• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Older INTPs: Have you become more or less social over the years?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Has there been a trend in your sociability or has it mostly remained the same?

(Older as in 30+ years old)

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
You have to step out of your comfort zone to be sociable. It matures when you hang around with the right people that can increase your courage.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My dad is an older INTP. Although he doesn't go to social events as much as he used to, his job (as the head of a nonprofit) requires him to be very sociable and friendly. He's told me before that when he was younger, he wasn't nearly so gregarious as he is now. Still, though, at the end of the day, he has to relax, and I think he prefers the calmer home atmosphere.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More, but in an concentrated way.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More sociable.

... by FAR.
(And without drinking, too!)

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More socially confident. Through experience I've learned what the required response to give or show people through my trials and errors over time. This just means I'm more comfortable when I do engage others but if given the choice, I'd still rather not.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Disclaimer: While I'm more sociable, my energy levels are still restrained by introversion.

IOW, I can socialize well... but I still crash after too much exertion and need to routinely escape.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not saying that I'm old, but when I was even younger than I am now I was pretty hit or miss with being sociable. I couldn't get a whole group to like me. I always alienated someone or alienated myself from a few of them.

Anyways, I'm steadily growing in sociability. I've heard through the grapevine that people consider me strange, but it's better than being a freak I suppose.:nice:

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You mean there's hope for us youngsters? Huzzah!

I'm still young and socially stupid, but University will force me out of my shell. :) Although I wouldn't say social skills improve with age, but regular practice. It's like fitness, really.

Captain Obvious is currently absent, so his female assistant is standing in today.

Accept

MBTI Type
TRUE
I've become far more selective about the where, what, when, who and even the why, therefore I am less likely to socialize because others think I should. Now, when I do participate, it is something to enjoy rather than endure, and since I am a willing participant, we all seem to benefit from the experience.

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
I think the INTP, in it's pure, un-managed form, can be a very unhealthy archetype

1. INTP's aren't exactly the most employable archetype. (in terms of corporate needs)

2. Most young INTPs just troll around the web. I mean, our real-life sociability is already questionable, why still extend it in the virtual realm?

That's basically creating a double/triple whammy of loser-ness in us, if we don't progress, or tweak ourselves a bit.

Between sociability and work ethics, I think the former is more manageable, if not something that can be realistically improved. I mean, why retain layers and layers of liability.

For one, INTPs probably understand MBTI more than any other archetype (and is possibly the achetype that needs of understanding it the most, because it's the most sensible framework of idea that explains the INTP quirkiness).

From there, understanding a significant fraction of the other archetypes is easy. MBTI is is a significant workaround model, even if we may take it to a lesser regard because of the many intangibles it presents.

Sociability can inevitably follow.