• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ's on anti-depressants

thescientist

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I am on a small dose of lexapro, and I believe it to have helped without changing my personality (although I was afraid of that). In the end, I believe the best cure to INTJ anxiety is a group of ENFP friends. Also, watch David Fincher's Fight Club.
Lexapro is what I'm currently on. It's the only thing I've really tried.

Interesting suggestion about ENFP friends. I know exactly what you mean about ENFP's. I do love ENFP's. They are so inspiring, uplifting and positive...BUT...see below

I've never been on medication. I feel like I might become addicted after I try them. Why? Because I am always depressed. I hate myself and I can never attain the standards I want to achieve (which are essentially impossible, trust me). I think that most INTJs are doomed to be unhappy with their lives. Although, I can say that the happiest I've ever felt in my life was after speaking with an ENFP girl. I don't know what it was about her, but talking with her for a few hours really made me happy (for a few days).

Later, when my feelings overcame me and I put my heart out to her, she rejected me. This has caused me to be even more depressed than usual. Sometimes (really all the time), I wish I was ....
I'm so sorry to hear your ENFP experience. I went through something similar recently so I can TOTALLY relate. An ENFP at work was interested in me initially. We dated a few times. When he realized he was no longer interested, he led me on at work for a long time and then gave me the cold shoulder. It was so hurtful because I had really fallen hard for him. After I confronted him about it, he was just vindictive and acted like a petulant child.

I unfortunately have to continue seeing him at work. He's back from his month long trip tomorrow. I'm just bracing myself and telling myself I deserve better. Lots of positive self-talk. But this has definitely messed with my anxiety/depression.

However, I do realize their potential to uplift us in ways others cant. They are so inspiring when they are being genuine with us. I guess I could stick with female ENFP's, but it's hard as it is for INTJ to make friends, so I dont have any close ENFP friends at the moment. :(

I have a history of depression/suicide on my dads side of the fam (Dad is also INTJ, but interestingly enough, I've never seen him depressed). I think I def need psychotherapy soon. I don't like my SOLE dependence on the medication right now. I think therapy will help me rely less on the meds although not completely eliminate their need.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was diagnosed with chronic depression about a year ago. The medication has reduced my anxiety to the point where I'm very nonchalant about things (very unlike my usual INTJ self). I find myself not caring so much about perfection or deadlines or quality (shock!). But this reduction in anxiety helps me deal with my depression.

I feel that underneath it all I'm still an INTJ, but I wonder if the medication is making more INTP? Can medication temporarily change personality type?

The medication is a blessing and a curse at the same time. I love being able to not care! But then I feel disappointed in myself for not caring enough! ugh...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Please be careful that you don't forget about those in your love who love you, spouse, family, friends, etc.

My wife was on Zoloft for a yerar and a half in the late nineties and I was but an apparition in her life during that time, which was really hard foer me to deal with.

Also, what ultimately won my wife's battle with anxiety/depression was lots of counseling and CBT workbooks at home. The meds only got her through the acute and debilitationg onset of it all, but did not show signs of allowing her to move forward in peace beyond the initial benefit.

Good luck!

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I was diagnosed with chronic depression about a year ago. The medication has reduced my anxiety to the point where I'm very nonchalant about things (very unlike my usual INTJ self). I find myself not caring so much about perfection or deadlines or quality (shock!). But this reduction in anxiety helps me deal with my depression.

I feel that underneath it all I'm still an INTJ, but I wonder if the medication is making more INTP? Can medication temporarily change personality type?

The medication is a blessing and a curse at the same time. I love being able to not care! But then I feel disappointed in myself for not caring enough! ugh...

Has anyone else experienced this?

INTPs very much care, just about different things.

You know you're an INTJ when you're being hard on yourself about being hard on yourself. All you can really do is laugh about it. ;)

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Makes sense that:

INTJ- Anxiety disorder
INTP- Depression

Of the two I think INTJ have it worse.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Makes sense that:

INTJ- Anxiety disorder
INTP- Depression

Of the two I think INTJ have it worse.

According to many professional in the mental health industry, anxiety and depression are thought of as two sides of the same coin. Prolonged anxiety can cause depression out of the hopelessness in trying to mitigate the anxiety. Being depressed for a prolonged period of time can cause anxiety, fear that it will never go away. I'm sure there are lots of ways to offer generalities as to how the two relate as such, but that's the gist of it.

Also, I don't see how "J" or "P" or any other function can be tagged as potentially depressive/anxiolytic, especially considering the vast diversity in human experiences that can cause underlying emotional stress to anyone of any type. Not flaming or trolling, just thinking out loud... :)

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
According to many professional in the mental health industry, anxiety and depression are thought of as two sides of the same coin. Prolonged anxiety can cause depression out of the hopelessness in trying to mitigate the anxiety. Being depressed for a prolonged period of time can cause anxiety, fear that it will never go away. I'm sure there are lots of ways to offer generalities as to how the two relate as such, but that's the gist of it.

