• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do you like Lost?

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
I hate that show.

Don't get me wrong, it has its moments. And some of the actors are alright. But the reason why I haven't been able to follow the show is because I can't sit through an entire episode-- they're not absurd enough to be entertaining, and not cohesive enough to be taken seriously. Then again, I'm the kind of person who can't read a mystery unless I flip to the end, find out who did it, and then go back and enjoy the story.

The general plot is delivered as if by a four-year-old with ADHD. If the story's going someplace, it's too fast to be satisfying or even make sense. Of course this rarely happens, and you get the feeling that the writers are off in a field playing with butterflies until someone thinks of another animal they would like to battle.

Also, mixing so many different sci fi/fantasy elements doesn't strike me as creative so much as sloppy and desperate.

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, i love lost for the simple fact that the title predicts the general feeling you will likely feel when your watching. Its like the entire show is a pun of itself.

That's funny.

I have a love-hate relationship. It seemed like the first and second season had a bunch of filler episodes because they weren't sure where the story was going at first. I am a little nervous that it won't resolve in a comprehensive way, but will deem it awesome if it does.

Sad Lounge

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
?
But I will admit... when I've tried to explain Lost to friends of mine who don't watch it, it has sounded incredibly stupid. But for whatever reason, it doesn't seem dumb at all when I watch it.

That's because the show is so well-written, directed, and acted out, that when you're watching it, everything that happens is engaging and convincing. You abandon conventional logic in the intense drama of the moment. But when you are trying to explain it to someone else, it won't make sense out of context. It's a testament to the creators and the distinctive stylistic marks they've made. In lesser hands, the story would seem absurd. But as it is, it's very entertaining.

I've always related to the show empathetically first, and logically second. We can relate to the emotional struggles of the characters much better than we can relate to time travel, smoke monsters, and electromagnetic energy.

I love it. I'm curious to see how it will end.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I love it! But i've watched it all on DVD not TV over the last 2 months with a 3 week gap trying to get the disk for the season 4 finale! And Now I've started again!

Its insane! I love how you have mythology, science and drama in the one show! It makes me think! And I love that!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I love it. My NT can't get past the annoying, dramatic music. If I watch it while he's home and awake, I use headphones.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I liked the first few seasons.

The last and current season suck.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love it and finally caught up after being about half a season behind.

But I'm glad it's ending, it's about run its course.
Nothing's worse than a decent series that lasts two seasons too long (a la X-Files).

spoiler:

What I particularly like is about how the Man in Black is playing John Locke pretty similarly to how John actually acted... and it fits. It's sort of eerie... he's like a perfected/ideal Locke who is Not Locke at all.

I miss Juliette. Even though I can watch her on V now.

Great injoke too, when Richard called the island "hell" and insisted they were all already dead... because after Season One, most of the fan base had speculated that the secret was that the island was hell and everyone was already dead.

That's because the show is so well-written, directed, and acted out, that when you're watching it, everything that happens is engaging and convincing. You abandon conventional logic in the intense drama of the moment. But when you are trying to explain it to someone else, it won't make sense out of context. It's a testament to the creators and the distinctive stylistic marks they've made. In lesser hands, the story would seem absurd. But as it is, it's very entertaining.

I see this issue as trying to explain a WEB in a LINEAR fashion... like trying to explain a 3D object in 2D language. it just doesn't work. Try to explain the Internet with a 2D image.

Lost is not sequential.
Most images, comments, and interactions are reflective of something that happened before or later.

The time elements only highlight this.
The first few seasons, the "flasbacks" showed how current interactions were reflected in the past.
The flash-forwards showed how current interactions were mirroring future interactions.
Now the flash-sideways are showing how patterns are playing out on two timelines at once. I love how the "sideways" plot reflects on the "island" plot -- two different timelines, but the two plots are reflecting on each other in some way and giving context to each other.

I've always related to the show empathetically first, and logically second. We can relate to the emotional struggles of the characters much better than we can relate to time travel, smoke monsters, and electromagnetic energy.

