• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How to get a good conversation from a non-NT?

Honu26

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm in a work situation where I am living and working with the same 12 people for the next 6 weeks, and we will not have anyone else to interact with, except virtually, during this time. Pretty extreme, I know. My problem is that I'm having difficulties to getting a "good", intellectually satisfying conversation from most of my co-workers. Everytime I throw something out that most NTs would be all over for at least an hour, the topic drops to the ground in about 2 minutes at most. The other challenge is that we're not allowed to talk about work at the dining able, so I can't ask about the work that they are doing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on starting good conversations with non- NT?

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Well throw politics and religion out the door, every time I've started a discussion on either it turns up badly.

amelie

MBTI Type
XNFJ
What are some topics that will keep NT's going for at least an hour? Non-NT inquiring minds want to know...

For NF's (at least my circle), conversations about people and their behavior, philosophy, pop-culture, news (avoid politics), technology, literature, etc. are good openers, but of course it varies widely by the person you are taking to.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Half, if not most of my good conversations have been with non-NTs.

The most commons initations of such conversations are:

I ambush my acquaintance with some bizarre trivia or philosophical proposition.

I show them a study or new report I found interesting, make a comment or two, ask for their thoughts.

Or the old stand-by, I tell them about an unusual or important thing that happened to me (that one usually works well on the other person).

That being said, I've also been happy with a lot of my conversations when they've been started by other, non-NT people. So I can let them come to me.

EDIT: And to Willfrey: It's basically a social rule of thumb, that unless with intimates or a group specifically convened for such discussion, do not bring up religion or politics.

Honu26

MBTI Type
INTJ
What are some topics that will keep NT's going for at least an hour? Non-NT inquiring minds want to know...

For NF's (at least my circle), conversations about people and their behavior, philosophy, pop-culture, news (avoid politics), technology, literature, etc. are good openers, but of course it varies widely by the person you are taking to.

My most recent example at lunch today is closer to the topics you listed. We were talking about a long distance relationship that one of coworkers, not present, has with his now fiancee. In that conversation I wondered whether how many long distance relationships nowadays would last if we had to depend just on snail mail or phone to maintain it (like 10-20+ years ago) instead of VOI or IM, email, blogging, etc. That dropped pretty quickly.

(What I really wanted to talk about- but held back- are the local tree and flower varieties and what the native species still exist in the area. )

Honu26

MBTI Type
INTJ
Half, if not most of my good conversations have been with non-NTs.

The most commons initations of such conversations are:

-----

That being said, I've also been happy with a lot of my conversations when they've been started by other, non-NT people. So I can let them come to me.

Thanks. I'll have to try some of these with these particular people. Mostly, I've been doing a lot of listening, and trying to ask some questions to turn the conversation into something that would be interesting to me intellectually (or at least amusing or worth my time).

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
SP - sports, music, movies, outdoors stuff, cars

SJ - stock market, business, history, their families

NF - If you were a fruit, which one would you be?

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
IF they were a fruit?

This is NFs we're talkin' about, J-bone!

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Haha, that's about right Jeffster!

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I find I can have a pretty good conversation with other types if I've gotten to know them. Is it possible for you to speak to the others one-on-one? In a large group of people of different temperaments, it's pretty easy to get bowled over if you try to bring up something, especially things of a specific and scientific nature. If you're familiar with some of them, it's easier to bring up things you have in common, and you might discover something that satisfies your need for good, quality information beyond gossip and general blather.

If all else fails, just think about them as moderately interesting human specimens and study their habits and behaviors. While they're droning on about Grey's Anatomy you can try to guess what sort of family lives they have, what their darkest thoughts are, and what crimes they would commit if pushed to the limit. You know, like a game.

IF they were a fruit?
Lol.