Also, I don't see how "J" or "P" or any other function can be tagged as potentially depressive/anxiolytic, especially considering the vast diversity in human experiences that can cause underlying emotional stress to anyone of any type. Not flaming or trolling, just thinking out loud... :)

Do you work in mental health Halla? This sounds like something a professional would say.

Yes the two are intertwined but one is usually dominant over the other.

J need for perfection would seem to cause anxiety over inconsistencies known as life.

P lack of motivation and lethargy would seem less prone to anxiety and more to feelings of negative self reflection and immobility.

I have no data to support this. Just anecdotal evidence I've observed.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you work in mental health Halla? This sounds like something a professional would say.

No, I am not a mental health professional. I'm just sharing wisdom that I've gained over many years working with my wife and various counselors in her quest to manage symptoms of anxiety and depression. :D

Yes the two are intertwined but one is usually dominant over the other.

Really? For everyone, at all times, in all cases? I see what you are saying, for many people one of the two (anxiety/depression) is consistently most likely dominant over the other. This makes sense.

J need for perfection would seem to cause anxiety over inconsistencies known as life.

P lack of motivation and lethargy would seem less prone to anxiety and more to feelings of negative self reflection and immobility.

Those statements sound reasonable enough on their own. However, from what I've learned over the course of my life, from the people I know that have anxiety/depression, there are events in their early lives that contribute in great part to the manifestation of these neuroses as adults, regardless of their type.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm merely stating that I know some depressed "J's" and a few anxious "P's."

Anxiety and depression are most likely the two most prevalent neuroses that human beings struggle with. Either can be debilitating on their own. I give credit to those who consistently try to manage their symptoms. It is not easy. I have seen the battle fought time and again, many times. Those of us who do not have chronic anxiety/depression have alot to be thankful for. :yes:

I have no data to support this. Just anecdotal evidence I've observed.

Nor do I! :newwink:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
INTJ + Anti-Depressants = Virginia Tech Shooting

It's not a good mix!

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
finding a few other N doms in your life at various phases and places is really helpful. i have mild anxiety but i tended to lean towards depression (i think most introverted perceivers lean towards anxiety bc they don't trust the world to stay consistent and predictable and they need it more than p types). other N doms make me absolutely certain that it is possible for me to be understood in a way that i had previously lost faith in.

also living alone forced me to weigh things out, make my decisions, and gave me the freedom to explore my own values without having constant interruptions from others. taking responsibility for my own moods was a welcome shift and much easier to accomplish as a goal when i did not have to answer to anyone but myself. more balanced and less overdrawn. remembering how to use Je gets us going, re-connects us to the world and restores our place within it. action is how we create our own character, shape, space.

sgtmac_46

MBTI Type
ENTP
Is anxiety a common INTJ thing?

I don't think you've altered your basic personality. It's still there... Hopefully you can get through these problems and get off the medication sooner, rather than later. :hug:

Is anxiety common with INTJ's? OH YEAH!

kafkacat

Enneagram
inxj
I'm on medication for bi-polar, and as a result feel very low energy, but i am convinced that i need them, they work well and really help me with my anxiety issues, my sister is aways trying to get into the idea that i don't need them. It's come to the point where they serve as a security blanket from intense highs and lows, i do feel i want to get off them eventually, just not sure when. I'm sort of frightened about the idea really, find myself what if-ing all the time.

I can't believe i'm sharing this in public, i am usually very private about it, and go out of my way to conceal it, but i have the feeling that most people i interact with kinda know that there is something off about me. I think they can tell i'm slightly sedated, or unusually calm.

rk13

MBTI Type
INxJ
Please be careful that you don't forget about those in your love who love you, spouse, family, friends, etc.

I have been an INTJ since high school, though lately I have been exploring my "F" side. I have suffered from chronic anxiety since I was about 7 years old, and chronic depression since I was 14. I agree that the anxiety seems to cause/fuel depression. Just from personal experience.

I have been in a serious relationship for over a year now, and my depression/anxiety combo reared its ugly head about 7 months ago and hasn't gone away. I'm having a difficult time helping my boyfriend deal with me. I became a completely different person than he was used to. He has become a figure in the background since all I can focus on is the dark cloud that surrounds my every thought/action. He tries so hard to be supportive and loving, but he really wants to understand what I'm going through and why I'm going through it. I can't seem to explain it well enough, and he is hurt because I am constantly hurting. I want to help him any way I can. You seem to understand that kind of situation, so I'm wondering if you have any suggestions that I might pass along to him, or even for myself.