• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP - not sensitive?

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This sucks!
I'm trying to buy a car. I've been trying to buy a car for six months, but I can't decide. I actually prefer having my choices constrained - budget, practicality, etc - because without that I have no way of organizing the data or choosing between equally valid options. And then I just reach stalemate, or else I get so exasperated that I go out and buy the first thing I see. I don't seem to be able to make simple purchasing decisions like a normal person!!!

How do other INTPs handle this?
The last time I bought a car it had become slightly easier because of a quasi-intervention. Recently, when contemplating what my choices might be if/when I might buy the next one, this one struck me as a good choice which is basically based upon efficiency (I assume you're as big a fan of efficiency):
BMW UK releases most fuel efficient 3 Series
BMW 316d (2009) first official pictures

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The last time I bought a car it had become slightly easier because of a quasi-intervention. Recently, when contemplating what my choices might be if/when I might buy the next one, this one struck me as a good choice which is basically based upon efficiency (I assume you're as big a fan of efficiency):
BMW UK releases most fuel efficient 3 Series
BMW 316d (2009) first official pictures
Efficiency is for INTJs!

Hmmm. Can't see me in a Beamer somehow...

What was the intervention, if you don't mind me asking?

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anal-ish Efficiency is for some INTJmaless!
fixed
Hmmm. Can't see me in a Beamer somehow...

What was the intervention, if you don't mind me asking?
Had the same situ, but the alternate choice was efficient too & the intervention was related to making the choice a more socially effective one i.e. kinda like buying an SUV or a truck so that schmucks on the road won't think about cutting in/off.

How about a Beamer or heck even the proverbial 'boxy' Volvo SUV. Alternatively, a Merc coupe? Last I heard, prices had fallen quite a bit.

EDIT: After sales service, cost of parts are amongst the things to really give a lot of weight to also

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
It's apparently my third function, actually. I don't know if it's related, but I'm quite easily hurt by people's criticism.

redacted

I'm pretty sensitive. I like knowing I'm approved of by others.

In terms of Fi values, though, I really don't care much.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
This sucks!
I'm trying to buy a car. I've been trying to buy a car for six months, but I can't decide. I actually prefer having my choices constrained - budget, practicality, etc - because without that I have no way of organizing the data or choosing between equally valid options. And then I just reach stalemate, or else I get so exasperated that I go out and buy the first thing I see. I don't seem to be able to make simple purchasing decisions like a normal person!!!

I know. I get worked up about this too. It's mad though, really.

Well, I am in the same boat, car shopping. First off comes reliability. I know a bit about cars and have a pretty good sense on what is good, what is passable, and what to avoid. Second comes comparing it against my budget, and finally practicality.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Why am I seeing a lot of INTPs with Fi in a relatively prominent position (at least 5th place) when it should be 8th? Is it because they have INTJ (or ENTJ) tendencies that would bring it up to 3rd?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Why am I seeing a lot of INTPs with Fi in a relatively prominent position (at least 5th place) when it should be 8th? Is it because they have INTJ (or ENTJ) tendencies that would bring it up to 3rd?

Who says it should be 8th?

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
This is hilarious. Not sensitive? Really? I had figured out how to make my INTP mother cry on command by the time I was twelve. They're not insensitive, it just that-- like everything else-- they need a good reason to be in a particular state of mind. A well-aimed jab will do the trick, but just barraging them with random insults or sad situations is more likely to make them pensive.

And yes, I was an evil, evil child. :devil:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

I also understood the MBTI model for INTPs to be: Ti Ne Si Fe Te Ni Se Fe.

Of course, it's just a model but I thought that was the "standard" make up. Have I misunderstood?

Qre:us

If we go by the archetypical INTP, in the theory of functions order, it should be in 8th place (Fi). In practice, for individuals who identify with the archetypical INTP profile, of course, there's variance.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is hilarious. Not sensitive? Really? I had figured out how to make my INTP mother cry on command by the time I was twelve. They're not insensitive, it just that-- like everything else-- they need a good reason to be in a particular state of mind. A well-aimed jab will do the trick, but just barraging them with random insults or sad situations is more likely to make them pensive.

a child that makes their parental figure cry for fun sounds like a child that doesnt feel they have any proper role models. mostly i would just wait for this kid to grow old enough to join the insane clown posse

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Was she crying because you actually hurt her, or because she birthed a child who actively tried to?

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
The 16 Type Patterns <-- This is the theory. It makes me wonder how [in]accurate it is since it's rare to see an INTP with Fi last. If anything, INTPs seem to disregard Fe.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Oh, this involves the Shadow functions. Never knew what to think of those, however I do not think Shadow functions are inherently weaker than the conscious ones, just that they aren't readily apparent to the individual that they're there. For example, the Te shadow is nearly as strong as the Ti dominant, however its use is far more unconscious beyond the notice of the Ti-dom. It would arise instinctively.

This is usually apparent on Cognitive Process tests, however I would say those aren't incredibly accurate.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I wouldn't say I'm not sensitive. There are only a few things I value personally that are like pressure points once you find them. But like I said, there are only a few.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I know an INTP who has incredibly high Fi. Those functions vary from individual to individual.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
This sucks!

Are things like size, safety features, miles-per-gallon, storage space, etc. really not an issue?

I recently bought a 2010 Mazda 3 Sport hatchback through the "cash for clunkers" program. I'm quite happy with it, fwiw, though my choices were constrained by the fact that I'm a terrible driver and need storage space. I chose the Mazda 3 over the Honda CR-V and the Hyundai Elantra because the former is much smaller, and still has lots of storage space along with modern safety features.

The Mazda 3 sport hatchback also has a grill design that makes the front end look like a smiling face, so I've decided to call my car Herbie-san. :D

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The 16 Type Patterns <-- This is the theory. It makes me wonder how [in]accurate it is since it's rare to see an INTP with Fi last. If anything, INTPs seem to disregard Fe.

Oh, this involves the Shadow functions. Never knew what to think of those, however I do not think Shadow functions are inherently weaker than the conscious ones, just that they aren't readily apparent to the individual that they're there. For example, the Te shadow is nearly as strong as the Ti dominant, however its use is far more unconscious beyond the notice of the Ti-dom. It would arise instinctively.

This is usually apparent on Cognitive Process tests, however I would say those aren't incredibly accurate.

I do not believe in much of any theory about the shadow functions. The most steadfast thing I believe in regarding the types is their dominant process pair. The primary cognitive process and its auxillary, like Ti-Ne. That is what defines a type, and as far as I am concerned, that is all a type defines.

I have not seen any good explanation as to why the other process pairs would be guaranteed to exist in a certain order (or why one process can't take part in two different pairs). I have read why, for example, Introverted processes only pair with Extraverted processes, or Judging only with Perceiving. When I found the explanation, it made sense, and I accepted it. I have found no such satisfying explanation for the whole process list that is given to each type.

Also, not a single test I have taken seems to have any questions that would account for the shadow functions, so they are apparently just testing to see if I'll answer for Ti-Ne, and then fill in the rest from there. That's a pretty shitty idea, since it starts really straddling the line between description and perscription, risking that the MBTI become zodiac.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some INTPs can be insensitive to a fault. It might do them some good to take criticism to heart at times. Caring is a good thing. It helps you to grow to see yourself from other people's perspectives.

There's also the issue of being insensitive to others and totally obtuse as to how your behavior and words are affecting them.

I do find INTPs sensitive to rejection. Every time I dump an INTP he seems upset about it. :devil: