• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Intuitive Bible processing

Snow Turtle

To our knowledge, Emoto's claims have never been independently tested by a reputable group nor been subjected to double blind testing: the standard procedure for eliminating experimenter bias. Double blind tests aside, there's not even an indication that any of the data points have been repeated. There's also no evidence that the results are uniform within the same water drop. It's unclear whether the photographed crystals were the only structure present or were part of some larger pattern. The James Randi Educational Foundation has offered a $1,000,000 prize to Dr. Emoto if his data can pass a double blind test.5 Alas, the mere thought of an evil the size of a million bucks would probably taint even the purest of water. If only we could be so tainted."

are you ever going to pick up that prize money?:cheese:

Double blind testing has be done, however whether it's reputable is another matter considering that people involved in this field would be listed as paranormal scientist.

Oh, sorry. I did get your PM earlier, but you didn't give your email address, and I only have the paper in PDF format (the private messaging system on Steve's forum doesn't allow me to upload PDF files).

Anyway, I've now printed out the paper and here are the scanned images:

IMG_0001.jpg (image)
IMG_0002.jpg (image)
IMG_0003.jpg (image)
IMG_0004.jpg (image)

Well, Mrs Cogan, I don't think I will be discussing with you or responding to your comments any further in this thread. I don't mean to be rude - it's just that our respective belief systems on reality etc are just too far apart for engagement, so we would just be wasting each other's time. Whatever meaningful discussion we could have, we've probably already had.

(And I do believe that for many readers, this has actually turned out to be a very interesting thread - certainly you contributed to that).

A triple blind test has actually been performed as well.
Entangled Minds: Water crystal replication study

As for James Randi... There are plenty of criticism on him and his experiments however it would make sense if he was honest about the entire thing, it would make sense that someone would claim the money.

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Just out of anthropological interest: are all of you guys Americans?
(especially the OP and the few others attacking the theory of evolution)

Isn't this whole discussion, the fact that it keeps generating posts, a rather American phenomenon?

This discussion is just too weird for words. (Btw. I really appreciate the efforts of you NT's patiently countering the recognisably prepacked ID-propaganda with careful step-by-step arguments and systematic scientific knowledge. It's heroic of you to bother at all.
When I suspect you could be American too, it's because I sense 1) that it's not the first time you hear these weird caricatures of rational arguments 2) you are used to having to survive in a cultural environment where you are actually expected to take such discussions serious.

PS. I live in Northern Europe and the last couple of years I've been regularly asked to debate against religious convictions (especially debating their ethics, since I'm a philosopher, not a natural scientist) in different mass media.

This means I know a lot of "our" religionists' ideas about this and that. Still I honestly can't think of any religious group or person (at least nobody able to complete primary school, not to speak about taking a university degree in Theology) in these parts of the world who would take the kind of belief expressed in the OP serious. They would accuse this whole thread of being an atheist scam to make religion seem stupid.

But I'm not so sure it's a scam. Thus my guess: is it American?

Thus the anthropological hypothesis: are you guys Americans?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

Isn't this whole discussion, the fact that it keeps generating posts, a rather American phenomenon?

This discussion is just too weird for words. (Btw. I really appreciate the efforts of you NT's patiently countering the recognisably prepacked ID-propaganda with careful step-by-step arguments and systematic scientific knowledge. It's heroic of you to bother at all.
When I suspect you could be American too, it's because I sense 1) that it's not the first time you hear these weird caricatures of rational arguments 2) you are used to having to survive in a cultural environment where you are actually expected to take such discussions serious.

PS. I live in Northern Europe and the last couple of years I've been regularly asked to debate against religious convictions (especially debating their ethics, since I'm a philosopher, not a natural scientist) in different mass media.

This means I know a lot of "our" religionists' ideas about this and that. Still I honestly can't think of any religious group or person (at least nobody able to complete primary school, not to speak about taking a university degree in Theology) in these parts of the world who would take the kind of belief expressed in the OP serious. They would accuse this whole thread of being an atheist scam to make religion seem stupid.

