• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP - not sensitive?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aderack: Is it wrong that I laughed at your story? Reminds me of something that would be in Johnny Dangerously.

"You shouldn't shoot me, Johnny. My mother shot me in the face with a water pistol once... ONCE!"

EDIT: I'm so old for using that reference! :doh:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Well, I mean. Everyone has emotions. The question is what you do with them: how much you acknowledge them, and then how much you factor them into your decisions. Of course, there are side effects to brushing your emotions aside. Unless you empty that garbage pail, it's going to overflow. Here's a bit of a recent conversation with a friend, also INTP:

> I have trouble dealing with situations like that, because I kind of try to be agreeable, but that only works up to a point. And then i suddenly snap. It probably doesn't make sense to the other party. You know, "He seemed okay with what I was doing before!"

* Yeah, I know. The sponge can only soak up so much. There was this moment in high school -- I was in a friend's room, in a kind of bad mood. I was slumped against his bed. Someone sneaked up in the hallway, and shot me in the face with a water pistol. I didn't react. I wiped my face, and kept lying there. He snuck up and did it again. Again I didn't react. He did it a third time, and I flipped out. Before I knew what I was doing, I was up and screaming and raging and kicking things with all my force. I don't know who did it. I guess he said "holy shit" and hid somewhere. But I didn't calm down for like ten minutes.

> What the fuck? Who does that three times? Or even twice?

* That guy.

> Once, i can understand. Yeah, it's retarded, but whatever. But to come BACK and do it AGAIN?

* I don't know.

> That is some fucking pathology right there.

* I know. I guess somewhere in my head, I just excused once. All right, someone's being an idiot. What else is new. Then a second time, fuck, what's wrong with that person? Oh well. But three times, it's like -- what the shit.

Ha, I can relate. Though I'd probably have said something casually the first time, ala "quit it." The second time, I'd have gotten more serious, and the third time, I'd have grabbed the water pistol from the idiot and possibly thrown it across the room. I don't have much of a temper, but when you've asked someone to stop and they're still acting like it's the funniest thing ever, you have to show them you mean business.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Are you guys really equating Fi with sensitivity? How insulting! frankly I'm disgusted by the talk in this thread. Me! Sensitive? The nerve of calling me sensitive! :steam: Grrr Think I might go have a cry now, that really hurt guys..

;)

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
INTPs have feelings too. They're just hidden quite well.

However, my Fi ranks in 4th place, so... be gentle.

This. Right after Ti, Ne, Ni.

Fe/Se/Te and such tedious extroverted functions are my lowest.

Lithium Onyx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

Thank you for that correction. I thought INTP was Ti, Ne, Si, Fi. :Blush:

I'm still a Myers-Briggs novice, to a great extent.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yep. This is pretty standard for INTPs from what I've seen. Fe is usually last on the list, not Fi.

(and welcome back!)

If you use Ti to construct what you "want," then whatever you want is what you can derive as the most "rational" want from information in your environment. Wants are derived, not internally spawned. I've been asked what I "want" so often and usually I don't have an idea, I just want whatever seems most rational at the time... and if the want in question cannot be derived, then I am usually ambivalent and unable to decide arbitrarily.

Fi seems to have more of an innate sense of emotional/personal wants, the personal values system itself is based on it.
This is the most frustrating thing about being Ti-dom, IMO.

In answer to the OP, I don't think INTPs take criticism well as a rule. We either ignore or dismiss it (if we don't value your opinion), or we completely overreact (inferior Fe).
And sometimes we do both. See Adarack's story. ;)

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Fi is pretty weak with me, but I think it's in fourth place as well. Which says a bunch about how weak the lower functions are.

It's mostly Ti/Ne/Ni here.

About Ti-derived pseudo-wants -- yeah, that's about right. It's all contextual. Given the available information and circumstances, what would best satisfy me? Which can get pretty ridiculous, as circumstances devolve. A whole lot of rationalization kicks in: "Well, this could be worse. Given what I've still got here, what can I do?"

This is in part why maintenance is so hard. Hey, I can get by without buying groceries. I've got... noodles and butter and... mustard, here. I imagine... I could make something edible out of that. Let me think about it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think Fi can often play itself out where the person is unaware or unable to determine their wants.

If you use Ti to construct what you "want," then whatever you want is what you can derive as the most "rational" want from information in your environment. Wants are derived, not internally spawned. I've been asked what I "want" so often and usually I don't have an idea, I just want whatever seems most rational at the time... and if the want in question cannot be derived, then I am usually ambivalent and unable to decide arbitrarily.

This. I hate when I decide what I "want" based on the limitations of my circumstances, and then people assume that the choice represents what I generally like. Like when I have to decide what to eat, and I choose whatever's cheapest or simplest, and people ask, "so have you always liked such and such...," and (avoiding tedious explanations of my decision process), I just say "no, I've actually never had it before," and come off like I make no sense.

On the sensitivity thing, I agree with Aderack and MPD2525. I'm generally not bothered, especially if it's from a stranger or something, but certain people have the capacity to affect me. And if criticism is not warranted, or is based on a misunderstanding, I have no problem disabusing people of their mistaken notions (often loudly.) And this is probably interpreted as sensitivity.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Misunderstandings do really get under my skin -- not so much for the subject that's being misunderstood as for the fact of the misunderstanding itself. I often really have to hold back from explaining, as people tend to take that as intense attachment to the subject. Wow, they say, he's really serious about this!

No, I really could hardly care less. If you disagree, fine. That's your prerogative and your business. But at least understand what you're disagreeing with.

