• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Te] Te users: What are emotions like for you?

sculpting

For Te dominants and Te auxiliaries, Consider the below in terms of emotional state or physiological response or whatever makes sense for you.

How do you feel emotions?

Do you not feel them most of the time except under extreme conditions?

How often do you cry?

Do your emotions suprise you when they emerge?

Can you easily supress them when they do interfere with what you have to do?

When with others that you know you love, are you filled with hapy love feelings or just content in the knowledge of attachment?

What does being in love feel like for you vs loving a family member?

EDIT: No offense intended, trying to understand tert Te a bit better for me by understanding dom and Aux Te

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ

With exaggerated pathos. The feelings sit there as a kind of background hum that governs involvement or distancing from whatever given thing, but when they're supposed to be expressed directly, they come out all soppy or overblown and I get a sense of amateur theatricality that i don't have a choice but to use.

All the time. They're a squeaky trainer wheel. I know it's there but it doesn't often touch the ground.

How often do you cry?

Almost never. I am iron man. Actual crying engages that sense of doing amateur theatrics, and the crying only goes ahead if I decide I might as well emote a little.

No. Nah. Not really. They are what they are. I take them for granted. Like the ugly two-headed mutant I keep in the basement. It came with the house.

(EDIT: Actually, I got surprised the other day. I was sitting with an INFJ when she got a phone call. It was from a friend of hers who wanted the INFJs opinion about a person. "Don't give her the job," said INFJ, and for the first time since I've known INFJ, I was pissed off with her. See, she had just summarily vetoed a person *I* had introduced to her business friend. INFJ didn't know she was vetoing something I had started because I'd met her business friend by accident a few days earlier and it happened that it would be good for another friend of mine to take part in what was being started. Had to process my reaction to that veto a little bit when it happened.)

Nope. Generally speaking I take feeling reactions for granted. The appropriate response is to accept them as prompts to action. If I attempt to suppress them, I end up fairly promptly drained of the will to keep working on whatever needed me to suppress the feeling, so I stop.

NB: this is when I'm aware of feeling reactions. I'm aware of times in my life when I've been committed to some course of action and feelings have come up and they've been passed over as matters of concern because the committed course of action was there first and takes precedence. The effect is not one of ignoring feelings, but instead, not even considering them as things at issue. (And this has always produced complex,unstable situations that eventually exploded or failed.)

When with others that you know you love, are you filled with hapy love feelings or just content in the knowledge of attachment?

Oh God.

Moral and legal. Usually.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
+1 to what Kalach said. Alternately I find when I'm supposed to express them I can't, but this is more about a failure of Fe then anything Te.

Normally I don't notice them, but when I do it's not always because of extreme outer conditions so much as because somehow I get into a mental state where emotions start flowing...actually when I do feel really emotional I often can't be sure why, I just go with it.

How often do you cry?
I cry during movies and shows all the time, but only if I'm alone. I despise crying in front of people, so if I do it's because some serious shit's going down.

Do your emotions surprise you when they emerge?
When I get strong emotions, yes it can be a bit of a surprise.

Can you easily suppress them when they do interfere with what you have to do?
I can hide them away, but ultimately they'll still play a role in decisions I make, I just rationalize the decision or try to come up with some way to reconcile my desire to make the logical/efficient/beneficial choice with my feelings. It used to be that I would chose Te rationality every time, but I've found myself indulging in doing "stupid" things according to my emotions. When I do things like that, where I know it's a poor choice and do it anyway, it feels like a failure of self-discipline.

When with others that you know you love, are you filled with happy love feelings or just content in the knowledge of attachment?
Usually just content to be around them. Occasionally I feel like I'm steeped in something like happy love feelings when everything just starts flowing and people around me are having a pleasant time.

I've been known to go years without realizing that I'm in love with someone, and then suddenly it's on and off infatuation and hate, mixed with periods where I could just happily sit next to them for the rest of my life (isn't this how everyone experiences it? to a degree?). My love for my family members is very steady and devoted.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
For Te auxiliaries...

Well, when I get emotional, it will be just for a moment. It is usually a feeling that can't be contained, and it will outburst. So, if I get angry, I could say something terrible to someone close to me. After that, I usually calm down. Same goes for other feelings too, like happiness. Suddenly I just can't contain my happiness, and I just start smiling on my own. Usually it will pass within seconds.

So in short, sometimes strong feelings get control over me, but just for a moment. Other than that, it might be difficult for others to tell what I'm feeling. And usually I'm feeling quite neutral.

That's quite so. Most of the time I'm being just plain neutral.

How often do you cry?

Very, very rarely. During the past 10 years, I recall only crying twice. Although, moments of great heroism and epicness brings a tear to my eye, but I wouldn't call that crying. When I'm feeling very sad, I rather just feel very depressed.

No, not really. Although sometimes I feel my feelings in my bones... you know, I can sense the feeling in my body rather than in my mind. It makes me wonder, why is my body preparing for a feeling.

"Hmm... my blood pressure is rising, my tone is getting little bit more aggressive, I can feel my arms starting to shake... am I getting angry? I wonder why..."

This would probably mean if I'd be able to act objectively towards persons I have feelings for. I don't recall ever having to do so, and can't really imagine a situation where I would have to. There's always "the right thing to do" in my mind, and I'd follow it through hell.