In terms of function, I'm more apt to see it as (1) N, then (2) F, then (3) T, then (4) S in terms of approach.

The real story is not the external plot, it's the continually evolving relational web among the cast. Which makes sense, considering what we're discovering about the basic reason for them being called to the island in the first place.

I love it. I'm curious to see how it will end.

I have no idea.
That's part of the appeal.
I've really loved not knowing what would happen next.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i love it. my favorite show atm.

G

garbage

Isn't this the show that explains its symbolism and allegory through captions at the bottom of the screen

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
My INTJ HATES Lost. He says the characters are dull and the flashbacks are irritating as hell. I don't understand what he's taking about, I love this show!!

Whenever I watch it, he just hides away in the spare room, with his bourbon and old LP's to keep him company. He doesn't even want to hear it on. Lol

P

Phantonym

I like it. I like the flashbacks and putting the big picture together piece by piece. Saying that I love it would be a bit too much, it's just like any other show out there. When it ends, I won't waste another second thinking about it, as usual.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i hardly get any of the plot. i don't have the memory or i don't even store the strategical infos, to begin with. i like the tension, "for the sake of tension", whatever, as long as it is of psychological nature. i can do without tension caused by action. most of the characters have enough depth (by now, even if they are inconsistent) and are annoying enough, to constitute a credible real-life replacement, behind a safety screen, and with a pause button, so i can alt-tab to the more or less intelligent stuff in my browser.

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
I like it. I was really into it season two and three, four was good and 5 started losing me. Netflix online only has 5 seasons up so that's all I've seen.

I loved Charlie and almost broke up with it because of that. <3 Linus too.

I left off with that really ANNOYING TALL BLONDE GIRL that is into Dr. Hottie. I don't know what it is about her but I really do not like her. She may be the reason I never made a huge attempt to watch any additional episodes after that.

I hope the island eats her.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I have avoided watching it because the never ending mystery would be unbearable.

People explain it and I just want to solve the puzzle. I would rather wait till it finishes, then spend half an hour reading on Wikipedia the explanation, which I would find enjoyable if it's a good one.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I left off with that really ANNOYING TALL BLONDE GIRL that is into Dr. Hottie. I don't know what it is about her but I really do not like her. She may be the reason I never made a huge attempt to watch any additional episodes after that.

I hope the island eats her.

LOL, it did!

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Lost rules for the same reason Myst rules. I hope we see new gadgets, puzzles, and technologies before the series ends! First 5 seasons were solid, though season 6 isn't doing it for me yet-- just a bunch of oohing and ahhing over the alt timeline, plus the "guess the secrets" game from the writers on the island. Time to start upping the stakes and tying things together, yo!

(And yes, I share the ENTJ impatience of needing to know conclusions, which is why I cheat and look up the spoilers. :devil:)

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I enjoy Lost, though I found the latter parts of season 2 a bit tedious and the beginning of season 3 pretty terrible, like they were doing things with no purpose or reason. (SPOILERS) I mean, ostensibly there was no reason to find the tail section of the plane, it was merely a device to pad out some minor side stories for a season (any potentially major character from the tail ended up dead anyways except Bernard, who is scarcely a major or integral part of the show). The added emphasis on the hatch, something that seems fairly insubstantial to the main storyline, was probably also pretty useless in the long run save introducing Desmond. Of course, the writers/creators of the show intended it to run for 5 seasons and the execs, after realizing it was a hit, demanded they pad it out another year. Hence the fact that about half of both season 2 and 3 seem disposable and too interested in side-stories and subplots.

Since the end of season 3, though, I feel they've maintained the idea that they're building to something fairly well. Especially in this final season, wherein things are mostly more focused than ever.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you like the TV show Lost?
I'm guessing that INTP's like Lost and INTJ's don't like it.
I don't like it.

Well, I've seen every episode since the start of the show, so I must like it enough (am INTJ). It is not as good as 24 but is better than vast majority of other stuff that's on TV.