Often people consciously seem to find this unimportant. That just baffles me.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Misunderstandings do really get under my skin -- not so much for the subject that's being misunderstood as for the fact of the misunderstanding itself. I often really have to hold back from explaining, as people tend to take that as intense attachment to the subject. Wow, they say, he's really serious about this!

No, I really could hardly care less. If you disagree, fine. That's your prerogative and your business. But at least understand what you're disagreeing with.

You said it best. I hate it when people think rational discourse can get thrown out the window when there's a disagreement of some kind. Suddenly it's ok to attack the other person verbally, make poor inferences, then blame the other person for them.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP

Then buy the premium version. The free version of the product is perfectly usable.

No company can survive by giving all of their product for free. They would go bust, and then nobody would get anything.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
There's this one guy -- for about a year and a half I abstained from most Internet forums, as he would follow me around to scream at me. You'd think it would be easy to tune him out, but he was relentless and vicious, and his mere presence lowered the tone of any community. If I made any effort to explain a subject, however calmly and sensibly I did so, he'd call me shrill and illogical, bring up reams of personal details about me, and make the strangest assertions as obvious fact to illustrate how stupid I was. Then he'd bring in several of his troll friends to scream me off the forum for a few weeks. Then they'd sit around, congratulating each other for driving me away.

If I changed forums, they'd follow me and repeat the process. It got a bit much. No talking to the guy, no avoiding him. And he just fermented this horrible irrational hostility in his wake.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Then buy the premium version. The free version of the product is perfectly usable.

No company can survive by giving all of their product for free. They would go bust, and then nobody would get anything.
Afraid you've lost me. The most I get out of this is something about expending energy on people when I don't need to.

Ezion

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This is in part why maintenance is so hard. Hey, I can get by without buying groceries. I've got... noodles and butter and... mustard, here. I imagine... I could make something edible out of that. Let me think about it.
Ditto. Much rather make do with the stuff I have for maintenance tasks.

A proper meal?
It would take 10-15 minutes to drive to a restuarant and 45 minutes to eat, plus a 10-15 minute drive back...cooking food could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours...I'll just make a sandwhich.

Often I can't tell if I like or dislike a thing. So long as it doesn't interrupt my train of thought, and doesn't generate any particularly interesting new thoughts, I tend to be profoundly impartial. I have trouble recognizing what mood I'm in, and rarely think of taking it into account. Because, you know, why? That's just me.

Sounds about right.

Asking me for preferences immediately leads to a discussion about the merits of the item in question, usually given specific contexts. That is if the item/concept is easily defineable in the first place; otherwise we'll need a pre-discussion on the semantics of the thing in question.

The conclusion is that the object/idea in question has merits in certain contexts, but not others.

Your average person has given up before this point.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There's this one guy -- for about a year and a half I abstained from most Internet forums, as he would follow me around to scream at me. You'd think it would be easy to tune him out, but he was relentless and vicious, and his mere presence lowered the tone of any community. If I made any effort to explain a subject, however calmly and sensibly I did so, he'd call me shrill and illogical, bring up reams of personal details about me, and make the strangest assertions as obvious fact to illustrate how stupid I was. Then he'd bring in several of his troll friends to scream me off the forum for a few weeks. Then they'd sit around, congratulating each other for driving me away.

If I changed forums, they'd follow me and repeat the process. It got a bit much. No talking to the guy, no avoiding him. And he just fermented this horrible irrational hostility in his wake.
I'm sorry that happened to you Aderack.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...If I changed forums, they'd follow me and repeat the process. It got a bit much. No talking to the guy, no avoiding him. And he just fermented this horrible irrational hostility in his wake.

He must have considered you very important. I can't imagine wasting that much energy needlessly trying to hurt and undermine another human being... on the Internet, no less.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

:laugh: Classic.

Reminds me of the immortal words Confucius once said, "Don't get it twisted."

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's all contextual. Given the available information and circumstances, what would best satisfy me? Which can get pretty ridiculous, as circumstances devolve. A whole lot of rationalization kicks in: "Well, this could be worse. Given what I've still got here, what can I do?"
This sucks!
I'm trying to buy a car. I've been trying to buy a car for six months, but I can't decide. I actually prefer having my choices constrained - budget, practicality, etc - because without that I have no way of organizing the data or choosing between equally valid options. And then I just reach stalemate, or else I get so exasperated that I go out and buy the first thing I see. I don't seem to be able to make simple purchasing decisions like a normal person!!!

How do other INTPs handle this?
I often really have to hold back from explaining, as people tend to take that as intense attachment to the subject. Wow, they say, he's really serious about this!

I know. I get worked up about this too. It's mad though, really.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ favorite color? When in doubt go simple. If all the options are pretty valid and equal I go with the one that stood out to me originally.

Qre:us

Ah, my familiar three common emotional ranges -

Most times, I am indifferent.

ONE...the 'meh' phase.

Frustration at miscommunication or misunderstanding is probably the emotion that I feel the most.

TWO

Yes, and, people read this as a personal emotion directed at them, when it's really more to do with the situation, as I see them making it more convoluted, which creates stagnation in discussing the idea at hand, which, inevitably, leads to my...frustration. Barriers to idea-discussion is probably my easiest trigger for frustration.

The others usually interpret it as them getting to me, personally. :doh:

The other emotion is excitement. I get really happy and excited, really quickly. I love to laugh and one funny phrase can alter whatever frustrating situation I find myself in.

:yes: THREE.

But I'm not an INTP, so I guess it's not relevant.
Oh yeah, OP - disregard.