• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Intuitive Bible processing

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
i would call it holistic science. Alot less harmful than social experiment, imo.
i interpret the reasoning behind praying before eating is to get more satisfaction out of eating. One of many small channels to find contentment. i've found the scripture, that has the most examples of small channels to seek contentment through ones interpretation, to be the Holy Quran. imho, you're going in a very intellectual direction with your explorations.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
i would call it holistic science. Alot less harmful than social experiment, imo.

Except for the whole going on crusades/blowing up buildings when people disagree. Hell, the worst that happens in empirical science when people disagree is scientists get in a hissy-fit and start making weak attempts at insults. Much more funny than genocide tends to be.

i interpret the reasoning behind praying before eating is to get more satisfaction out of eating. One of many small channels to find contentment. i've found the scripture, that has the most examples of small channels to seek contentment through ones interpretation, to be the Holy Quran. imho, you're going in a very intellectual direction with your explorations.

Are you getting more satisfaction because of the prayer, or because of the connection felt among the billions who pray before their meal? Perhaps it's because of the family ritual - it's well recorded that ritual leads to psychological satisfaction.

What's wrong with an intellectual direction in this case?

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Except for the whole going on crusades/blowing up buildings when people disagree. Hell, the worst that happens in empirical science when people disagree is scientists get in a hissy-fit and start making weak attempts at insults. Much more funny than genocide tends to be.

Are you getting more satisfaction because of the prayer, or because of the connection felt among the billions who pray before their meal? Perhaps it's because of the family ritual - it's well recorded that ritual leads to psychological satisfaction.

lol I'm being quite literal when I say it changes the molecular structure of the water in the food after prayer. I don't do it religiously though, I often forget to pray because I'm too hungry in the first place and have to just scarf it down, I just hope the person who cooked it was feeling good though. I most often do it when I drink water, it reminds me.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
lol I'm being quite literal when I say it changes the molecular structure of the water in the food after prayer. I don't do it religiously though, I often forget to pray because I'm too hungry in the first place and have to just scarf it down, I just hope the person who cooked it was feeling good though. I most often do it when I drink water, it reminds me.

Well, I guess the Catholic Church proves it's the one true church, since it's the only one that allows for transubstantiation.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
It's fine to have other ideas.

What is not fine is to say that all ideas have the same merit, backing, and support. There is differing quality among theories, and you don't seem to be making much of a distinction.

Again, every theory should be tested on its own merits. The issue is that you seem to give the same weight to all theories (well, at least yours) regardless of evidence. It seems more like you're defending yourself rather than trying to present a case for your theory at this point, so I won't trouble you any longer on the matter.

lol it's fine to have other ideas but you still can't admit it's not a fact? How many times should I ask you this? IS EVOLUTION A FACT? IS EVOLUTION A FACT? IS EVOLUTION A FACT? You are sooo avoiding many things I say and ask.

Yes or No? I don't want a whole essay that tries to convince me that evolution is plausible. JEESH! It's a reccurring theme!

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
lol it's fine to have other ideas but you still can't admit it's not a fact? How many times should I ask you this? IS EVOLUTION A FACT? IS EVOLUTION A FACT? IS EVOLUTION A FACT? You are sooo avoiding many things I say and ask.

Yes or No? I don't want a whole essay that tries to convince me that evolution is plausible. JEESH! It's a reccurring theme!

Is gravity a fact?

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7

Going on crusades/blowing up buildings when people disagree/genocide is social experiment not holistic science.

i don't pray as a ritual, lol. That would be like i was brainwashed or something. It's not even like i pray to respect whatever entity left the food on the planet with us. i don't even really prey, i give thanks to the very logic that left the food here along with us.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Going on crusades/blowing up buildings when people disagree/genocide is social experiment not holistic science.

i don't pray as a ritual, lol. That would be like i was brainwashed or something. It's not even like i pray to respect whatever entity left the food on the planet with us. i don't even really prey, i give thanks to the very logic that left the food here along with us.

How is it not part of the holistic science? Particularly in the evangelical religions?

Then why pray at all - isn't acknowledging those processes enough?

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Gravity is a word/symbol/label to offer an immediate mental picture of a common phenomenon.

When a rock is dropped and hits the earth, it is due to gravity. But what else is it due to?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
No.

You still didn't answer my question, you can't answer a question with a question, if you want to get irrational I can slap you silly.

Yes I can. In fact, I just did. What are your parameters for what fact is and what it's not?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Gravity is a word/symbol/label to offer an immediate mental picture of a common phenomenon.

When a rock is dropped and hits the earth, it is due to gravity. But what else is it due to?

We don't know. That doesn't mean that gravity doesn't exist.