Yep.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6

remember when this thread started and I said the OP was a troll? and when I accused him of it he just called me names and everyone just said "NAWWWWWWW"

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4

This is why I'm uneasy with my national identity. :doh:

remember when this thread started and I said the OP was a troll? and when I accused him of it he just called me names and everyone just said "NAWWWWWWW"

I still don't buy this. It's a clever ploy if one were capable of it, but I honestly think that OP is silly/stupid enough to believe his crazy infatuations.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
This is why I'm uneasy with my national identity. :doh:

I still don't buy this. It's a clever ploy if one were capable of it, but I honestly think that OP is silly/stupid enough to believe his crazy infatuations.

Clever? Hes regurgitated propoganda and called people names, also hes avoided questions.

EDIT: Heres how he is doing this. 1) someone posts a point relating to evolution or somthing. 2)check creationist websites 3)copy 4)paste 5)if step 2 fails resort to name calling and dodge the question.

Really this just proves my point that he would of posted it in philosophy if he wanted real discussion, althought from a trolling perspective it is pretty ingeniuse. People have a tendancy to just accept negative facts about things or people they dont like. People think "creationists are idiots" so when they see this guy posting this stuff people dont even question it. In most other contexts he would of been recognized as a troll but remember hes a creationist and this forum is full of atheists so hes obviously an idiot just like an atheist in a forum full of creationists would be an idiot. INfact hes such an idiot he didnt even think to post this in the appropriate forum
Philosophy and Spirituality - Typology Central

When I confronted him about that he just resorted to normal question dodgeing tactics, the only reason he would avoid such an innocent question was if it revealed his nature as a troll. He posted this in a forum full of atheists instead of the apropriate one because he is trying to make atheists mad. I think Ive mad several posts in the past diseccting his behaviour and statements but really thats all the evidence you need.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Clever? Hes regurgitated propoganda and called people names, also hes avoided questions.

You misunderstand me, I was contesting the idea that he's a troll. I think he's just ignorant, and not capable of this high-level trolling. And suppose that he is a troll... why come here?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
-My life in the box-
I have been in the box all my life.

I always liked the box.

Then one day I stepped out of the box.

Now I'm looking at the box from the outside, and I see there might be some problems with it.

But I can't seem to get anyone in the box to step out and take a look with me. They're all convinced it's fine, and there's no reason to leave.

Heh. That's how I feel about my life too.

Except I guess I was heading in the opposite direction as you.

Funny how specifics can be so different, yet the generalities can still be just the same. :)

Yeah, that's my impression of it too.

I was steeped in this stuff [i.e., religious attacks on science] from an early age and remember being shocked at the surprise of my non-American friends when they said, "Wow, you guys still argue about this? Why is there even an issue here? Here's what we know of the facts..."

It blew my mind to realize how steeped our science and "secular pursuits" are in religion here, and it was an eye-opener to hear such a different perspective and have much of the information I had been taught recast in a different context. We don't even seem to realize it.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I was steeped in this stuff [i.e., religious attacks on science] from an early age and remember being shocked at the surprise of my non-American friends when they said, "Wow, you guys still argue about this? Why is there even an issue here? Here's what we know of the facts..."

It blew my mind to realize how steeped our science and "secular pursuits" are in religion here, and it was an eye-opener to hear such a different perspective and have much of the information I had been taught recast in a different context. We don't even seem to realize it.

I think a lot of it comes from the much different nature of American religion compared to its counterparts in Europe. Most of the iterations here are very populist in origin, trusting the local wisdom of its adherents over the declarations of elites who don't understand them. This is much different than in most other developed countries, where the Church was intimately intertwined with the state, and in many ways was completely disconnected from the people as a whole.

Dissent from the mandates of an oppressor, particularly when they only require performance of certain rituals in order to stay in good standing, is much easier than contradicting the heartfelt beliefs of loved ones. I think this helps explain how the split seems to often coincide in this country with adherents of older, established religions (Roman Catholicism, Episcopalianism) differing from newer, more populist religions (Southern Baptist Convention, Mormonism).

It also doesn't hurt that religiosity was emphasized as a point of difference between the US and the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

Frank

Wow! This makes me feel sheltered and somewhat ignorant but I assumed this sort of nonsense was debated throughout the world. It is good to hear that it is isolated to over here and that the entire world is not off it's rocker. Sort of makes me want to move though.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
You misunderstand me, I was contesting the idea that he's a troll. 1)I think he's just ignorant, and not capable of this high-level trolling. And suppose that he is a troll... 2)why come here?

