshing, sense of humor! i remember her saying something once about someone being a "fat pig" for eating something decadent (she was a waitress) and she meant it innocuously, but the american women with me were pretty taken aback by that. (not me. i loved it!)

Yeah, it's things like that, where people get pissed off and think you're being serious, rather than an invitation to a conversation stream. She probably threw that out there, thinking someone would say something like "hey, no need to be mean there - as far as we know she could be some delicious pork chops" and so on and so forth. Americans will get very Te-Si (with some sort of F) in those situations: "you shouldn't say mean things like that!"

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Banter" has become very loosely defined...

Jaguar

I once told someone I studied serial killers so I could improve their methods of killing.
The person thought I was serious.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I love bantering back and forth. I love talking to NTPs, STPs and NFJs as a whole. I think everyone has their own unique blend, but these types seem to match mine more often than not. (although STPs can sometimes go too far and make it weird and NFJs don't often go far enough)