The latter. Like said previously, feelings don't last very long for me. They sometimes just outburst, and other than that, I feel merely content.

I think the main difference in here is that one is a constant and one is not. My brothers will always be my brothers, no matter what happens. This some what brings in the status quo-feeling. My family is my family, and I should treat them as such, regardless of situation.

However, love affairs are never constant. Besides the emotions, there's nothing else to keep the connection alive, so one must keep the emotions well fed. Being a service-oriented person that I am, this usually leads me into a role of a provider/supporter.

So, all in all... feelings have little relevancy in my life. They spice up the moments and work only during major events, but on day-to-day life they do not really appear.

Lithium Onyx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

Rather like a normal person, I just don't express or notice them very much at all. I don't know if it's because I can't, or because I just don't see the point. It's most often frustration or mild anger (often with myself), and sometimes the accumulation just overflows.

Most of the time, no, I almost never notice unless I'm about to explode in which case I'll try to contain it further to prevent losing my temper. It's kind of a detriment, actually.

How often do you cry?

I cry, but rarely. Even when I was a kid (a young kid), I would cry maybe once every two or three months, and usually because of something very traumatic - and usually to me. I'm not the type to burst into tears over something I see on the news or hear about happening to someone else, though I am capable of feeling vicariously.

A little, but for others observing, I think more so. I think they're under the impression all INTPs are robots/zombies. :)

When they're actually great enough for me to be conscious of them, I frequently do (or try to, anyway) because I don't want them to get in the way.

A touch of both, with more of the latter. I agree with Habba and Pony here.

I wouldn't know particularly well what the former feels like, besides the fact that it would be obviously more passionate than a fillial relationship. I've never been all that romantic in the first place, though.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For Te dominants and Te auxiliaries, Consider the below in terms of emotional state or physiological response or whatever makes sense for you.

Typically Im pretty emotionally neutral because when I do feel strongly about something its fairly consuming. I have better control over myself now than when I was younger, and am better at directing anger.

Depends on how you define "extreme." In a bad situation/ crises Im calm and work to keep those around me calm as well. If I work past the point of exhaustion, Im like a wounded animal until I can find a place to unwind and recollect. (As an aside: this question was a little biased in how it was posed.)

How often do you cry?

From time to time. Regularly if Ive had too much wine.

Nope. Im pretty aware of how I feel most of the time even if I choose not to acknowledge it.

It honestly depends. If theres something pressing going on, then generally I can hold whatever Im feeling in check if it wont be helpful. If I know whatevers going on with me is beyond my control Ill sit myself out.

Platonic love and romantic love are different things for me. With friends or family Im very expressive and affectionate. Romantic love...not so much. It seems like a loss of control in that context.

See above.

EDIT: No offense intended, trying to understand tert Te a bit better for me by understanding dom and Aux Te

So in the interest of quid pro quo--you trying to score with a ENTJ or a INTP? ;)

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
So in the interest of quid pro quo--you trying to score with a ENTJ or a INTP? ;)
The Te types are ENTJ, INTJ, ESTJ, and ISTJ.

(although some have argued that ISTP and INTP have a strong Te because of their T-dominance)

wastrd

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP

(although some have argued that ISTP and INTP have a strong Te because of their T-dominance)

I doubt it, my Te is practically nonexistent. INTPs are more likely to have a strong Ni though because of N-dominance (?) or that's probably just me.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That makes no sense to me. I thought that the extrovert v introvert was paired with the preferred perceiving or judging function. So for an INTP it would be Ni, Te, Fi, Se. Between your post and the INTp description at cognitiveprocesses I know Im wrong, but whys the pattern for function order different for Ps?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
That makes no sense to me. I thought that the extrovert v introvert was paired with the preferred perceiving or judging function. So for an INTP it would be Ni, Te, Fi, Se. Between your post and the INTp description at cognitiveprocesses I know Im wrong, but whys the pattern for function order different for Ps?

Wait are you looking at the description for INTp or INTP because NiTeFiSe is MBTI INTJ. Perceivers are dominated by a judging function (T or F) and vice versa, if that's your question. I dunno why that is though...or if that's any help as far as what you're asking goes.

Edit: wait I guess that's only introverts. Oy vey. Nevermind now I'm confused too.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
In MBTI, the J vs P determines the extroverted function. For introverts, this corresponds with their secondary function, which makes an INTJ NiTeFiSe (due to extroverted judgement) and an INTP TiNeSiFe (due to extroverted perception). In Socionics, the J vs P determines the dominant function, which makes an INTj TiNeSiFe (due to dominant judgement) and an INTp NiTeFiSe (due to dominant perception). Though apparently Socionics function descriptions differ from MBTI function descriptions, so some people do end up with the same type in both systems regardless of this.

EDIT: As this is on the next page, I feel it appropriate to mention that this is in response to the type system confusion and not to the OP.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
For the confused, here is a link with a pretty chart at the bottom showing the order of the functions.

I agree with Matthew, often people have good use of the opposite orientation of their dominant function and even their auxiliary one.

sculpting

what??? No scoring involved thank you very much!

I use more Te than the average. It can feel very odd compared to days when Fi is a bit more prevalent. By being able to compare the Te days to what you guys who are Te dominant feel like, it helps me feel a bit more normal.

From what I have seen Te dominant and aux users annoy the living shit out of Ti dominant and aux users.