Likewise, when bacteria change to become resistant to antibiotics following pre-observed pathways of evolution, it's due to evolution. It's also due to natural selection by genetic variation.

That makes evolution much harder science than even gravity is, because we do have an underlying cause.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aww, come on, harping on the trolls is good practice for actual debates and discussions!

lolz.... actually, it's more like shooting sluggish fish in tiny barrels with both barrels.
(... and at this point it's become, "I'm not a troll, you are!" "No, YOU are!" "No, YOU...!" ad nauseum)

I don't know if I feel like transcribing it, but I've reading "The Devil in Dover" (by Lauri Lebo), an account of the 2005 Intelligent Design / Evolution case of national headlines (which happens to have been tried right here in Harrisburg, about 5 minutes from my apartment), and a whole page of the testimony concerning Michael Behe (ID proponent, Lehigh University) dealt exactly with the notion of what a "theory" versus a "hypothesis" is and what the implications of softening definitions are.

Dude, I don't answer you because you're not providing a coherent discussion of theory and science here; you can't even say the default color of this forum scheme is blue as a fact (how can you be sure?) by your definition .... but you can make a very strong case for it. Same with evolution.

The courts have already battled this out with their expert witnesses time and again, the most recent example being here, where the court is very clear about what was shown to be true in the proceedings.

Behe tried to redefine "theory" like you have, which makes it sound like more of a hypothesis. His proposed definition was "a proposed explanation which focuses or points to physical, observable data and logical inferences." In the court proceeding, Behe was forced to admit that, by using definition, even astrology could be considered a "theory" ... and the judged noted as much in his verdict.

The NAS definition of a "theory" is a "well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses."

Evolution is falsifiable, most of these ideas you bring up or not... but you would equate them as the same? It's nowhere close. There is no better falsifiable explanation for the development of life than evolution, at this current time... and even the ID proponents had to admit as much, and openly admitted in court that their creation science involved an essential faith to make the leap. Even if evolution isn't "it" down to every detail and has flaws, it explains a great deal coherent, has been tested, and is the best theory out there right now.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
lolz.... actually, it's more like shooting sluggish fish in tiny barrels with both barrels.

(... and at this point it's become, "I'm not a troll, you are!" "No, YOU are!" "No, YOU...!" ad nauseum)

Isn't that what all human debate eventually devolves to? :doh: Or maybe I'm just too much into politics...

Nice use of two senses of the word barrel in one sentence.

I don't know if I feel like transcribing it, but I've reading "The Devil in Dover" (by Lauri Lebo), an account of the 2005 Intelligent Design / Evolution case of national headlines (which happens to have been tried right here in Harrisburg, about 5 minutes from my apartment), and a whole page of the testimony concerning Michael Behe (ID proponent, Lehigh University) dealt exactly with the notion of what a "theory" versus a "hypothesis" is and what the implications of softening definitions are.

That's pretty interesting. I don't generally have that much of a problem with religious people, or creationists as a group, but when their arguments start becoming disingenuous (like the difference between theory and hypothesis, and the confused meanings of the words in lay parlance), that's when the blood starts getting angried up. Much as when people start claiming falsifiability is a weakness of science - no, that's why it works.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
The bible tells you to pray before meals and show gratitude, but it doesn't tell you WHY. I found a reason, it quite literally makes your food BETTER and healthier, I've even conducted experiments of food decay and the one with positive prayer always looks better and fresher! take a look at my album for my experiment. However this is regarded as a pseudo science in the outside world, but the discoverer has even given lectures at harvard.

You're right it does taste better, but not for the reasons you think. Thinking that something will taste better literally makes something taste better. In fact your taste buds only engage fully when your mind is engaged. Perception and the willingness to perceive are inextricably intermeshed, especially with taste and smell.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Look if I said I use Windows. My control key doesn't do that.
Listening goes both ways. Using literal arguments isn't going to help you.

All of our senses are interlinked with the mind. I used taste for illustrative purposes.

I really don't claim to taste a difference. That's your opinion, not mine. The fact is, you said I do taste a difference, but I don't. I don't "sense" any difference at all actually, I'm relying on the knowledge and faith in my knowledge for it to work.

I really do appreciate it that you are trying to relate, but I get the sense that you still don't see it from my perspective, I have been pretty literal saying all of this stuff.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
If you can't sense that it's better, what makes it better to you?

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
If you can't sense that it's better, what makes it better to you?

Good question, it's just my opinion that it's better, but looking at my experiment, I would rather eat the food that has recieved positive energy, rather than the negative. My body get's it's energy from these chemicals so I'd rather have what I percieve as better quality chemicals, and if it's so easy as to say some nice things to change bad quality to good quality(at least to some degree, it's not water to wine here) then I'll do it.