1) This isnt "high-level trolling" you all just happen to be easy targets.(also noticed some circular logic Hes just ignoarant and not a troll. Why? because hes to ignorant to be a troll therefore he must be ignorant and nto a troll)

2)see point 1

3)Youve just confirmed everything I said:

"Really this just proves my point that he would of posted it in philosophy if he wanted real discussion, althought from a trolling perspective it is pretty ingeniuse. People have a tendancy to just accept negative facts about things or people they dont like. People think "creationists are idiots" so when they see this guy posting this stuff people dont even question it. In most other contexts he would of been recognized as a troll but remember hes a creationist and this forum is full of atheists so hes obviously an idiot just like an atheist in a forum full of creationists would be an idiot. INfact hes such an idiot he didnt even think to post this in the appropriate forum
Philosophy and Spirituality - Typology Central"

Snow Turtle

Mmm I doubt it's just an american thing. Debates like this happen all the time in the UK student forums that I browse, it's just that creationists tend to get shot down instantly by the amount of people arguing against it. That most christians just tend to accept that evolution is most likely true rather than go against these ideas.

"Really this just proves my point that he would of posted it in philosophy if he wanted real discussion, althought from a trolling perspective it is pretty ingeniuse. People have a tendancy to just accept negative facts about things or people they dont like. People think "creationists are idiots" so when they see this guy posting this stuff people dont even question it. In most other contexts he would of been recognized as a troll but remember hes a creationist and this forum is full of atheists so hes obviously an idiot just like an atheist in a forum full of creationists would be an idiot. INfact hes such an idiot he didnt even think to post this in the appropriate forum

Well... His purpose was to generate interest and to spread his idea so in that sense coming to the NT forums would be a much more better idea than going to the philosophy subforum which is honestly dead in comparison. If someone is genuine in spreading their ideas, I don't see how that makes them a troll since that implies his intention was to wind us up rather than spread his ideas. Discussion and curiosity has been generated. Putting his ideas down in a forum that would clash him against him so strongly only served his purpose.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
1) This isnt "high-level trolling" you all just happen to be easy targets.(also noticed some circular logic Hes just ignoarant and not a troll. Why? because hes to ignorant to be a troll therefore he must be ignorant and nto a troll)

2)see point 1

3)Youve just confirmed everything I said:

When one does not confess to being a troll, it's impossible to know whether or not they're really a believer of their arguments or a troll. If you read through his posts in other threads, you'll get the sense that he's not a hit-and-run troll, and that his opinions spread elsewhere, revealing that he's a believer. He's quick to anger, which reveals defensiveness, whereas good trolls tend to act like they're transparent to attacks, so that people get more frustrated.

Okay, so he could be a troll, but I'll look forward to a more convincing argument before conceding. At any rate, I'm sure we can all agree that this is a bad thread and that we should bomb it out of existence.
(btw your posts are tough to read from a grammar-nazi perspective... no offense)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think a lot of Christian fundamentalists don't use enough intuition when reading the Bible since they take everything like the creation story so literally though I guess you can't really expect any better since most of them were marked from birth as SJs.
:jesus:
:worthy:
:sherlock:
:rly???:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^

:17425:

As tempting as it is to blame one Keirsey temperament group for idiocy, I am coworkers with an INFJ, INFP and ENFJ who enjoy spending their time discussing demonology, why everyone on Earth must have a single, heterosexual destined life companion, and how God advises them on which breakfast cereal to eat.

They don't even bother taking the Bible as literal truth, they just jump straight into the crazy. To quote Tom Petty: I can't decide which is worse.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^

:17425:

As tempting as it is to blame one Keirsey temperament group for idiocy, I am coworkers with an INFJ, INFP and ENFJ who enjoy spending their time discussing demonology, why everyone on Earth must have a single, heterosexual destined life companion, and how God advises them on which breakfast cereal to eat.

They don't even bother taking the Bible as literal truth, they just jump straight into the crazy. To quote Tom Petty: I can't decide which is worse.

Yeah, extremism is not confined to a particular type of temperament. I've been bitten badly by a few NFs who ended up being nastier than their SJ counterparts, in regards to religious judgmentalism.